or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Remedies for fine, flyaway hair?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Remedies for fine, flyaway hair?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
With the onset of winter, my hair turns into a whispy mess. The office I work in is as dry as the Mohave Desert (I can't bring in a humidifier) and I've tried extra hairspray, conditioners, rubbing my hair with dryer sheets, with no success. HELP!
post #2 of 32
I have issues with this too! I tried using some whipped wax the other day and it helped a little, but I still had the frizzies .
post #3 of 32
I like Frizz-eaze or Garnier Fructis frizz control serum. They are kinda expensive, but they really work for frizzy hair, and flyaways.
post #4 of 32
I have Tresemme anti-frizz secret, and it works well when I remember to use it! I think it's somewhat affordable, and I don't need to use much of it to smooth down the flyaways.
post #5 of 32
would hand cream work? e.g. Curel? just a little
post #6 of 32
This may sound weird, but try not putting so MUCH on your hair. I used to put tons of junk on my hair, trying everything to get rid of the flyaways, and nothing worked. Most of the time it actually made it worse. Someone (for completely different reasons) suggested trying a shampoo/conditioner with no 'cones (silicones, etc) and as soon as I switched...I'm talking the very next day...the flyaways went away. I had struggled with it my whole life.

I have been using the same shampoo now for a few years now and I have never had flyaway hair again. Not even once. I used to switch shampoos all the time b/c after a while my hair would stop feeling nice and my flyaways would get worse. Now my hair is ALWAYS soft and smooth. I use VO5 Tea Therapy shampoo (healthful green tea) and conditioner (calming chamomille), and once a week I use the VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying in Key Lime Breeze scent. I think there are other VO5 scents that are 'cone free, thought I can't remember which ones at the moment, but those are the only ones I can find at any of the stores here in town.

The best thing about this shampoo and conditioner is that it is SUPER cheap!! Like about $1 per bottle. I buy a bunch at once and when I get down to one or two bottles of each I go out and buy a bunch more. I'm always afraid they will stop selling it since I can only find it at one store.
post #7 of 32
I know how you feel!

I also have very fine hair and this works for me. I towel dry my hair and then add this: John Frieda. After I blow dry my hair I add a tiny bit of KMS molding paste to keep any stray hairs down.

I noticed the more hairspray I add the worse my hair gets when the air is dry. I use products during the drying/styling process instead.
post #8 of 32
I use dr bronner's no issues since starting this ... aveda also works well... I have 2-3 heads full of nearly baby fine hair...
post #9 of 32
Just do what I did and cut it all off! just kidding. One thing that sometimes works with my hair when it's unmanagable is putting coconut oil on it and use it as a deep conditioner. It may not work since your hair is fine, but it's worth a try and not very expensive (can get it at a drug store for a few dollars a bottle). I would wash my hair then coat it with oil and wrap it in a towel (preferably hot and wet if you can stand it dripping down the back of your neck and back). Then either just take it off and towel dry or rinse it out if you think it's going to make your hair to heavy.
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
This may sound weird, but try not putting so MUCH on your hair. I used to put tons of junk on my hair, trying everything to get rid of the flyaways, and nothing worked. Most of the time it actually made it worse. Someone (for completely different reasons) suggested trying a shampoo/conditioner with no 'cones (silicones, etc) and as soon as I switched...I'm talking the very next day...the flyaways went away. I had struggled with it my whole life.

I have been using the same shampoo now for a few years now and I have never had flyaway hair again. Not even once. I used to switch shampoos all the time b/c after a while my hair would stop feeling nice and my flyaways would get worse. Now my hair is ALWAYS soft and smooth. I use VO5 Tea Therapy shampoo (healthful green tea) and conditioner (calming chamomille), and once a week I use the VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying in Key Lime Breeze scent. I think there are other VO5 scents that are 'cone free, thought I can't remember which ones at the moment, but those are the only ones I can find at any of the stores here in town.

The best thing about this shampoo and conditioner is that it is SUPER cheap!! Like about $1 per bottle. I buy a bunch at once and when I get down to one or two bottles of each I go out and buy a bunch more. I'm always afraid they will stop selling it since I can only find it at one store.
Yeah - no cones (Silicone) for me at all here either... I worked in the beauty industry for many many years, and tried them all... They are a short term solution, but long term they just damage the hair with all that build up, making the problem worst...

I like a very very diluted sulfate free shampoo, VO5 conditioner CHEAP and cone free, and a good cone free leave in conditioner. If I have Fly away problems, I have my "magic solution" that is a dime size of 100% pure Aloe Vera with a couple of drops of Jojoba Oil... You can also mix some in advance, put in a pump type container and take it with you in your purse....
post #11 of 32
Wish I could help, but I've never had that problem even when I had longer hair. Now I have short hair and if it stands up from static electricity it doesn't matter because it isn't noticeable.
post #12 of 32
Stop using shampoo.


