Kitten won't eat dry food....

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quil is about 8 weeks old and we got him last Thursday. He was eating dry food at the shelter, but I started giving him wet food when I brought him home. Now he won't touch his dry food. The husband says I have spoiled him, lol.

He weighed 1lbs 9oz at the vet last Saturday, but he has gained a little potbelly since then, so he probably gained a bit of oz's.

I know a lot of people say wet food is better then dry (and I believe you), but I like to feed half & half. I feed mainly Authority wet, sometimes other "high qualities" if they are on sale/have a coupon. I feed Natural Balance Salmon & Green Pea dry (no grains) and my 2 other kitties are doing extremely well on it (finally found "the food" for us!!).

Right now Quil is eating about 4-5oz of wet per day....multiple feedings (6:30 am, 2pm, 6pm, then usually again at 10pm or so) because he screams bloody murder when he's hungry. Is this a lot of food for a little kitten?

How can I get Quil to eat dry food?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he eats all the wet food in one sitting, you can try to sprinkle dry on top of the wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did try that, but he ate around it/only ate a few pieces. My husband says I need to hold off on some of the wet food....but I don't want to starve him, so I keep giving him the wet food.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by undergunfire

I did try that, but he ate around it/only ate a few pieces. My husband says I need to hold off on some of the wet food....but I don't want to starve him, so I keep giving him the wet food.
Quil is a smart little guy.

Seriously, if you know kibble isn't good for cats and Quil isn't yet addicted to it, why give it to him?

Either way, you're quite correct about starving a cat, especially a kitten. Just not a good idea.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitty is smart ... canned is great for them ... you will have to ensure enough feedings when feeding only to mostly canned

kitten s eat double what an adult eats ... so 1 to 2 oz per lb of wt for a kitten ...

so nearly 2 lbs eating 4-5 oz is right on... now you could give more as some source s say up to three times the adult amount

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Quil is a smart little guy.

Seriously, if you know kibble isn't good for cats and Quil isn't yet addicted to it, why give it to him?

Either way, you're quite correct about starving a cat, especially a kitten. Just not a good idea.
exactly what I was thinking. That is one smart cat!

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, in 5 months when I head off to dog grooming school for 8 weeks....Quil will only get 2 feedings per day. I will also be *hopefully* getting a full time grooming job after school, so he will still get only 2 wet feedings per day.

I leave out measured amounts of dry food during the day for the kitties to snack on. I only feed 3 oz per adult cat per day. I am having to take on another cat because my MIL is irresponsible and thinks that just because we are renting her house for 3 years (shes moving to WI for those years) at reduced rent, means that I can "foster" her cat for those 3 years. So....I'm not sure how to keep 3 kitties away from the 4th kitties wet food.

The reason why I like feeding dry is because it gives them something to eat throughout the day and if I am running late....they have food to snack on. Plus, the cost is a huge factor, as well. I don't think dry is bad, but I just know everyone says wet is better....and I'm not doubting it, but I don't think measured amounts of dry with wet food daily is doing any damage.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The reason why I like feeding dry is because it gives them something to eat throughout the day and if I am running late....they have food to snack on. Plus, the cost is a huge factor, as well. I don't think dry is bad, but I just know everyone says wet is better....and I'm not doubting it, but I don't think measured amounts of dry with wet food daily is doing any damage.
When you get a chance, UnderGunfire, you should google "The Dangers of Dry Food"; you are likely to spend more on vet costs down the road after feeding a lifetime of dry than you will spend today feeding wet foods.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats will starve rather than eat something they don't want to eat.

The round belly and screaming for food makes me think "belly full of worms", you might want to talk to the vet about that.

Try different kibble. Perhaps the size, shape, or taste is not to baby Quil's liking. (though I also am an advocate for mostly canned diet. My cats eat 80/20: canned is main meals, kibble is snacks, I do not free feed.)

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already got a fecal test done at the vets office. I got the results back on Tuesday and Quil is parasite free

I've tried different kinds of dry foods....Authority, AvoDerm, and different flavors of Natural Balance (had all sample packs).

