or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Looking for a dog! Ontario!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a dog! Ontario!!

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone,

It is time to welcome a dog into my life. My SO and I have bought a house, the bills are not too taxing on us (we waited a couple months to make sure we have extra money) and this week we completed fencing in our entire backyard (my stipulation). Now it is time to start looking!

We want an adult dog, medium-large (lab/shepherd cross size) and a female (our best friend has a male dobie and we want the best chance of them getting along)

So if anyone knows of any dogs in ontario that are available that fit this description please let me know! we are going to start going to the shelters and looking at dogs on petfinder this week.

Very excited! Hopefully Cello and Kismet will be as excited....
post #2 of 57
Good luck! It sounds like you've got everything well planned out!
post #3 of 57
Good luck! I was sure that my cats would HATE our new dog (5.5 month old Australian Shepherd), but it was only a couple of days before they were playing and all piled up in the dog bed together.
post #4 of 57
Ohhh....how exciting! Good luck in the search - think carefully - visit shelters, don't look past older or special needs pets (that is if you can handle their specific special needs!).
post #5 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Ohhh....how exciting! Good luck in the search - think carefully - visit shelters, don't look past older or special needs pets (that is if you can handle their specific special needs!).


Have fun finding your new best friend
post #6 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Ohhh....how exciting! Good luck in the search - think carefully - visit shelters, don't look past older or special needs pets (that is if you can handle their specific special needs!).
we are only looking for an adult! so age isn't really an issue, just looking for the right fit! And like you said, there are some "special needs" I can handle and some I can't.
post #7 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post


Have fun finding your new best friend
I don't think Cello would appreciate this he is after all, my best friend.
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunsie View Post
I don't think Cello would appreciate this he is after all, my best friend.
Well Cello needs to learn Mom can have more than one best friend
post #9 of 57
May I suggest checking the Upper Credit Animal Shelter. They have some wonderful dogs and they are good people. You can check online what they have and they give a good description usually about personality, etc.
post #10 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
May I suggest checking the Upper Credit Animal Shelter. They have some wonderful dogs and they are good people. You can check online what they have and they give a good description usually about personality, etc.
Just went and checked out their website. I love lacy. Might go see her! Thanks for the heads up.
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunsie View Post
Just went and checked out their website. I love lacy. Might go see her! Thanks for the heads up.
If you do decide to check out Lacy, you and Steve are welcome to come by for a coffee if you like.
post #12 of 57
We have one I am putting up on the website tonight, Ellie, a fawn Shepherd X about a year old. She is a little shy but very sweet and will be available tomorrow.

I think all the other new ones are male or puppies

EDIT: Since she isnt on the website yet, here is Ellie


Excuse the tshirt, she found her stitches way too yummy and can get out of an ecollar
post #13 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
We have one I am putting up on the website tonight, Ellie, a fawn Shepherd X about a year old. She is a little shy but very sweet and will be available tomorrow.

I think all the other new ones are male or puppies

EDIT: Since she isnt on the website yet, here is Ellie


Excuse the tshirt, she found her stitches way too yummy and can get out of an ecollar
Wow! We really wanted a white/light coloured shepherd cross. She is waaaaaaaaaaay to cute. She is a bit younger then I wanted.... but I think we're going to come see her tomorrow afternoon/evening. Do you have ANY idea how she is with other animals (cats/dogs). Do we need to make an appnt to see her?
post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunsie View Post
Wow! We really wanted a white/light coloured shepherd cross. She is waaaaaaaaaaay to cute. She is a bit younger then I wanted.... but I think we're going to come see her tomorrow afternoon/evening. Do you have ANY idea how she is with other animals (cats/dogs). Do we need to make an appnt to see her?
Oh golly! She really is beautiful. She has a lovely and kind face.
post #15 of 57
Nope, no appointment

I PMed you the other details
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
We have one I am putting up on the website tonight, Ellie, a fawn Shepherd X about a year old. She is a little shy but very sweet and will be available tomorrow.

I think all the other new ones are male or puppies

EDIT: Since she isnt on the website yet, here is Ellie


Excuse the tshirt, she found her stitches way too yummy and can get out of an ecollar
Awwww Ellie is a doll!

Good luck on your search!
post #17 of 57
Oh she is lovely and her eyes are so kind. Good luck on your search. Sending vibes that you and Ellie mesh.
post #18 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink View Post
Oh she is lovely and her eyes are so kind. Good luck on your search. Sending vibes that you and Ellie mesh.
she was already adopted! but vibes for more goodluck please
post #19 of 57
Coming your way
post #20 of 57
Thread Starter 
They are going to see how she does with cats today, if all goes according to plan then this will be our dog tomorrow....

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=15120008
post #21 of 57
She is beautiful..... I hope she does get along with cats and she can come home to you soon.
post #22 of 57
Thread Starter 
Yeah! they just called and said she was great with cats which is good because cello has already staked claims to the petbed we bought her.

I did buy a gate that the cats can get in and out of into a 'safe room' that the dog can't enter, and it's a room that they already have food, water and cat tree in, so I think it should all work out.

Hopeful, hopeful, hopeful.
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunsie View Post
Yeah! they just called and said she was great with cats which is good because cello has already staked claims to the petbed we bought her.

I did buy a gate that the cats can get in and out of into a 'safe room' that the dog can't enter, and it's a room that they already have food, water and cat tree in, so I think it should all work out.

Hopeful, hopeful, hopeful.


SOunds like you may have found the dog for you..... or she found you

Is she going to be coming home tonight?

