Macaws: Ruby & Friday, new pics

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spring has sprung, so the birds get lots of outdoor time now. Here are 4 semi-interesting pictures of Ruby the scarlet macaw and Friday the hyacinth. Friday is always the class clown. Ruby is the intellectual, carefully contemplating her movements and actions.
To demonstrate, here are the photos:

Friday stealing the scene with the cute lean into Ruby

Friday with the look at me, I can balance on one leg act

Friday tells Ruby in no uncertain terms that she is not to speak

Friday making fun of Ruby, by posing as "the thinker"

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness your birds are beautiful!!

How do they get along with the cats if you don't mind my asking. We are thinking to get a blue and gold macaw when we purchase our home (hopefully soon!) and we have 1 kitty. I'm still in the research stage to find out if the addition of one of these beautiful birds would be a good decision for our family (me, future DH, and our kitty). We do not plan to have children so our biggest concern is our kitty.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, I envy anyone with the time, space and resources to keep a hyacinth.
They're gorgeous.
My little Noble, Murphy, is jealous

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

In other words, Friday is part Bengal?

What a little ham that Friday is!
Great captions and gorgeous birds, Nial.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my your birds are gorgeous!

I love Macaws, It is my ambition to rescue one later in life, they live so long I'd rather give an older one a new home that adopt a young one knowing it will outlive me.

I used to have a Blue and Gold named buddy, and he was quite the ham like your Friday! I'd sing Sugar Pie Honey bunch to him and he'd dance, singing a long going "La La Laaaa!" (that freaking song still makes me cry)

There is nothing like the personality of a Macaw, they're so quirky and fun. I've never seen a hyacinth (sp? I may have confused flowers and birds there) in person how lucky you are to have one!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are such gorgeous birds! I had the pleasure of seeing flocks of the ruby ones in Costa Rica. If one is stunning there's nothing like seeing a whole tree full of them. They DO have ugly voices though!
Great pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fisheater

Oh my goodness your birds are beautiful!!

How do they get along with the cats if you don't mind my asking. We are thinking to get a blue and gold macaw when we purchase our home (hopefully soon!) and we have 1 kitty. I'm still in the research stage to find out if the addition of one of these beautiful birds would be a good decision for our family (me, future DH, and our kitty). We do not plan to have children so our biggest concern is our kitty.
The birds are fine with the cats and vice versa. These birds are way too big for the cats to consider them prey. If anything the cats steer clear because the birds make them nervous and they don't like the loud squawking. We just make sure the birds can't get near the cats......don't want a bob tailed bengal.

Originally Posted by Arlyn

Nial, I envy anyone with the time, space and resources to keep a hyacinth.
They're gorgeous.
My little Noble, Murphy, is jealous
Nobles are cute little macaws! Friday is a resource, time and space hog. But we're so used to that with bengals, he sorta fits right in. You wouldn't expect a bird to be cuddly, but this guy loves nothing more than being held close and loved on. Sometimes he refuses to get off our arms onto his perches.

Originally Posted by gemlady

In other words, Friday is part Bengal?
Yes, he's the destructive part. That boy can ruin a $20 bird toy in less than 5 mins.

Originally Posted by CLucas976

Oh my your birds are gorgeous!

I love Macaws, It is my ambition to rescue one later in life, they live so long I'd rather give an older one a new home that adopt a young one knowing it will outlive me.

I used to have a Blue and Gold named buddy, and he was quite the ham like your Friday! I'd sing Sugar Pie Honey bunch to him and he'd dance, singing a long going "La La Laaaa!" (that freaking song still makes me cry)

There is nothing like the personality of a Macaw, they're so quirky and fun. I've never seen a hyacinth (sp? I may have confused flowers and birds there) in person how lucky you are to have one!
We are very lucky. He's a handful, but he's a joy to have around. Our Friday was actually supposed to be a Blue & Gold we had picked out, but when we went to get him, he didn't like either of us. Long story short, Friday the hyacinth, loved both of us and the deal was sealed.

Originally Posted by 2dogmom

Those are such gorgeous birds! I had the pleasure of seeing flocks of the ruby ones in Costa Rica. If one is stunning there's nothing like seeing a whole tree full of them. They DO have ugly voices though!
Great pics!
Oh yeah, Ruby and Friday can make some of the most god-awful screeches you've ever heard. Mostly they are very quiet though, the screeching is pretty predictable: They think their feeding time is late, Teri or I have neglected to say hello to them first after arriving home, they feel their out of cage time was cut short, or they can see us in the backyard and they are doing the flock call. 90% of the time they quietly mumble about random bird stuff or are silent.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of them are very gorgeous. Friday just has the most precious personality

Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

You wouldn't expect a bird to be cuddly, but this guy loves nothing more than being held close and loved on. Sometimes he refuses to get off our arms onto his perches.
That is just So SWEET

Friday the hyacinth, loved both of us and the deal was sealed.
He is where he was meant to be

Oh yeah, Ruby and Friday can make some of the most god-awful screeches you've ever heard. Mostly they are very quiet though, the screeching is pretty predictable: They think their feeding time is late, Teri or I have neglected to say hello to them first after arriving home, they feel their out of cage time was cut short, or they can see us in the backyard and they are doing the flock call. 90% of the time they quietly mumble about random bird stuff or are silent.
This made me laugh out loud
That is so funny. What joy and laughter they must bring to you and Teri

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're both so gorgeous! So you let them outside free? They're not inclined to fly away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

They're both so gorgeous! So you let them outside free? They're not inclined to fly away?
Thanks! Both birds primary flight feathers are clipped back. Without those they can't get enough air under their wings to take flight. Friday's are starting to grow back, so soon he'll have to be confined to the enclosed porch or he'll need to get clipped again.
I'm inclined to keep both of them clipped all the time, because they really enjoy being out under the shade of our trees.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday is quite the character, both are beyond gorgeous birds. What a nice family you have. Thank you for sharing them with us here! More pictures please.
Sounds like Friday was the match meant for you guys. What a neat story. I have always wanted a Macaw, but realistically that is not happening anytime in the near future, and might never be in my lifetime.
I have several concerns and like you if I did get one I would want that bird to have the best of everything pet bird life has to offer. They just take so much but I think would be very worth it. For now I will live through your pictures and stories

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both stunning!! What gorgeous birds!!
We defintiely need more pictures!!!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW! Your birds are stunning!!! You are just surrounded by beautiful creatures!