Best Carpet Cleaning product for cat vomit

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone give some insights or experience with products that work really well for removing stains and odor related to cat vomiting?

My cat vomits because he eats too much too fast. But he chooses to vomit on my carpet on the top of the stairs. <_<

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use the same thing we do for the urine - Nok Out. When it comes to vomit, I expect whatever you regularly use to clean your carpet will work. We found Nok Out to just be a great cleaner in general and use it for all kinds of things. The one thing about cat vomit is the food coloring in the kibble (ours are on a prescription diet) - and we found the Nok Out helps get rid of that (as well as the smell).

http://www.nokout.com

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW - have you tried anything to slow him down? A larger kibble? (have to chew) On a plate? (the kibble moves around so they have to work at getting it - they can't just "shovel"). Elevated? (like on a foot stool - harder to "tuck in" and gobble?)

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We use the same thing we do for the urine - Nok Out. When it comes to vomit, I expect whatever you regularly use to clean your carpet will work. We found Nok Out to just be a great cleaner in general and use it for all kinds of things. The one thing about cat vomit is the food coloring in the kibble (ours are on a prescription diet) - and we found the Nok Out helps get rid of that (as well as the smell).

http://www.nokout.com
where do you buy Nok-out? from that site or another site? How much is the shipping at the site you linked?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nok Out is only sold online (to my knowledge). I purchase it directly from them. They're very customer oriented, and work with people to figure out the best way to deal with all kinds of problems.

I don't know shipping rates offhand... do they have info on the site? If not, maybe start the checkout process to see how much it is before completing your order. If you're nervous about doing that, I'd just e-mail or call them to ask! That info I'm sure is on a "contact us" somewhere on the site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

BTW - have you tried anything to slow him down? A larger kibble? (have to chew) On a plate? (the kibble moves around so they have to work at getting it - they can't just "shovel"). Elevated? (like on a foot stool - harder to "tuck in" and gobble?)
My cats are on a raw diet. I've already have him elevated but he drags his food to the floor. His food is in a plate already. The only thing that seems to work is to give him meat with the bone in so he actually has to take the time to tear and chew before swallowing. Anything else, I have to remove his food after about 15 - 30 seconds and give it back to him at 5 minute intervals or he vomits.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nolia

My cats are on a raw diet. I've already have him elevated but he drags his food to the floor. His food is in a plate already. The only thing that seems to work is to give him meat with the bone in so he actually has to take the time to tear and chew before swallowing. Anything else, I have to remove his food after about 15 - 30 seconds and give it back to him at 5 minute intervals or he vomits.
are you feeding a commercial ground raw ? grd by you or the butcher or what some call frankenprey?

your time frame is a classic allergy

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am curious.... Pico just quit eating when you introduced bone into her diet last week, right? For how long have they been in the raw diet? Are they pretty new to it?
Is this cat vomiting beef, by any chance? What kind of meat is he vomiting? It seems that a lot of cats can not deal with beef, my kitty Hope included.
I think in the raw case, the problem might be the meat/allergy, and not so much how fast he is eating... My Hope ate veeerrryyy slowly... Yet, could not deal with it...
Another member, called Koobe, same thing...

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

are you feeding a commercial ground raw ? grd by you or the butcher or what some call frankenprey?

your time frame is a classic allergy
Nope, I don't use ground raw. I go straight to my butcher for the meats.
The only one that's vomiting is Harley. I don't think it's allergies because he used to vomit on dry food and wet food too. He just eats WAAAY too fast.

Seriously, 1 minute the entire dish has been licked clean if I don't monitor.

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I am curious.... Pico just quit eating when you introduced bone into her diet last week, right? For how long have they been in the raw diet? Are they pretty new to it?
Is this cat vomiting beef, by any chance? What kind of meat is he vomiting? It seems that a lot of cats can not deal with beef, my kitty Hope included.
I think in the raw case, the problem might be the meat/allergy, and not so much how fast he is eating... My Hope ate veeerrryyy slowly... Yet, could not deal with it...
Another member, called Koobe, same thing...
I started transitioning them to raw beginning around October/November 09. So it's been a few months. They were slow.

