Best Dry Food for Food Allergies

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had more then my share of issues with my cats and dogs. Have been battling ringworm. Lesions healed had have had negative tests.

Streak starting itching very bad right after her ringworm lesions healed. To the point of chewing down her fur and leaving scabs on her skin. She has been getting fungus baths for months. I stopped 3 week ago because the baths have not helped with her issue. I've tried 2 different types of fungus shampoo thinking one might have been to harsh.

It doesn't look like ringworm. I am having to wait to bring her to the vets for another check.

In the mean time I want to switch her food to see if it could possible be a food allergy. I have had to switch her food several times when husband brought home the kitten Paw because he had the runs so bad. Kitten is now a year old so I can put them all back onto adult food.

I know it's not fleas.

Right now she is on Nutro dry chicken kitten food and a small serving of lamb & rice wet food by NaturalLife. She is taking a new multi vitamin daily but the scratching started before the vitamin.

What can I buy to help if it is food allergies from PetSmart or WalMart. I prefer not to do mail order for the petfood because of cost.

Thanks in advance.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One: talk with the vet ... ie Many of us have decent relationships with our vets and Phone calls do not cost... Since you have been in for the ringworm I am guessing this would be the case

Two : The normal allergy route is one protein / one starch or grain .... You would want to check current food ( if memory serves it is chicken and rice with corn gluten) and AVOID those proteins and grains/ starches .. So you may want a salmon and pea formula ( this is available I know at petco ) or maybe a lamb formula...

Also check the wet food

Main allergens in cats
soy
wheat
fish

then
beef
chicken
rice
corn
peas

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco has Natural Balance Venison and Pea Dry... I don't know if they do have a Salmon and Pea? They DO have a wet version of it. Venison and Pea they do have both wet and dry.

My vet told me that the prescription Royal Canin (same flavor) works much better... just as an FYI - it is much more $$$ though - like $28 for a 6lb bag...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Petco has Natural Balance Venison and Pea Dry... I don't know if they do have a Salmon and Pea? They DO have a wet version of it. Venison and Pea they do have both wet and dry.

My vet told me that the prescription Royal Canin (same flavor) works much better... just as an FYI - it is much more $$$ though - like $28 for a 6lb bag...
they do I have a sample of it

As for walmart I do not think any outside a few wets would work .... Petsmart just read , I was in there briefly the other day and did not see anything new

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

As for walmart I do not think any outside a few wets would work .... Petsmart just read , I was in there briefly the other day and did not see anything new
Cool - gotta try it for mr Bugsy!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

One: talk with the vet ... ie Many of us have decent relationships with our vets and Phone calls do not cost... Since you have been in for the ringworm I am guessing this would be the case

Two : The normal allergy route is one protein / one starch or grain .... You would want to check current food ( if memory serves it is chicken and rice with corn gluten) and AVOID those proteins and grains/ starches .. So you may want a salmon and pea formula ( this is available I know at petco ) or maybe a lamb formula...

Also check the wet food

Main allergens in cats
soy
wheat
fish

then
beef
chicken
rice
corn
peas
The vet will tell me to bring her in for more tests. I will as soon as I can. I didn't think to find the label earlier for the nutro kitten food I'm using. Here it is.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/mcdry-iasal.shtml

Nutritional Adequacy Statement
Animal feeding tests using AAFCO¹ procedures substantiate that NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] MAXÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] CAT Kitten Roasted Chicken Flavor provides complete and balanced nutrition for growing kittens and gestating/lactating adult cats.
¹Association of American Feed Control Officials.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Rice, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Rice Bran, Chicken, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
Nutro Products, Inc. supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 34.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 19.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 3.00%
Moisture (maximum) 10.00%
Ash (maximum) 7.00%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50%
Zinc (minimum) 210 mg/kg
Vitamin E (minimum) 150 IU/kg
Taurine (minimum) 0.16%
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 15 mg/kg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (minimum)* 0.05%

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

Animal feeding tests using AAFCO¹ procedures substantiate that NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] MAXÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] CAT Adult Salmon Flavor provides complete and balanced nutrition for adult cat maintenance.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavors, Salmon Meal, Salmon Protein Concentrate, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
Nutro Products, Inc. supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 30.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 15.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 4.00%
Ash (maximum) 6.75%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 4.00%
Magnesium (maximum) 0.088%
Zinc (minimum) 250 mg/kg
Taurine (minimum) 0.16%
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 18 mg/kg
L-Carnitine (minimum)* 50 mg/kg

The Salmon has the same first 3 Ingredients. Second ingredient is corn gluten meal. This isn't good? I'm sorry I don't understand exactly what to look for.Next I listed the ingredients for the canned cat food I am using.

