Miscarriage

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I adopted a stray cat who was pergnant and recently had a miscarraige. I was wondering how long will she continue to act pregnant for? She still is uber affectionate, eating like crazy, and showing nesting behavior. Is it possible she is still pregnant? There is no ultrasond at my vet and he says the belly may be from worms since she was a street cat. Anyone out there with experience with feline miscarriages that can she some light for me? Thanks!

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did some research last week on this and it said on this one site that if the queen miscarries, she would have vaginal bleeding and discharge. She would deliver the kittens like normal if she was within a couple weeks of full term. Do you know how far along she is/was?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with above, they can have spotting/birth a dead kitten and then go on to have the rest of the litter in time.

Did the vet put her on antibiotics? Often they miscarry because of infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies! I think she may still be carrying. She had a couple contractions yesterday and I thought she was aborting the rest but the bleeding stopped and she is in great health today. Maybe now that she is being fed and is warm she will be able to take the rest to term, if there are anymore. I am taking her to a vet with an ultrasound tomorrow and we will hopefully find out then! Oh and yes, she is on flagyl, which is an antibiotic.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, please let us know what happens.

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know she has finished all the contractions. I tool her back to the vet, who said they could not feel anymore kittens. She is no longer showing any nesting signs. I am guessing this means she could no longer be pregnant? I was going to bring her in for her spay in a couple weeks but wouldn't want to if she is still carrying! Obviously she would ne in the early stages of pregnancy if she was pregnant, since she is not showing. Does anyone know if a cat can miscarry so early on and still have kittens left? And what the signs would be if this is the case? Oh and yes she was put on flagyl (an antibiotic) by the vet!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Catmomma and LaughingDuck, are you the same person? Or at least, writing about the same cat??

Like the others wrote, cats can deliver at different interwalls, as the kittens are in different sacks.
There is even possibility of two different litters delivered several weeks apart. - NOT common but happens.

Thus, it is also entirely possible with miscarriage of some kittens, but fully delivery of the rest.

But as the vet, after a thorough investigation, didnt saw any sign for proceeing pregnancy, so she almost surely isnt...

Do with this spaying as you feel. Take it as soon as convenient, or wait a little. Of course, be careful not letting her out: if she gets in heat again, you dont want her to get a new litter: many people and many vets dont like aborting an otherwise healthy litter.
The problem with keeping a watchful eye is of course, IF she gets into heat, she will do her outmost to come out, with all the risk connected with it....

Good luck!

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Yes sorry forthe confusion I had an account here a while ago but couldn't remember the account name so made a new one! Anyways I found it through one of my old posts so I'll be using catmomma from now on!

I knew it was possible to miscarry and carry to term later in a pregnancy, but wasn't sure about such an early miscarriage. From the sounds of things anything is possible with cat pregnancies though!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since she was already having problems, I would go ahead and get her spayed now. Any other kitten she might be carrying would be at risk for birth defects and other health problems, between whatever infection caused the miscarriage to the antibiotics and anything else going on with this poor girl. Street cats tend to have very small kittens, often sickly, because of lack of proper food and care. Do this girl a favor and get her spayed. Even if there is a kitten or two left, it is most likely better for it to be aborted this early, rather than to let it develop to be a sick and suffering kitten. This is of course your choice. Only you and your vet can decide what is right for this girl. for the best.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

Since she was already having problems, I would go ahead and get her spayed now. Any other kitten she might be carrying would be at risk for birth defects and other health problems, between whatever infection caused the miscarriage to the antibiotics and anything else going on with this poor girl. Street cats tend to have very small kittens, often sickly, because of lack of proper food and care. Do this girl a favor and get her spayed. Even if there is a kitten or two left, it is most likely better for it to be aborted this early, rather than to let it develop to be a sick and suffering kitten. This is of course your choice. Only you and your vet can decide what is right for this girl. for the best.
I agree with this post.

You're a real hero for rescuing her! Keep us posted!

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya I tend to agree that if there are any kittens left they will probably either be stillborn or not too healthy. The vet won spay her yet though due to her poor condition. We need to get her back to an appropriate weight and get her healthy again first! The vet said about two weeks might be enough time to give her, assuming she continues gaining weight the way she has been (over a pound in less than a week, good girl!). I don't know if any leftover kittens would be obvious by then or not, I read they start showing at five weeks, but since I have no idea how far along she is/was- who knows!!

scatt cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may very well still be pregnant. Our cat had a strange period where she looked like she had miscarried. This cycle came and went for awhile. You may want to wait a few weeks and keep a close eye on her. You can't always rely on your vet to get a completely accurate preg test on her either. My vet told me that my cat wasn't pregnant and she gace birth to 3 kittens a few weeks later.

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I should update this. She was not still pregnant. She just came out of a long heat (I did not let her outside though) and is scheduled to be spayed soon! Thanks everyone for your replies!

nahlasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually glad to hear she isn't still preggo....sad, but at least she can get spayed and focus on getting healthy again! Good luck with the spay keep those doors shut tight don't want any more complications!

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, kittens would have been cute, but there are too many unwanted kittens in the shelters already, we don't need more!