I already know of the "dangers" of dry foods. Millions of people feed dry food only. I'm not only feeding the dry food, I am also feeding canned, as advised to do so before when I had issues with TOTW. I can't do a raw diet....it sickens me and I give up. I've tried it twice already.

Like I said...I like to offer dry to my kitties, so they have something to snack on. They get 1/2 cup per day in their dish between my 2 adults and they don't even eat it all by the end of the day. I have been reading on this forum and it seems a lot of people offer dry as a snack. If I took dry away, my Juju would probably starve....he isn't too huge about wet foods...usually only when he feels like it. He does get at least 3 oz per day, though. Sometimes I'll feed Juju & Tibi 6oz each in a day....it just depends on if they want more or not.

I also feel like feeding the wet food that I can actually afford (Authority, mostly) isn't good on its own because my cats just do well with dry/wet combo. Maybe if I could afford Wellness or something, then I'd feed more wet then dry...if my cats are willing..but they seem to like dry/wet.

So, anymore tips on trying to get Quil interested in dry food or will he probably not start eating it?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I already got a fecal test done at the vets office. I got the results back on Tuesday and Quil is parasite free

So, anymore tips on trying to get Quil interested in dry food or will he probably not start eating it?
Fecal tests are not 100%.

Just keep trying different types I guess, until you find one that clicks with him.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quil was dewormed at the shelter apparently and then I paid $43 for a fecal test at my vet that said he was parasite free...so hopefully that is the case. Everyone has firm poops here and I think I read somewhere they runny poo can mean parasites.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Undergunfire, I have 2 kittens of 3.5 months old and one of them (Cheetah) is crazy about wet food and another (Panther) is not a big fan of wet food.

I have been giving them 2oz of wet food each meal and I can only feed them 2 meals 3 days of the week, and other days I can feed them 3 meals a day. I have dry food for them all day. As much as I want to feed them all wet, my work schedule does not allow frequent feeding. Another problem is that Cheetah is having sensitive stomach so he should not be fed too much at one time, but Panther will always have leftover and Cheetah will run over to finish it. So as for now, I am feeding wet and dry too. I am in the same boat with you.

Instead of putting dry on top of wet, have you tried to break the dry food into smaller piece and mix well with wet? If it works, maybe you can gradually increase the dry food in the mixture. Also trying other brands of dry food is a good idea too. I am feeding Royal Canin because it is what they have been eating in the shelter, but I am in the process of transitioning to Orijen. When I first handed them a piece of Orijen, they got so excited Panther even bit my finger.

Maybe you can sprinkle some crashed snacks on very small amount of dry food, see if your kitten will think it is a snack. Good Luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by koobe

Instead of putting dry on top of wet, have you tried to break the dry food into smaller piece and mix well with wet? If it works, maybe you can gradually increase the dry food in the mixture. Also trying other brands of dry food is a good idea too. I am feeding Royal Canin because it is what they have been eating in the shelter, but I am in the process of transitioning to Orijen. When I first handed them a piece of Orijen, they got so excited Panther even bit my finger.

Maybe you can sprinkle some crashed snacks on very small amount of dry food, see if your kitten will think it is a snack. Good Luck!
Mixing wet and dry is Generally NOT a safe thing to do .. Bacterial blooms can occur in just over 20 minutes of dry food being moistened ... this could cause serious illness .

If you moisten dry food remove any that is not eaten within 20 minutes of moistening

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Mixing wet and dry is Generally NOT a safe thing to do .. Bacterial blooms can occur in just over 20 minutes of dry food being moistened ... this could cause serious illness .

If you moisten dry food remove any that is not eaten within 20 minutes of moistening
Yes please do *not* mix dry and wet together, Sharky is 100% correct!

I just want to mention that a growing kitten eats and needs a lot more food than what a full grown cat will eat, almost double. He's still a baby and needs that extra nutrition to develop and grow properly and healthily.

