or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Publix brand cat food..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Publix brand cat food..

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Has anyone tried this brand for their kitties? My friend is on a budget(aren't we all), and she tried the wet food. They seemed to really like it. I would never think to feed Pumpkin Publix brand..but...I was just curious. My cat is a very finicky eater. Thanks
post #2 of 18
H, I have never heard of this brand as I live in England and I don't think they do it here, I just wanted to say that I think it depends on what your cat likes. My cat Billy has a sensitive stomach and he can't eat alot of cat foods, especially the more expensive ones which seem to be very rich for him, they make him very sick. I ahve found a brand of wet food that suits him Kitekat and its one of the budget brands here-£2.45 for 6 tins, I don't care though-it suits my kitties. xx
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks....Publix is a chain of supermarkets where I live(So.Fl) Its their own brand.
post #4 of 18
I would just try a tn then and if its ok for your cats then fine, I have bought alot of supermarket own branded foods, you usually find that they are made bythe big cat food retailers. x
post #5 of 18
I honestly would not feed Publix food.

I can't seem to find any ingredients listing anywhere, however what I did find is that its produced by Mars co. the same company producing Pedegree, Whiskas, and Royal Canin products.

I generally run from these companies as it's rarely packed with any actual food. (including the RX diets i unfortunately have to feed)

When I was tighter for money, I always bought Iams for sensitive stomache, because it was the only grocery store food I could find that had real meat in it, Turkey being the first ingredient. (I bought Iams Natural dog food once or twice)

My theory is, take some spare cash (dollars and change ad up quickly) set it aside, save like $40 and buy a big bag of good quality food where you can recognize the ingredients. I fed Innova, because for less than $40 I can get 15lbs of cat food, which lasts me quite a while, and I know whats in it and why.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas976 View Post
I honestly would not feed Publix food.

I can't seem to find any ingredients listing anywhere, however what I did find is that its produced by Mars co. the same company producing Pedegree, Whiskas, and Royal Canin products.

I generally run from these companies as it's rarely packed with any actual food. (including the RX diets i unfortunately have to feed)

When I was tighter for money, I always bought Iams for sensitive stomache, because it was the only grocery store food I could find that had real meat in it, Turkey being the first ingredient. (I bought Iams Natural dog food once or twice)

My theory is, take some spare cash (dollars and change ad up quickly) set it aside, save like $40 and buy a big bag of good quality food where you can recognize the ingredients. I fed Innova, because for less than $40 I can get 15lbs of cat food, which lasts me quite a while, and I know whats in it and why.
40$ for 15 lb is a lot for what is in your bag... and you may want to define what food is as most all foods have similar base ingredients... HUMAN grade has not been defined by AFFCO, plus many manufacturers put it on the marketing since they use a human facility at night after the human stuff is done.
TO the OP
IMHO the best at most markets is Purina's Natural s.... has chicken meal as the FIRST ingredient and NO artificial colors or flavors, no animal by products ...some stores now have Brandon farms organics ( costs as much as the pet store) but no mystery ingredients ...
post #7 of 18
I have found that most store-brand CANNED foods aren't much different from the name-brand stuff. Of course not as good as a by-product-free brand, but sometimes that's not affordable. My local grocery store's brand of canned food is even grain-free. But I would never feed any cat store-brand dry food. That stuff is just flavored sawdust, basically.
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone..I think I'm going to try the Purina Naturals. I was kind of hesitant about the store brand anyway.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
40$ for 15 lb is a lot for what is in your bag... and you may want to define what food is as most all foods have similar base ingredients... HUMAN grade has not been defined by AFFCO, plus many manufacturers put it on the marketing since they use a human facility at night after the human stuff is done.
TO the OP
IMHO the best at most markets is Purina's Natural s.... has chicken meal as the FIRST ingredient and NO artificial colors or flavors, no animal by products ...some stores now have Brandon farms organics ( costs as much as the pet store) but no mystery ingredients ...
http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.asp?id=1407

My definition of food and decent quality.