Shampoo strips the natural oil off your hair (well that's what it's supposed to do! ). However, those wonderful natural oils will tame your frizzies! Plus your hair will start "self cleaning" after about a month (where the oils have reached the point where they will cover the hair shaft enough to repel dirt). I know it doesn't sound like the most appetizing prospect in the world - but trust me it works! I've had allot of very fine curly/frizzy hair my entire life and this is the ONLY thing that has EVER worked (and I have tried it ALL!!!!).

And no my head does not look oily or greasy at all (gray however... is another matter...)

(This information actually came from an article I read a few years ago from a curly-hair specialist. I've been DIEING to go to their Salon back home in Toronto - a salon JUST for culy hair... *sigh*)

I condition at least 4-5 times a week (I use Treseme, I just started with it & so far I love it!), and will use water & finger to scrub at my scalp.

However, while I was working at a horse barn I had to shampoo at least once a week because of the amount of dirt in my work. Then I used baby-shampoo which is gentler on your hair.
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes View Post
Stop using shampoo.


Shampoo strips the natural oil off your hair (well that's what it's supposed to do! ). However, those wonderful natural oils will tame your frizzies! Plus your hair will start "self cleaning" after about a month (where the oils have reached the point where they will cover the hair shaft enough to repel dirt). I know it doesn't sound like the most appetizing prospect in the world - but trust me it works! I've had allot of very fine curly/frizzy hair my entire life and this is the ONLY thing that has EVER worked (and I have tried it ALL!!!!).

And no my head does not look oily or greasy at all (gray however... is another matter...)

(This information actually came from an article I read a few years ago from a curly-hair specialist. I've been DIEING to go to their Salon back home in Toronto - a salon JUST for culy hair... *sigh*)

I condition at least 4-5 times a week (I use Treseme, I just started with it & so far I love it!), and will use water & finger to scrub at my scalp.

However, while I was working at a horse barn I had to shampoo at least once a week because of the amount of dirt in my work. Then I used baby-shampoo which is gentler on your hair.
I did this for many years.... Conditioning washing... Tresame has Silicone, if I am not mistaken, which can cause build up - Try VO5 - to :wash the clarifying line, and to finish up the hydrating... I think you will love it - and it is cheaper than Tresame by a whole bunch.
But the best for this is Wen. It is AMMMMAAAAAZZZIIINGGG.... But very expensive too.
A agree with you - the best thing for your hair - big time.
Today I do use shampoo, but a tinyyyyy little bit. Like diluted in 1/64 parts... The rest is Vo5.
post #14 of 32
I've tried V05 and it didn't work for me - you may well be right about the Treseme though ; I tend to switch conditioners on a bi-monthly basis. I can never seem to find one that does everything I really want it to do .

Garnier I really liked for strength (and it really did strengthen my hair) but too my frizz.
Dove was nice, but too soft so too much frizz, really great conditioning though.
Herbal Essences does nothing but smell nice.

I could go On & On & On...

I forgot to add - don't apply conditioner directly to your scalp, especially if you are prone because it will cause dandruff. I do sometimes have to use head & shoulders in the winter, but I try to get around that as much as possible :S.
post #15 of 32
I'm in the Mojave, so I know exactly what you mean.
When I use my body moistuerizer, as soon as my hands feel as though there is barely any left, I run my fingers through, under and over my hair.
I do this several times a day.
post #16 of 32
This is what I do. I don't wash my hair everyday. I used to, and I would blow dry and straighten it. That caused a lot of damage to my hair. I was told that you shouldn't wash your hair everyday, because the oils is actually good for it. I was my hair about 2x a week. On the days I don't wash it, I just put it up in a bun on top of my head so it doesn't get wet in the shower.

When I do wash my hair, I use Dove Frizz Control Therapy Shampoo, Wash it, rinse it, and then use the Dove Frizz Control Therapy conditioner, and I leave that in while I was my body and face. I rinse right before I get out. Then, I wrap it in a towel to soak up extra water. Then, I use Garnier Fructise leave in conditioner, and right after I add Garnier Frizz Control Serum. Then I use a rectangular flatbrush while I blowdry it, which helps straighten it while I blowdry. That way I don't have to use a flat iron and it really cuts down on the heat damage. It helps even more that I don't wahs it everyday, so I don't have to blowdry everyday, which also cuts down on the damage. I think my hair looks and feels a lot better now than it did when I would wash it everyday.
post #17 of 32
Is all V05 shampoo and conditioner silicone free? They do have sulfates though, correct?
post #18 of 32
I have the same problem. It's usually okay in the summer, I let my hair air dry every morning after showering, by the time I get to class it's dry, and in the shower I do not wash with shampoo just conditioner. For shampoo I use a sulfate free paraben free shampoo about once every 5 days. But now that it's winter if I let my hair air dry in the morning I'd get icicles in it. So, I need leave with my hair completely dry, and I am NOT going to blow dry every morning, I've done that for a long time and it had damaged my hair a lot. Right now my hair isn't damaged since I cut away all of the damage, but the texture of my hair itself is just prone to frizz. If I sleep on it there is very little I can do in the morning.
What I plan to try is dry shampoo. It is a spray that you put in your hair and it makes it softer and easier to style and brush, etc..I am going to buy that next chance I get and I'll see if it works...
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes View Post