Of course we're demanding pics..... I hope the intros go well when she comes home.
post #24 of 57
Thread Starter 
She should be coming home with my SO tonight, assuming that the intro. with him goes well. I won't be home till really late so I won't meet her till the wee hours of the morning, pictures to follow tomorrow.

As for cat intro's it should go OK. Sometimes I take my cats home to my parents and we have a very rambunctious, yet sweet natured, dog, and after about a day the cats don't even hide from her. And whenever my girlfriend brings her doberman over, the cats hiss and spit for a bit, but that seems to be that. For the first little while we will crate the dog when we aren't home, to be sure there aren't any unsupervised altercation. We also got a really awesome pet gate (that has a built in human door and cat flap!), and gated off our spare room where the cats already have their bed, cat tree, water dish and where I feed them sometimes, so I'll move a litter box up there, so they have somewhere they can always escape....... hopefully I'm prepared in that respect!
post #25 of 57
Hey I missed this thread! How exciting! Lotsa vibes that all the intros go smoothly. Yay, a good home for an older dog!
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunsie View Post
She should be coming home with my SO tonight, assuming that the intro. with him goes well. I won't be home till really late so I won't meet her till the wee hours of the morning, pictures to follow tomorrow.
awwww. Can't wait
post #27 of 57
So how did the first night go?
post #28 of 57
Thread Starter 
she is wonderul, my perfect dog really, other then I think she is going to get MUCH bigger then I was hoping. she is 'full grown' at 3, however has NO fat and NO muscle tone, so she might be 60 or 70 lbs. now but she is going to get much bigger. Also she didn't know how name at all, so she is now riikka (Ree-ka it's finnish).

She is wonderful with the cats, and the cats just aren't bothering with her. The intro's couldn't have gone any better. She is one of the most gentle dog's I have ever met. She doesn't have a lot of confidence, she is very timid meeting people but once you introduce yourself all she wants is pats and love.

She also has no training (housebroke though! yeah!), but seems to have already picked up sit a little bit, we are going to take her to obedience, but probably in the new year, give her a couple months to gain confidence. In the house she is SO quiet, she loves her bed, hasn't made a peep. Anyways, it seems like it is going to work out perfectly.

We are taking her to the vet though this week, just incase, getting a once over, blood work, and I think getting her mouth and stuff checked. She doesn't have much of an appetite, her breath is AWFUL! and she 'yawns' a lot, not sure if that's a behaviour, or medical or something else.
Her stools are also runny, but none of these things are suprising considering she was a stray, then in a shelter for a couple months (and didn't do well) and then was transported to a foster for one night, then to our place.

Any advice though on the confidence and breath would be appreciated or advice in general, we are pretty new dog owners. Also any breed guesses?
We think she might not be a cross at-all and might be an anatolian-shepherd.

With no further adieu - Riikka

But first - everything for cello, even dog beds


Here she is! (better outside pictures to follow)






post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunsie View Post

Any advice though on the confidence and breath would be appreciated or advice in general, we are pretty new dog owners. Also any breed guesses?
We think she might not be a cross at-all and might be an anatolian-shepherd.

With no further adieu - Riikka
She is BEAUTIFUL.

Breath: if she is also gassy, I would change her food. What food is she on?

Like cats, dogs benefit greatly from having their teeth brushed which is something I'd get started as soon as you can. It would help with her breath for sure as well as dental benefits down the road.

Confidence: No easy answer on that one. Confidence building takes time, lots of praise. I personally use treat based rewards....one of my friends who breeds dogs, does not. Encourage her, take her out for walks, praise her often..... confidence will come.... it just comes slowly.

My one dog, had been hit as a puppy.... NOT beat, but slapped on the nose as discipline (I don't agree, and don't recommend) and even after 6yrs with me, she would still cower if you raised a hand ( I noticed it a few times, but an example would be one time when I was disciplining her, I had a firm voice and had her sit and stay, I reached my hand up for something off of my desk totally unrelated, and she cowered ).

I find dogs to be like people when it comes to confidence building. Gentle encouragement, lots of lovin's and praises and it will come.

As far as breed, I'd like to see a side profile shot if possible?
post #30 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
She is BEAUTIFUL.

Breath: if she is also gassy, I would change her food. What food is she on?

Like cats, dogs benefit greatly from having their teeth brushed which is something I'd get started as soon as you can. It would help with her breath for sure as well as dental benefits down the road.

Confidence: No easy answer on that one. Confidence building takes time, lots of praise. I personally use treat based rewards....one of my friends who breeds dogs, does not. Encourage her, take her out for walks, praise her often..... confidence will come.... it just comes slowly.

My one dog, had been hit as a puppy.... NOT beat, but slapped on the nose as discipline (I don't agree, and don't recommend) and even after 6yrs with me, she would still cower if you raised a hand ( I noticed it a few times, but an example would be one time when I was disciplining her, I had a firm voice and had her sit and stay, I reached my hand up for something off of my desk totally unrelated, and she cowered ).

I find dogs to be like people when it comes to confidence building. Gentle encouragement, lots of lovin's and praises and it will come.

As far as breed, I'd like to see a side profile shot if possible?
She doesn't seem gassy, and she had the classic shelter problem,. where she ate whatever they had handy, and apparently not much of it. We have her on orijens (only has had one meal so far) and are going to supplement it with a homemade groundbeef, rice, pasta, veggie dogfood I've always made for my dogs.

We will go buy some stuff for oral care ASAP.

Here is her side profile, and keep in mind, she has NO muscle and is really underweight! Let me know what you think

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Looking for a dog! Ontario!!