a 15lb bag lasts me 4-6 months feeding twice a day so for less than $40, its really not a lot of money.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas976 View Post
http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.asp?id=1407

My definition of food and decent quality.

a 15lb bag lasts me 4-6 months feeding twice a day so for less than $40, its really not a lot of money.
you must be feeding two cats ... and I would suggest getting your nutrition info from More legit places than off the manufacturers site or based off of it ... I feed a food = in quality to innova or wellness ( IMHO a bit better since I feed a less grain formula) that costs 65 cents a lb... If you truly inform yourself you can learn alot
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
you must be feeding two cats ... and I would suggest getting your nutrition info from More legit places than off the manufacturers site or based off of it ... I feed a food = in quality to innova or wellness ( IMHO a bit better since I feed a less grain formula) that costs 65 cents a lb... If you truly inform yourself you can learn alot
No... I bet he is feeding one cat... 15lbs lasts way less than that here (roughly 2 months), and I feed only 2 cats that eat below the recommended portion on the bag.
IMO I rather feed EVO from them which is grain fee, than Innova...
post #12 of 18
I would have rathered EVO (actually I really wanted to splurge for Orijen) too, but the access to it around here is limited (non existent for Orijen)as well as my funds, so I went a bit cheaper on the food, and my animals did extremely well on it.

I was going for the ingredients list on the site, rather than copy and paste all of it, and I'm not soley advertising for Innova, or saying there are no other good foods out there, just sharing my experience, what it costs me, and why.

I've spent my fare share of time in the pet store reading ingredients,fare share researching foods as well, and ultimately went with the one I could afford, that I felt comfortable with feeding to my animals.

And that is a 15lb bag for one cat, not two.

oh, and I am a she also, Lucas is my last name
post #13 of 18
The OP only mentions one cat also so I would think it would be fine to mention how long a bag lasts one cat
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas976 View Post
I would have rathered EVO (actually I really wanted to splurge for Orijen) too, but the access to it around here is limited (non existent for Orijen)as well as my funds, so I went a bit cheaper on the food, and my animals did extremely well on it.

I was going for the ingredients list on the site, rather than copy and paste all of it, and I'm not soley advertising for Innova, or saying there are no other good foods out there, just sharing my experience, what it costs me, and why.

I've spent my fare share of time in the pet store reading ingredients,fare share researching foods as well, and ultimately went with the one I could afford, that I felt comfortable with feeding to my animals. the Highlight is my food motto ... find the best you and kitty agree on that you can afford

And that is a 15lb bag for one cat, not two.

oh, and I am a she also, Lucas is my last name
Thank you for the extra information.... I hope you did not think I was being mean just wanting or giving some extra info as many use just a manufacturers site to deem quality....

40$ for 6 months is definitely not to bad as roughly 6.90 a month which is very reasonable .... I have found on ave a average size cat eats 3-5 lbs a month....

For the OP buying in bigger bags usually reduces the cost...

Example : see the above ... for me I bought 8lb bags when I had one cat and 20lbs with two cats... The food I bought the 8 lb bag was 15$ and the 4lb was 10 so I saved 2.50 a month buying bigger.... I try not to buy more than 2 months worth of naturally preserved foods as they do start to degraded upon opening( though some on here have excellent storage methods that helps prolong food freshness)

Currently as a FYI I am feeding 8 cats and using 25lbs in 5 weeks but mine also get some wet and raw ....
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas976 View Post
I would have rathered EVO (actually I really wanted to splurge for Orijen) too, but the access to it around here is limited (non existent for Orijen)as well as my funds, so I went a bit cheaper on the food, and my animals did extremely well on it.

I was going for the ingredients list on the site, rather than copy and paste all of it, and I'm not soley advertising for Innova, or saying there are no other good foods out there, just sharing my experience, what it costs me, and why.

I've spent my fare share of time in the pet store reading ingredients,fare share researching foods as well, and ultimately went with the one I could afford, that I felt comfortable with feeding to my animals.

And that is a 15lb bag for one cat, not two.

oh, and I am a she also, Lucas is my last name
Funny, that is what I feed now, 50/50 Orijen and EVO... But the fish versions, as my cat is allergic to chicken. I like Orijen better, Best food out there IMO.