Natural Life Lamaderm Cat Formula
Lamaderm Feline is made with the finest ingredients, including lamb meal made from 100% New Zealand grown lambs, ground whole brown rice and oatmeal. Natural Life never uses any by-products, artificial preservatives or colors.

Ingredients:
LAMB, LAMB BROTH, LAMB LIVER, KIDNEY, GROUND BROWN RICE, PEAS, CARROTS, LECITHIN, CALCIUM CARBONATE, FLAXSEED MEAL, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, GUAR GUM, CRANBERRY MEAL, MINERALS (IRON AMINO ACID CHELATE, ZINC AMINO ACID CHELATE, COBALT AMINO ACID CHELATE, COPPER AMINO ACID CHELATE, MANGANESE AMINO ACID CHELATE, SODIUM SELENITE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E, A, D3, B12 SUPPLEMENTS, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, NIACIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TAURINE, CARRAGEENAN.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Moisture (max) 78
Crude Protein (min) 10
Crude Fat (min) 5
Ash (max) 1.9
Crude Fiber (max) 0.5
Taurine (min) 0.05
Magnesium (max) 0.03

I can not feed only wet food. I need to find a good quality food that does not cost a fortune. Any chance anyone knows of a good brand that is sold at petsmart that would most likely not cause food allergies?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will highlight in
and the ones that more than one have in in blue

I think I made it a bit simpler by this and a list of IMHO avoid in next food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StormySkiez

The vet will tell me to bring her in for more tests. I will as soon as I can. I didn't think to find the label earlier for the nutro kitten food I'm using. Here it is.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/mcdry-iasal.shtml

Animal feeding tests using AAFCO¹ procedures substantiate that NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] MAXÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] CAT Kitten Roasted Chicken Flavor provides complete and balanced nutrition for growing kittens and gestating/lactating adult cats.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Rice, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Rice Bran, Chicken, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 34.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 19.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 3.00%
Ash (maximum) 7.00%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50%
Zinc (minimum) 210 mg/kg
Taurine (minimum) 0.16%
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 15 mg/kg

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

Animal feeding tests using AAFCO¹ procedures substantiate that NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] MAXÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] CAT Adult Salmon Flavor provides complete and balanced nutrition for adult cat maintenance.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavors, Salmon Meal, Salmon Protein Concentrate, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 30.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 15.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 4.00%
Ash (maximum) 6.75%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 4.00%
Magnesium (maximum) 0.088%
Zinc (minimum) 250 mg/kg
Taurine (minimum) 0.16%
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 18 mg/kg
L-Carnitine (minimum)* 50 mg/kg

The Salmon has the same first 3 Ingredients. Second ingredient is corn gluten meal. This isn't good? I'm sorry I don't understand exactly what to look for.Next I listed the ingredients for the canned cat food I am using.

Natural Life Lamaderm Cat Formula
Lamaderm Feline is made with the finest ingredients, including lamb meal made from 100% New Zealand grown lambs, ground whole brown rice and oatmeal. Natural Life never uses any by-products, artificial preservatives or colors.

Ingredients:
LAMB, LAMB BROTH, LAMB LIVER, KIDNEY, GROUND BROWN RICE, PEAS, CARROTS, LECITHIN, CALCIUM CARBONATE, FLAXSEED MEAL, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, GUAR GUM, CRANBERRY MEAL, MINERALS (IRON AMINO ACID CHELATE, ZINC AMINO ACID CHELATE, COBALT AMINO ACID CHELATE, COPPER AMINO ACID CHELATE, MANGANESE AMINO ACID CHELATE, SODIUM SELENITE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E, A, D3, B12 SUPPLEMENTS, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, NIACIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TAURINE, CARRAGEENAN.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Moisture (max) 78
Crude Protein (min) 10
Crude Fat (min) 5
Ash (max) 1.9
Crude Fiber (max) 0.5
Taurine (min) 0.05
Magnesium (max) 0.03

I can not feed only wet food. I need to find a good quality food that does not cost a fortune. Any chance anyone knows of a good brand that is sold at petsmart that would most likely not cause food allergies?
From this my eliminate list would be the following:
chicken
rice
corn
peas
lamb
salmon

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What do you have a sample of, sharky???? I am thinking I need to switch my foster boys to a LID b/c of Archie... you know THAT story and I have a puker, too. He's a "scarf n barf" but seems to do better when I 1) control his intake of wet food and 2) feed a sensitive formulation dry.

