Cat's With Big Heads

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have owned 2 cats so far. An American Short Hair Male, and a Russian Blue Male. They were both neutered right before they were 1 years of age.

I have always wanted a cat with a big head, just because I think it's cute, however, both cats I have owned have tiny heads. I know my russian blue has a small cobra shaped head by breed, but it stills seems smaller than others.

Are big headed cats mostly unfixed males? Or can I have a big headed fixed cat?

I am looking to find some company for my russian blue, and I wish my next cat can have a big head. Can someone please tell me if this is breed, diet, or hormones?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My TICA mentor breeds American Bob Tails and they have big heads.
It is the males that have the bigger heads and mostly they are whole males.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then what is the latest age I can neuter a male cat without the male cat developing mature habits such as spraying but still getting a bigger head?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
British and Scottish s/h have round heads, I wouldn't leave a male un-altered for much after 6 months or you risk them spraying.

Even an Entire Russian male wouldn't have a big round head, they would have the cheek jowels but Russian heads are not round.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
British Shorthair males can get those huge cheeks even if they are altered very early. I've seen lots of them in shows. And all males don't get them even if left unneutered, like my Kuura who is a tiny boy, looks more like a girl IMO (but don't tell him!)..
Luckily the judges don't mind, Kuura's cuteness has blinded them.

I would pick a breed with a round skull shape, the neutering age isn't really the key here.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go down to your local shelter and check to see if they have a "late neutered" tom with a big head that they are pretty sure won't spray.

We've had several at our shelter. Cuddlebugs who are just pleased to be in out of the cold. In fact, there is an orange tabby there right now.

We've had good luck with those who have been adopted. However, most who come in like that are sprayers and fighters and would not be happy in your home.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the unneutered toms will get wider heads, but it depends on the breed. A purebred RB will not get that wide of a head (prefer to call it wide - not "big").

If an adult male is neutered after 2 yrs old, he will tend to have a wider head. If you check your shelters, I'm sure you will find a male with a wider head in the look you like. You do not want to delay neutering just to get a wider head look - that is asking for trouble.

But in general, Persians, Maine Coons, British SH's will tend to get the wider looking heads rather then those that have an oriental or more refined body build.

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know? I have a big head too, I should tell people it's 'wide' and not 'big'. lol

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll has a pretty wide head. Or maybe because his ears are smallish, but he was neutered pretty early....and still is very male looking, LOL!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have several adult males who came in to the shelter here who were not yet neutered. They have since been neutered, but we have 3 "tom catty" looking boys with "fat heads". They're very friendly, sweet kitties.

So while I can't chime in on breeds having larger heads, some shelters do have adult males with the head you are looking for.

hwangster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody~!! I will definitely go to the shelter to find my Pillow (my cat) a buddy.

A buddy with a Fat Wide Head... lol.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

And here's me with a big headed Exotic
Oh my gosh Sam...
what an adorable picture of you as a young child.
You loved kitties even then.

About big headed cats...
I like them too.
I waited until Dexter was 6 months old before I had him neutered so that he would develop a slight "tom cat" face. It worked...
he has modified tom cheeks. So handsome.

scatt cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Toms have fat heads. Once they reach 8-12 months, they start to develop the jowls ect. If you want a cat to look that way, you shouldn't neuter them any younger. I have two toms and they don't spray. They're very affectionate as well, contrary to popular belief.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Scatt Cat

Toms have fat heads. Once they reach 8-12 months, they start to develop the jowls ect. If you want a cat to look that way, you shouldn't neuter them any younger. I have two toms and they don't spray. They're very affectionate as well, contrary to popular belief.
I have unneutered males too which are very affectionate. However I disagree about the neutering part. The tom won't be getting the large jowls unless the bone structure is ideal to it. For example have you ever seen a fat headed Siamese stud? (I mean the modern oriental type to make it more obvious what I'm talking about).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True - it depends on the overall bone structure of the cat to begin with. And by keeping them entire, you risk spraying males just to get a "wider looking head". And the tom will get outside to breed.

Its not worth keeping them entire just for a certain look!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all Toms will get jowls and thus a "fat head". I have had several bengal stud cats not develope pronounced jowls. They retained their adolescent head structure.
Others did develope jowls and had a wider looking head.

I agree that keeping a male intact to develope jowls is just asking for trouble unless he is meant to be placed at stud.