The cat (the one vomiting is Harley the 1 year old) vomits anything. Dry, wet, raw. He really just eats too fast like he hasn't even been fed. Pico USED to vomit last year on dry food because she was afraid Harley would steal her food. So now they have separate feeding times, fed in different locations where they can't get to each other and monitored. Both are on raw diets (but as of last week Pico is now on dry for the next little while)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has bloodwork been done on the vomiting kitty ? Vomitting dry = somewhat typical , vomiting raw = can happen , vomitting canned = problem 99% of the time... Fast or not something is either wrong in the esophagus or stomach or both...

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had taken him into the vet a while ago and asked the doctor about it. He just said the same thing you guys have said. Elevate and feed small potions throughout the day. Apparently its very common. O_O

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll second Laurie's recommendation for Nok Out. It's all that I use these days for any type of animal elimination. It's pricey, but worth every penny of it. I use it full strength for bad stains, and dilute it with water in a spray bottle to use in place of products like Febreeze. If you order from them, they send you newsletters with all sorts of good ideas on how to use it. I've replaced a lot of other products with it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I answered your first question then read the rest of the thread.

I have a cat that used to be a chronic vomitter. He stopped with a diet change. How long after eating does he vomit?

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I answered your first question then read the rest of the thread.

I have a cat that used to be a chronic vomitter. He stopped with a diet change. How long after eating does he vomit?
If he rushes between 1 - 5 minutes. The food is undigested, often not even chewed through.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nolia

If he rushes between 1 - 5 minutes. The food is undigested, often not even chewed through.
That sounds exactly like what used to happen to my Stumpy. It's not the fact that the food is not chewed through. Stumpy is now toothless and he "sucks" dry kibble in without chewing it at all, yet does not throw it up now.

I originally thought that his issue was related to chowing down too much food too fast. As alpha cat in my house, he was always first to the food bowl and would keep others out while he had his fill. Within minutes of him eating, he would vomit it back up. Then we changed food one day and the vomiting stopped.

Just hearing your issue, it sounds like he either has an allergy issue with the foods you are giving him, or he has something physically wrong with him. If raising the food bowl up isn't helping him, there is clearly something else going on with him.

An allergy is a broad term. I claim to be allergic to eggs, but my issue is really that I can't digest them so they come back up. Lactose intolerant people have similar issues with dairy products. I think it's time to challenge your vet a little bit more about what is going on.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought nok-out from ebay and got out 2 stinky pee spots that refused to come out with 2 other products. This stuff really is a miracle. For some reason the carpet in my old place reacted fine too natures miracle or petzyme but in my new place either the pad is thick and it won't soak through...or something else and neither of those would work, but nok-out did.

So do you dilute to treat cat urine? that would save me money if I did 3/4 nok-out and 1/4 water. I ordered more directly from the site b/c they had a free shipping deal. I'm going to use the rest of my petzyme to clean litter boxes and other household chores because some of those cleaners are just as effective, but safer and less smelly than conventional household cleansers.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by venusgirltrap

So do you dilute to treat cat urine? that would save me money if I did 3/4 nok-out and 1/4 water.
I use it full strength on urine and make a 50/50 solution for vomit or general pet odors (like the dog's beds). A plant mister bottle with lines for measuring fluids works great btw.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I use it full strength on urine and make a 50/50 solution for vomit or general pet odors (like the dog's beds). A plant mister bottle with lines for measuring fluids works great btw.
This is how we use it too. Full strength for urine - 1/2 strength for everything else. For pee on bedding or whatever, full strength on the mattress, full strength spray on sheets/blankets, and add it to the wash like we do bleach, only instead of bleach.