My Cat's Breathing heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Friends, Anyone have experience with their cat breathing heavy?
Kara is app. 13 years old, she was under doctor care late last year, loss of appitite/lethargic, but had been doing well last 4 weeks.

thanks in advance

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heavy breathing? Few questions:

Any coughing or sneezing?
Is it labored, or fast breathing, or both?
How long has it been going on?
Eating?
Drinking?
Activity?
Inside, outside, or both?
Gotten in any fights with other cats/dogs?
When she breathes, is her chest expanding or is her abdomen expanding?

I would recommend a vet visit.

Okie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Okie89

Heavy breathing? Few questions:

Any coughing or sneezing?
Is it labored, or fast breathing, or both?
How long has it been going on?
Eating?
Drinking?
Activity?
Inside, outside, or both?
Gotten in any fights with other cats/dogs?
When she breathes, is her chest expanding or is her abdomen expanding?

I would recommend a vet visit.

Okie
no coughing
deep breathing
started today
yes
yes
inside
no
chest I would say
going tomorrow

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okie, she feels normal, but she has been on the quiet side, only going for food or water

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to give you the best advice possible, so:

When she's breathing, do her nostrils flare?
Has she had any trauma at all, whether jumping down from a tall area, etc?
Look at the color of her gums; are they pink, pale pink, blueish?

Okie

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Okie89

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to give you the best advice possible, so:

When she's breathing, do her nostrils flare?
Has she had any trauma at all, whether jumping down from a tall area, etc?
Look at the color of her gums; are they pink, pale pink, blueish?

Okie
her nostrils flare,Okie gums look pink.

thanks for the help you are giving me friend

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My recommendation would be to keep a close eye on her until her vet visit tomorrow... it could be something less complex, like URI or asthma (not demeaning either condition as both could be serious), but I can't rule out a diaphramatic hernia, which is a very serious condition that requires immediate surgery. If she starts more abdominal breathing, her gums pale, or her temperature drops, I would take her to an emergency clinic immediately. A diaphramatic hernia is a tear or hole in the diaphragm.

Of course, if something is concerning or worrysome, take her to the emergency vet immediately!

Good luck! I hope all goes well!

Okie

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ralphb97

Thanks again Okie
No problem... sorry I couldn't be of more assitance, but without physically seeing her, that's the best I can do...

Good luck!

Okie

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your cat will be okay. Is there any chance she has eaten something she shouldn't have. Keep us posted about the vet visit.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a host of conditions that can cause labored breathing - anything from allergies, asthma, a cold, heart issues, cancer, and on and on. Ask your vet a lot of questions when you bring her in. We can't help you with a diagnosis, only give you some ideas for what to ask your vet.

Sending vibes that this is easy to identify and resolve.

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took Kara to her vet Yesterday. He said she had some congestion in her lungs. He decided to keep her over night so they could run blood test. He's worried there may be other problem's, he will know more when test come back. All I can do is hope it's just a cold, I'll let y'all know when I hear from doc.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How worried you must be, but at least you know Kara is in good hands, though I know how lonely it feels when they are in the hospital.

Ask to bring in a garment you have worn, for Kara, to keep in her cage, for comfort. Something you don't value, as you probably won't get it back.

Kara.

Please keep us updated.

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet called today, he's still keeping Kara. Fri. her blood sugar was 85, Sat. in the 300's. He said she is borderline diabetic. Still has fluid in her lungs, not sure whats causing this yet. when blood sugar's good she does good, when high, she won't eat gets weak. Said he will call tomorrow, I can only hope and pray.
thanks for the support, ralph

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I was hoping that she would be back home & better.
I am sorry that both of you are going through this, I hope she has a very speedy recovery.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A cat's blood sugar level can definitely elevate when they're stressed (called "stress hyperglycemia); at the Vet, having bloodwork done, etc. So this should be considered. It's strange to me that your cat's blood sugar was 85 only a few days ago. If a cat is diabetic, even if not eating their blood sugar will be high. I would seriously want the blood sugar to be tested again before anyone claims your cat is diabetic and considers starting kitty on insulin. I had a diabetic cat for 6 yrs (I gave him insulin twice a day and tested his blood sugar at home with the same little meter that human diabetics use; some vet clinics use them too just for doing spot checks). I'd also double check with them that the IV fluid they were giving kitty didn't contain any dextrose (IV solutions often do); dextrose is a sugar.

ralphb97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday the vet called, said Kara was not making any improvement. He said to take her home, see if I could get her to eat more. He said to bring her every morning to check her glucose and give her fluids. Seeing her would break your heart. Her face had no life to it, she looked so sad. Last night I thought hard and long, should I put her down. I brought her this morning she was no better although her sugar improved to 185. He said yes, if she's not better in 2 or 3 day's I should consider putting her to sleep. I left, went home. When I opened the carrier door for her to come out, she huff 4 times and keeled over and died.

I again want to thank everyone who gave me advice and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.