Personally, I would be so delighted if mine wanted no dry and just canned. But, if you want to give them dry as well as canned, I would recommend that you try to find brands that are grain free. Many cats, although not all, develop allergies to foods that contain wheat gluten, rice, oats, etc. and once they get used to that kind of food, it is *extremely difficult* to switch them over to a healthier food. It's like trying to get them to stop eating junk food.

One brand that I can recommend is Instinct by Nature's Variety. It has an exclusive freeze dried raw bio-coating so in essence your kitty is getting some of the raw (freeze dried) but without the hassle of actual raw.

Out of curiosity, when you did try to feed your cats raw, how did they react to it?

Another thing that is important to mention is that when switching foods with cats it must be done slowly.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Good thing to know, Sharky! I have tried mixing dry with wet 2 times only with Panther. I removed them actually within 10 mins since I was just trying to see if Panther will eat that particular brand and flavor of canned food. When he did not, I threw it away.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

I just want to mention that a growing kitten eats and needs a lot more food than what a full grown cat will eat, almost double. He's still a baby and needs that extra nutrition to develop and grow properly and healthily.

Personally, I would be so delighted if mine wanted no dry and just canned. But, if you want to give them dry as well as canned, I would recommend that you try to find brands that are grain free. Many cats, although not all, develop allergies to foods that contain wheat gluten, rice, oats, etc. and once they get used to that kind of food, it is *extremely difficult* to switch them over to a healthier food. It's like trying to get them to stop eating junk food.

One brand that I can recommend is Instinct by Nature's Variety. It has an exclusive freeze dried raw bio-coating so in essence your kitty is getting some of the raw (freeze dried) but without the hassle of actual raw.

Out of curiosity, when you did try to feed your cats raw, how did they react to it?

Another thing that is important to mention is that when switching foods with cats it must be done slowly.
I don't mean to be rude....but it seems like I am having to re-explain everything over again every time someone posts

I already feed a grain free dry.....Natural Balance's Salmon & Green Pea. I will not switch foods again...I think I have finally found the dry food for us. My cats have switched soooo many times over the past year because other foods haven't done well for them. Plus, NB's grain free varieties are decently priced. I avoid feeding low quality foods to my pets. My dog is on EVO and my rabbits are on Oxbow....all "higher end" foods.

I'd never let any sort of wet food sit out for more then 20 minutes....so I have that covered if I put in some bits of dry into the wet food.

I do know kittens will eat more then adults....same for any growing animal. I just wasn't sure if I was over feeding my kitten on the wet food. I also know to switch foods slowly....I've done it with the dog & rabbits.

I have tried feeding raw 2 times over the past few months. My cats were okay with it, but soon didn't want it anymore. Personally, I have found out that I can't be a raw feeder. I have finally gone vegetarian myself in the past few months and raw meat grosses me out. I'm afraid to touch it, I hate cutting things up with knives, and seeing my cats eat it really makes me sick. Raw isn't for everyone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are smart animals ... he may be allergic or sensitive to one of the ingrediants in the dry your feeding..

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Cats are smart animals ... he may be allergic or sensitive to one of the ingrediants in the dry your feeding..
But I have tried multiple kinds of food. I tried my sample packs of NB Chicken & Green Pea, NB Duck & Green Pea, Authority sensitive stomach, AvoDerm, plus the NB Salmon & Green Pea that I feed my other kitties. I thought NB was low ingredients, so that you can usually avoid food allergies?

Can I mix the dry with some kitten milk formula? Sprinkle something on the dry food to get him to eat it? I don't think you can get cat food bits smaller then what they are, so I don't think the size is the issue. I saw the bits at the shelter and they were big star shaped pieces. I am just hoping he will eat it (he did eat dry at the shelter, so I know he can do it), because soon I won't be able to do multiple feedings.

Maybe over time he will just start eating it, when I am unable to feed him wet 3+ times a day. That is my big worry....I don't want to "starve" him between hours of feeding wet. Who knows when I will be able to feed wet once I start my own mobile pet grooming business...I may be out of the house for 10 hours a day....my husband too, depending on his new promotion at work.