Garnier I really liked for strength (and it really did strengthen my hair) but too my frizz.
Dove was nice, but too soft so too much frizz, really great conditioning though.
Herbal Essences does nothing but smell nice.

I could go On & On & On...
Interesting how different conditioners can be for different people- Garnier for me is sooo drying, same with L'oreal and Treseme...
Herbal Essences is my favorite conditioner, because I feel like it is the most moisturizing one. I use the blue kind. I switch them up too, and I go between Sunsilk which I find to be similar to Herbal Essences and Dove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
Is all V05 shampoo and conditioner silicone free? They do have sulfates though, correct?
Conditioners are all typically sulfate free, because sulfates are used in products that foam up and conditioners don't need to foam up in general. It is the shampoos where you find sulfates, I have to get organic shampoo that is paraben and sulfate free. Aveno is one shampoo you can find in the drugstore that is sulfate free but from what I've looked at all the other brands at the drugstores have sulfates. I get my sulfate free one from whole foods.
post #20 of 32
Aloe vera! Just the plain green stuff you get for sunburn.

For those wanting to go shampoo free you can try a combo of baking soda to "wash" and a vinegar rinse to "condition".
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
Is all V05 shampoo and conditioner silicone free? They do have sulfates though, correct?
No, not all of the conditioners are. I can't remember exactly which ones are, but I know both of the Tea Therapy ones are and the Kiwi Lime Squeeze clarifying one is. I'll try to find out for you.
post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
Aloe vera! Just the plain green stuff you get for sunburn.
I have pure Aloe Vera gel; how do I use it?
post #23 of 32
I had that problem too, changed shampoos dozens of times and finally, had a bit of a water crunch here (my hair vs the horses drinking, horses won) and went back to washing hair once a week, max and changed back to Clairol shampoo, which is the least new and improved over the old salon versions, and no more flyaways and I wear a fur hat every day in the winter and fur really makes hair stand up on end. I specifically use the Herbal Essences longterm relationship for long hair, both shampoo and conditioner - never noticed silicone mentioned in the ingredient list.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
- never noticed silicone mentioned in the ingredient list.
I'm pretty sure anything ending in -cone is a silicone, and in conditioners there are a few different ones.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
I'm pretty sure anything ending in -cone is a silicone, and in conditioners there are a few different ones.
................. many different names, this is an easy way to get away from them.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
Is all V05 shampoo and conditioner silicone free? They do have sulfates though, correct?
I think all the VO5 conditioners are cone free, if I am not mistaken - I have here in my house the Tea Therapy line, the clarifying, and the hydrating milk - all of them are. The shampoos are not sulfate free - a good place to get sulfate free shampoo is Whole foods - I still like diluting them (a LOT)
But check on the back of the packaging to make sure...

they look like this:
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4 View Post
I like Frizz-eaze or Garnier Fructis frizz control serum. They are kinda expensive, but they really work for frizzy hair, and flyaways.
I second the Garnier Fructis serum! It's what I use on my hair along with Herbal Essence Color Me Happy conditioner.

The frizz control serum is kind of expensive but it lasts for a long long time.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpeters23 View Post
I have pure Aloe Vera gel; how do I use it?
That's the stuff... just rub a tiny bit between your hands and smooth it over your hair. It works kind of like hair gel but with out the stiffness and a little bit goes a long way.
post #29 of 32
Okay I looked into it and I think all of the VO5 conditioners sold in the US are cone free, but the same ones sold in the UK DO have cones in them.

What about Glycerin, though? Is that along the same lines as cones? I always avoided the VO5 freesia scent (and a couple others) b/c it has glycerin in it.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
Okay I looked into it and I think all of the VO5 conditioners sold in the US are cone free, but the same ones sold in the UK DO have cones in them.

What about Glycerin, though? Is that along the same lines as cones? I always avoided the VO5 freesia scent (and a couple others) b/c it has glycerin in it.
From my research veg glycerin is fine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Remedies for fine, flyaway hair?