Quote:
and ultimately went with the one I could afford, that I felt comfortable with feeding to my animals.
This is what is all about right here, and of course provided that your cat does well on it, and likes the food, otherwise all that means nothing... After all, they are the bosses, you know?
post #16 of 18

I would be very careful of the EVO products.  they have an ingredient  that is called Menadione.  Please read the following:

I just wanted to give people a heads up about a common pet food additive that
you may or may not know about, so that you can better make decisions about
the food you feed your cats, especially those with chronic illnesses.
On the pancreatitis list we were discussing a new antioxidant. One of the
list members was concerned about it as it contained "vitamin K", but did not
specify the form. Vitamin K, which is involved in blood clotting and bone
calcification, comes in three forms. Vitamin K1 is a natural form found in
leafy green vegetables, as well as to a lesser extent in meat, eggs and some
fruits. Vitamin K2 is synthesized by bacteria in the gut. "Vitamin K3",
better known as menadione sodium bisulfite, is a synthetic vitamin K2
precursor.
Menadione was banned for human use in 1963 by the FDA because it is highly
toxic. It is a potent oxidizing agent which lowers glutathione levels, and
can cause hemolytic anemia. Large doses in animals can cause anemia,
spleen, liver and kidney damage. It has been used in pet foods as a source
of vitamin k (apparently safely)for over 50 years. Some pet food companies
do not supplement it, relying on a healthy gut and/or natural sources to
provide sufficient vitamin K. Other pet food companies supplement, "just in
case". Vitamin K supplementation is probably warranted in diets high in
fatty fish like salmon and tuna. During periods of extended antibiotic use,
the amount of vitamin k that is synthesized in the gut may be decreased. In
the 2006 "Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats", the National Research
Council states:
"The toxic level of menadione in the diet is at least 1000 times the dietary
requirement of animals other than cats". OTHER THAN CATS. This says to me,
that the toxic level of menadione is UNKNOWN in the cat.
OK, so why bring this up? In very small amounts, menadione is
maybe?/probably? safe for a healthy cat .. just as many other questionable
additives, like garlic, benzoic acid (contained in cranberries,
blueberries), essential oils like rosemary *may* be in miniscule amounts.
But are they safe, especially in combination, in a sick cat? Menadione may
be something you want to add to your list of additives to watch out for when
purchasing pet food. It isn´t always possible to tell from the label whether
a pet food contains menadione or not. Some companies have removed it from
their ingredients, but it may still appear on the label.
As always the very most important "ingredient" in your cats health is that
they EAT, so I´m not suggesting that you stop feeding your cat a food that
they have been happily eating. Just be aware of what is in their food. If
your cats favorite food contains menadione, you might want to write the
pet food company and urge them to seek an alternate, safer, source of vitamin
K.

I have no problem with feeding my cats Publix brand cat food.  They especially like the beef.

post #17 of 18

Where did that quote come from?  Can you give us the source? 

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnugsnSpookie2 View Post

I would be very careful of the EVO products.  they have an ingredient  that is called Menadione...
 

I have no problem with feeding my cats Publix brand cat food. 

 

Thanks for the warning, and welcome to TCS! wavey.gif

 

However, I really think the readers here will want some "verifiable" information.

 

Why do you think that EVO in particular is using Menadione?

 

Additionally, just doing a quick search, I found that:

"doses of menadione needed to cause health problems are more than 1000 times greater than could be gotten through food supplementation, and the studies showing toxic effects usually involve injecting the vitamin into animals at high doses, not providing it in food in miniscule amounts."

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/07/vitamin-k3-menadione-in-pet-food-is-it-safe/

 

Can you provide any sources to convince us that this is a legitimate concern?

 

Finally, warning against a brand that is widely considered to be substantially better than average among dry foods

in favor of one of the cheapest dry cat foods known to man just seems a little "odd."   dontknow.gif

 

Thanks again!


Edited by SevenWonders - 4/13/13 at 7:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Publix brand cat food..