Questions on Feeding a 6 mo old kitten

crazypoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some concerns about my 6 month old kitten and was hoping to get some advice

He doesn't have a very large appetite. I read somewhere that kittens should be eating 2 cans of food a day plus one cup of dry food. Is this correct? (I didnt read it on here )

I switch brands of wet and dry food regularly because I dont want him to get bored with the stuff I am feeding him. He seems to really like 9 Lives Tuna and Egg wet food (which smells awful by the way) as well as Friskies Specialty Indoor Forumula Ocean Whitefish. When I give him those two he will eat 2 cans a day with no problem. Other days he barely eats one can and very little dry food. I have a bowl of dry food that he free feeds from but he'd much rather eat the dogs dry food then his own. I use Iams Kitten Formula for the dry food.

He seems to be of normal weight-a little on the small side to me but Im not sure how much he is supposed to weigh

I guess my question is how much should he be eating and am I feeding him healthy food? I am limited on the brands I can buy as I live in a small town and do most of my pet shopping at the local Walmart. There is a feed store that carries Canidae, Eukanuba, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Premium Edge, and Purina. Are those brands any healthier than Iams or Friskes ect?

And is it ok if he eats the dogs dry food? Can it make him sick? I try to keep him out of there food bowl but he's very stubborn. LOL

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazypoh

I have some concerns about my 6 month old kitten and was hoping to get some advice

He doesn't have a very large appetite. I read somewhere that kittens should be eating 2 cans of food a day plus one cup of dry food. Is this correct? (I didnt read it on here )

I switch brands of wet and dry food regularly because I dont want him to get bored with the stuff I am feeding him. He seems to really like 9 Lives Tuna and Egg wet food (which smells awful by the way) as well as Friskies Specialty Indoor Forumula Ocean Whitefish. When I give him those two he will eat 2 cans a day with no problem. Other days he barely eats one can and very little dry food. I have a bowl of dry food that he free feeds from but he'd much rather eat the dogs dry food then his own. I use Iams Kitten Formula for the dry food.

He seems to be of normal weight-a little on the small side to me but Im not sure how much he is supposed to weigh

I guess my question is how much should he be eating and am I feeding him healthy food? I am limited on the brands I can buy as I live in a small town and do most of my pet shopping at the local Walmart. There is a feed store that carries Canidae, Eukanuba, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Premium Edge, and Purina. Are those brands any healthier than Iams or Friskes ect?

And is it ok if he eats the dogs dry food? Can it make him sick? I try to keep him out of there food bowl but he's very stubborn. LOL

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
How much does he weigh?

IMHO I would look into Premium edge, Natural choice , natural balance and felidea( canidea s cat food)

The ABOVE mentioned brands IMHO are Far better than friskies or iams... why >? they are by product free, higher in meat and no artificial colors or flavors

Dog food is NOT a good thing regularly but a stolen kibble or two is not an issue

6-12 month old kittens eat alot ... up to double what a adult of the same weight would...

say your six month old is 6 lbs he could eat up to the amount of an adult 12 lb kitty...

rough estimates of food ... canned ( highly recommend at least some
) 6-12 oz per day ... dry roughly 1/2 to 3/4 cup per day... if feeding both say 1/3 cup dry and 1 6 oz can

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! No, those are not very good foods, and you want to stay away from feeding him so much fish based foods especially tuna. Fish flavors no more than twice a week. See if your feed store carries Wellness or Innova, those are better brands. Felidae will be okay, too.

No, do not let the kitten eat the dog's food. Dog's have very different nutritional needs, and dog food does not have what a cat, especially a growing cat, needs to be healthy.

If he is filling up pn dog food that may be why he won't eat his cat food. I don't recommend free feeding the dog or the cat.

Depending on his weight, two 3 oz cans and about 1/4 cup of dry food a day should be plenty.

If he is eating two 5.5 oz cans of food a day that is more than plenty!

But do please not let him eat the dog food.