Could my cat have an intestinal blockage?

amandakh22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night about 10pm my cat Charlie came downstair swallowing hard, sticking his tongue out and shaking his head. We just put the fake tree up the day ealier and thought maybe he ate some of it since he seems to keep trying to. He then went and ate something and within a 1/2 hr he vomited a lot. At the end of his vomiting I saw something quickly hang out and he swallowed hard to get it back down. I was too far away and couldn't get a great look and it was so fast, but it looked dark. I went over to him to try to grab it if it started to come out again but it didn't. We then contemplated what to do and about 1 1/2 hrs later we decided to induce vomiting in case something was still in there. We gave him hydrogen peroxide and after 5 minutes he vomited a lot. It was totally green but I didn't see what I saw before. He has since vomited ever time he eats. I did see him pee normally and he also deficated however when he deficated he strained a bit before anything came out. He hasn't eaten anything in a while and I know he hasn't had anything stay down since last night so I'm worried that he isn't more hungry. Does this sound like an obstruction? Could he not defecate at all if he had an obstruction (or would that be normal for him to defecate since it was the food he hate prior to the problem)? His disposition seems good but I haven't seen him drink (doesn't mean he hasn't though). We can't afford to take him to the vet, especially if it is nothing. Is it ok to wait until he seems to feel bad or is it then too late?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

It sounds as though your cat needs veterinary attention ASAP. Do you have an emergency vet nearby? Does your vet have an after hours number you can call? Please do an internet search or use your local phone book to find a vet near you, and get your cat seen as soon as you can.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amandakh22

I know he hasn't had anything stay down since last night
Whenever this happens in a pet or human and there's problems eating and drinking, medical care is needed. Dehydration is very serious.

Chances are you may have heard or seen something to raise your suspicions that he ate something besides what you think you might have seen him try to vomit, so go with your gut instinct and go to the vet ASAP.

If you're pressed for cash look into carecredit, ask family or a friend for a loan, or sell/pawn something if you have to.

that your cat will be ok.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Whenever this happens in a pet or human and there's problems eating and drinking, medical care is needed. Dehydration is very serious.

Chances are you may have heard or seen something to raise your suspicions that he ate something besides what you think you might have seen him try to vomit, so go with your gut instinct and go to the vet ASAP.

If you're pressed for cash look into carecredit, ask family or a friend for a loan, or sell/pawn something if you have to.

that your cat will be ok.
and don't forget with care credit, you can apply online AND over the phone and they will give you an account number that you can use right away. Trust me, it was a lifesaver when Top Cat suddenly hurt his arm really bad.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO it does sound like he could have an intestinal blockage... Of course none of us can say this... Only a vet and an X-ray will be able to help your little friend but please please take your little guy to the vet ASAP...

As you said he hasn't kept anything in him since last night, and has thrown up every time he ate... not counting the visual signs you had... those are classic indications of blockage... The poop can be what was in his intestines PRIOR to him eating/getting blocked.
Of course this is all speculation, based on what you are saying but if it is true there is no saying how much suffering he must be going through.
Just PLEASE take him?...
CareCredit is a great option - I included the link - you can use it immediately, please just apply for it and go....

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this sounds like it could be serious. I would get him to the vet right away. That amount of vomiting is not normal, especially if you saw something he was trying to cough up. It could block him or even puncture his intestines if it is something sharp.

If you apply for care credit, they will tell you immediately online if you are approved. Then you can print out the page and take it with you to the vet and not have to wait for your card in the mail. I just did this and used it yesterday with no problems.

calicolois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you took your kitty in!! My kitty was doing something very similar with her mouth -- but not vomiting -- we took her for an x-ray yesterday and she DOES have something in there -- they are operating this morning!! Take your kitty in if this is still going on and you haven't done it already!