Valerian Root VS Cat Nip

thehouseofgods

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just wondering if anyone else here has discovered Valerian root for cats. Its a safe natural herb that my kitties go nuts for, my boyfriend opens the bag, and even the fat one comes running from anywhere in the house, and EVERYONE say their pleases and thank you's before and after hand
i've starting making little 'pillows' with a little Valerian root in it, and they rub it and drool over it for hours lol.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of Valerian or Honeysuckle causing cat-nip like reactions. Mine don't respond to anything

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sensitivity to catnip is thought to be genetic.

I'll have to read up on Valerian root, I've heard this before, and in fact think some pet specialty places are starting to sell it. Thanks for starting the thread!

know someone in another forum who swears by peppermint for cat-nip like reactions, but I've never seen a single cat of mine react to peppermint. I think her cat just likes the crinkly paper the peppermint candy is wrapped in

I grow my own cat nip and know that not all cat nip is the same. My cats react to their own in the garden or when dried, and certain superior cat nip I buy from a place in Maine, but they general have no interest in the kind that comes from the grocery store (they get gifts of it from well meaning friends)

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that my Maggie would react to Valerian. I have some herbal sleeping pills that contain Valerian, and Maggie will jump into the waste basket to grab the foil wrapper that was around it, and carry it all over the house. I think I need to do a Google search, and figure out where to get some Valerian and Honeysuckle to try on the kitties!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first I've heard of this, of course don't know if Autumn would like it. She does enjoy her catnip tho.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thehouseofgods

just wondering if anyone else here has discovered Valerian root for cats. Its a safe natural herb that my kitties go nuts for, my boyfriend opens the bag, and even the fat one comes running from anywhere in the house, and EVERYONE say their pleases and thank you's before and after hand
i've starting making little 'pillows' with a little Valerian root in it, and they rub it and drool over it for hours lol.
Is Valium made from Valerian? I didn't know for sure and I had dropped a Valium on the floor and it rolled somewhere never to be found again. I know Alley would never touch it but Persi might but I think it is under the dresser. If Persi shows up slobbering and wild eyed I will know. Of course I could askWIKI but that involves effort...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They use Valerian at the cat shows to calm cats down.
So many breeders have suggested it to me for Cleo.
Do not use the oral kind because it can have bad effects on a cat.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard of this but I don't know where to get it...

So far I have only found ONE site and I am a person who likes to price around...

I have a cat who does not react to catnip at all, not even KITTYHOOCH, completely disproving all of their claims that even a cat who doesn't react will...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

know someone in another forum who swears by peppermint for cat-nip like reactions, but I've never seen a single cat of mine react to peppermint. I think her cat just likes the crinkly paper the peppermint candy is wrapped in

I grow my own cat nip and know that not all cat nip is the same. My cats react to their own in the garden or when dried, and certain superior cat nip I buy from a place in Maine, but they general have no interest in the kind that comes from the grocery store (they get gifts of it from well meaning friends)
Cat nip is from the mint family.

I have a nice pot of cat nip outside, doesn't do a thing for my cats but the neighbourhood cats sure enjoy it

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Cat nip is from the mint family.

I have a nice pot of cat nip outside, doesn't do a thing for my cats but the neighbourhood cats sure enjoy it
Yes, cat nip is from the mint family, which is why I have to restart my plants every few years. There is other mint that grows wild nearby, and the cat-nip cross pollinates with it, so my cat nip loses it's potency.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a pot of catnip outside as well. My cats don't do anything with catnip, but my 2 neighbor cats, Mango & Peach love to sit in it!
Their owner likes to garden, so I'm thinking of growing some for her and giving it to her to sit on their front porch. They don't like to stay in their own backyard because of the dogs. I tell my neighbor they like coming to my yard because I supply them with drugs!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure am familiar with valerian
I have a large selection of valerian blend cat toys, and have designed a few. My cats love it, and I know of non-catnip responder kitties who like it very much as well.

I have a good faq on my site that you can read, if you'd like some more details about it. I will caution you though..my poor husband can tell if I've had any valerian toy, or valerian/catnip blend toy out, or even scooped 1 spoonful of my blend..the smell is one he's quite sensitive to!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of kitties loving valerian root either but I will give it a go now. My cat absolutely loves catnip. He comes running when I get it out and paws the bag and rubs around me purring waiting for me to put some one the floor. Then he rolls onto his back and has a tummy rub and just rolls about in it. He gets it on his paws and starts rubbing it round his face. It is the cutest sight ever. He purrs so much that it sounds like a little engine running

I hope he likes valerian root too!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I order all my herbs from Rose Mountain Herbs in Oregon. All of their stock is either certified organic or ethically wild-harvested, so you don't have to worry about weird chemicals. They sell everything from Catnip to Valerian to Honeysuckle, resins like Frankincense and Myrrh, teas, etc. Quite a nice site, too, and you can get free shipping if you buy in bulk. Just FYI for anyone wanting to do a bit of investigating.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

I order all my herbs from Rose Mountain Herbs in Oregon. All of their stock is either certified organic or ethically wild-harvested, so you don't have to worry about weird chemicals. They sell everything from Catnip to Valerian to Honeysuckle, resins like Frankincense and Myrrh, teas, etc. Quite a nice site, too, and you can get free shipping if you buy in bulk. Just FYI for anyone wanting to do a bit of investigating.
Indeed! They are one source for the valerian I use in my toys.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, Cuddles is fascinated by the scent of Mullein leaf. Prissy seems to be fond of strips of dried ginger root. She rubs her face on them, but doesn't really chew on them. :-) Strange babies. Always getting into my herb cabinet. :-)

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiousity how can you tell if your cat is reacting to the catnip or the toy the catnip is in. All three of mine will play with their catnip buddies extensively to the point where Ive gotten growled at when I tried to take them to play two (stingy little boogers). But the only thing Ive noticed is that all three of mine take naps after playing with their toys and Hercules drools like a maniac while playing with them (he is a drooler to begin with but its like looking at a st bernard after he plays with his buddies)......Hmmmmmmm I wonder if I have a couple addicts on my hands with Herc and GiGi being the main players in the house!!!!

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like catnip, but they go absolutely nuts over valerian !!

Years ago we consulted a cat behavioural counselor for Mimosa's anxiety issues, and she recommended (amongst other things) giving her a tablespoon of ground valerian root daily to relieve stress. The other kitties love it as well and now we still give it for recreational purposes

I also put some valerian in their carriers before we go to the vet, it really calms them down. The only downside is the stuff stinks !

My cats also enjoy matatabi sticks. They are branches from some kind of Japanese kiwi plant. The cats rub the sticks on themselves and chew them:

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

Hm, I've never heard of Matatabi! I'll have to look that up!
I've found that in English it is called Silvervine or Chinese cat powder plant. The Latin name is Actinidia polygama.