Would it do any good to beg the food mfgs for samples or coupons?

BTW - Arch is back on metronidizole. I tasted a teeny-tiny little drop of it! Oohhhh...maaaan!!!
Soooo horrible!!! I am sensitive to bitter things and this was just off the charts for me! Poor baby!! Had to grab a Jolly Rancher and pop it in my mouth! Ugh. I fee like a terrible meanie for making him take this.. I draw up the prescribed amount and then draw in tuna/sardine juice and shake the syringe... but you can still taste the med. Blech!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
salmon and pea dry ... I often use samples as treats

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

salmon and pea dry ... I often use samples as treats
I wrote to Natural Balance and told them about Archie and Tex ( puker boy). Told them the story - rescued cats, tight on funds, suspected IBD, would like to try NB, vet is ok w/it.... see if they like it, etc before investing in a big bag, et.....

And they wrote back and said they would send me samples. That's pretty cool. They wrote back the same day!

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ended up going with a Dry grain free food called "before B.G. Grain". $26.00 for an 11 pound bag. It was the most affordable. Around here only the BG, Innova Evo, and Instinct is available. EVO was sold in very small bags only. Trying to avoid shipping costs.

Chicken Meal is in all 3 of those foods available.

Buffalo Dry for the dogs and Salmon Dry for the cats. Dogs love it. Cats don't. I started mixing it with the old food last thurs. The cats are eating much less. I don't like the very small pellet form the food has either. Not sure this is going to going to work out. I wont be out of the old food for a week or two. It will take several weeks to see if this will make a difference with what looks like allergies in my Spyro and Streek. My Gizmo, Tinker Bell, and Streek have lost weight already the last 7 months from my guess is oral ringworm treatment and the loss of two family members. They can't afford to lose any more weight. They will go back to the Vets ASAP. Working on getting the money up.

The canned food that was available is EVO Venison for the cats. Instinct Lamb for the dogs. They all love it.

Any opinions on BG or the other above foods?

BG Dry Salmon:

OUR INGREDIENTS
Salmon Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E), Sweet Potato Dehydrated, Dried Egg, Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

BG Dry Buffalo:

OUR INGREDIENTS
Buffalo Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Canola Oil, Sweet Potato Dehydrated, (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Yeast Culture, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Venison Broth, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Natural Venison Flavor, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Rosemary Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I ended up going with a Dry grain free food called "before B.G. Grain". $26.00 for an 11 pound bag. It was the most affordable. Around here only the BG, Innova Evo, and Instinct is available. EVO was sold in very small bags only. Trying to avoid shipping costs.

Buffalo Dry for the dogs and Salmon Dry for the cats. Dogs love it. Cats don't. I started mixing it with the old food last thurs. The cats are eating much less. I don't like the very small pellet form the food has either. Not sure this is going to going to work out. I wont be out of the old food for a week or two. It will take several weeks to see if this will make a difference with what looks like allergies in my Spyro and Streek. My Gizmo, Tinker Bell, and Streek have lost weight already the last 7 months from my guess is oral ringworm treatment and the loss of two family members. They can't afford to lose any more weight. They will go back to the Vets ASAP. Working on getting the money up.

The canned food that was available is EVO Venison for the cats. Instinct Lamb for the dogs. They all love it.

OUR INGREDIENTS
Salmon Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E), Sweet Potato Dehydrated, Dried Egg, Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

OUR INGREDIENTS
Buffalo Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Canola Oil, Sweet Potato Dehydrated, (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Yeast Culture, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Venison Broth, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Natural Venison Flavor, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Rosemary Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid
The ingredients you listed, which is the dry and what brand? and which is the canned?

Just want to mention that if the new food is not working out and you still have your receipt you should be able to return the unused portion (not opened cans obviously).

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I Added the name of the food w/ the ingredient listing. I didn't list the can ingredients because the pets get only a few teaspoons a day of wet. The cat dry food is what I'm not sure if they will eat enough of. I payed over $50.00 for 2 bags of dry food. I will not be able to take those back I'm sure. I opened both bags. The only pet store in town that carries the food is not so friendly about returns of any kind.

BG Dry Salmon:

OUR INGREDIENTS

BG Dry Buffalo:

OUR INGREDIENTS