or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food › Sardines and Green Tripe for cats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sardines and Green Tripe for cats

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have 2 almost 5 months old kitties and slowly transitioning them to raw feeding. I am pretty new to raw feeding, so I have the following questions:

1) How do you prepare sardines for your kitties? Just throw them the whole fish, or you cut them in pieces? With head and all organs? I threw them one yesterday, cut in 4 pieces for them to share. Panther ate an organ (the bitter one) and gave me the nastiest look. Panther ate some bones, but Cheetah will eat some flesh, and some parts of the head. Most of the head remains untouched.

2) Do you feed your cats green tripe? I heard that it is chewing and dogs love it. How about kittens?

Thank you in advanced for your replies.
post #2 of 14
I get canned sardines that are packed in water. I actually found one here that has nothing added (such as salt) so even though it costs a bit more thats what I like to use.

A good amount is one ounce of sardines a week for each cat.

The farm cats just get the sardine whole. Most of the time they eat it so fast I'm not even sure they tasted it
post #3 of 14
Mine eat whole raw sardines about once a week. Most of the time they eat the whole thing. But sometimes when the sardines are bigger than what they are use to they will not eat the head, sometimes will leave the tail also.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
I hope they will get used to the whole sardines soon. Cutting them up is a mess. and have them dragging the pieces all over the place is a huge mess too.

Anyone feeding their kitties green tripe?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
Mine eat whole raw sardines about once a week. Most of the time they eat the whole thing. But sometimes when the sardines are bigger than what they are use to they will not eat the head, sometimes will leave the tail also.
Stupid question where are you getting raw sardines?

I have only ever had one cat who liked tripe thus I got freeze dried for him( his name is Sylvie and he finally made it to 2yrs )

My girls like sardines I get ones in olive oil ... My boys luckily hate them as two have uti issues
post #6 of 14
Sharky - why do you get sardines in olive oil? Is it healthier?
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends50 View Post
Sharky - why do you get sardines in olive oil? Is it healthier?
it is from a discussion with two of my vets ... olive oil does not usually cause a bad reaction and is a balanced omega profile... Healthier is in the eye of the beholder , for me I try to avoid canola and cottonseed... have one known soy allergy thus wont risk soybean oil ... water is another option but I figure some fat and fatty acids wont hurt
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
I got frozen wild caught sardines from chinese supermarket, it is human grade since it is sold in the market.

So I thaw it, and give them raw.
post #9 of 14
Gall bladder and stomach would be bitter. On a sardine I understand that wouldn't be as much of an issue. Larger fish... I would guess it would.

I use bone-and-skin-on sardines packed in water -w/no salt added or as Sharky does - I use the ones in olive oil. And I save the oil and if I am not giving sardines, they get a about 1/4 tsp 2x week till it's gone. One of my boys sheds quite a bit and I was hoping that the omegas would help him w/that.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
where are you getting raw sardines?
In the freezer section of a local store. They are fit for human consumption. If you have one around, the place koobe mentioned will probably be a better route then a regular store. But they may be hiding in a store near you. Before I was feeding canned in spring water. Fish fridays are definitely stinky days
post #11 of 14
Like FurryFriends, I buy the packed-in-water canned sardines with nothing added (I don't feed plant-based products to my cats, so no olive-oil-packed sardines here).

I divide one 3.75 ounce can between five cats every week. And, yeah, Chris, Saturdays are stinky, stinky!!

(I've seen frozen sardines when shopping for myself, but it hadn't occurred to me to try them with my cats. I just might pick up a bag this weekend, see how they like it. Nutritionally, frozen trumps canned, so thanks for the tip, Chris!)

As for the green tripe - I don't feed it. No particular reason, just never got around to incorporating it into a weekly menu plan.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe View Post

2) Do you feed your cats green tripe? I heard that it is chewing and dogs love it. How about kittens?

Thank you in advanced for your replies.
I got raw beef small intestine (not sure if that is the same thing) from super walmart a few days ago (and they also had "sweetbreads").

They seemed to really like it but didn't love it. It was however half frozen yet and it was below freezing in the barn SO that could have had something to do with it
post #13 of 14
I give my dogs canned tripe because I cannot, for the life of me, find any raw tripe that isn't bleached or comes in a huge package that is too big to feed at one time. I once got a huge package and fed it to my three dogs all at once, it smelled so awful while cutting it up that I had to take a break and leave the room a few times. Later that night, my dogs had the WORST gas I have ever smelled in my entire life! It smelled like Satan's rotting backside, it was so horrible!

So now I just feed canned tripe by Merrick BG and all is well and gas-free. I'll give some to my cats next week and see how they like it. They seem to be doing just fine without it though!
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoshum View Post
I give my dogs canned tripe because I cannot, for the life of me, find any raw tripe that isn't bleached or comes in a huge package that is too big to feed at one time. I once got a huge package and fed it to my three dogs all at once, it smelled so awful while cutting it up that I had to take a break and leave the room a few times. Later that night, my dogs had the WORST gas I have ever smelled in my entire life! It smelled like Satan's rotting backside, it was so horrible!

So now I just feed canned tripe by Merrick BG and all is well and gas-free. I'll give some to my cats next week and see how they like it. They seem to be doing just fine without it though!
Interesting! Please let me know how it goes with your cats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food › Sardines and Green Tripe for cats