Corn Gluten Meal

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that corn gluten meal can be useful in UTI prevention. Is this true? I noticed Authority has this ingredient as well as other good ingredients. If so, how much would be recommended, say when mixing in a grain free food?
Thanks

ps. we have switched over to Wellness Core!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it is a great aid to balence various minerals for better UTI health in a DRY food that is poultry based

You will not be able to get uti friendly via the percents by mixing with core but a 50/50 mix may help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your feedback! I'll do 50/50

Should I be concerned with UTI and a 7 month old kitten? How common are UTIs. At what age do they arise? I'm new to kitty health...

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've seen UTIs in 8 week old kittens & 18 year old cats.
Would a grain-free food or something high in protein like Core contribute to UTI?
What causes UTI?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've seen UTIs in 8 week old kittens & 18 year old cats.
here too ....

I have two boys who came from WHitecat lover with issues at just over a yr and my RB Kandie did not have issues till age 17...

all ages can get them... Prior to mixing please run it by your vet ... we can give IMHO stuff and experience but your vet is the best one to say yes or no based on % s

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice!
One last question...
Once your kitty gets a UTI is it more common to see them reappear? Or is it possible to fix the problem and say goodbye when you figure the cause?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I would do the Core only +wet...
If he has an UTI, you will know. IMO he is a healthy, young kitten, and I wouldn't really worry about that right now. Feed him as much wet as you can, preferably invest in a water fountain, and you are all set.
You will know if it happens...
Enjoy your kitten..... there are so many "ifs" to worry about.... they can drive you crazy....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

Thank you for your advice!
One last question...
Once your kitty gets a UTI is it more common to see them reappear? Or is it possible to fix the problem and say goodbye when you figure the cause?
More likely to reappear for most, kinda like humans ... that is why a food like Core IS NOT recommended ... as it has mineral levels FAR FAR too high, your vet likely will explain it better... The food is ultra important cause the more prone and the more numerous the infections the more likely a blockage is to occur in a male cat ...

WET is far better if you can get them to eat it -

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

IMO I would do the Core only +wet...
If he has an UTI, you will know. IMO he is a healthy, young kitten, and I wouldn't really worry about that right now. Feed him as much wet as you can, preferably invest in a water fountain, and you are all set.
You will know if it happens...
Enjoy your kitten..... there are so many "ifs" to worry about.... they can drive you crazy....
So true! Thank you as well. I tried your ice cube holder idea for Neko's left over wet food, so far so good. Perfect amounts for the way she eats.
Of course she sniffs at the wet food and walks away. I dab my finger in it, let her taste it, then she returns to eat it. Silly kitty

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Corn Gluten meal is the dried residue from after they take out the startch and the germ (the most nutricious part of the plant in this case). Corn Gluten meal is the by-product from the manufactering of corn startch, corn syrup, or by the enzymic treatment of the endosperm (food for the growing plant).
Corn Gluten meal is high in nitrogen and makes a great weed killer. It helps by boosting the protien count on the bag of food. There is no facts that prove that cats can digest vegetable protien properly. It is also corn meaning that it is most likely genetically modified and contains alfatoxins. Alfatoxins are an extremelly dangorous toxin that is produced through mold or fungus; their ingestion is linked to liver damage, immune deficiency's, and other serious health problems. Heat processing or freezing won't control the alfatoxins, and unfortunatly, pet food manufacterers don't have to test for it.
This was also on of the ingrediants in pet food that sparked the current pet food recall, and recent reports show that this contaminated corn gluten meal has killed many furry family members.
-Natural Nutrition for CATS by Kymythy R. Schultze, C.N., C.N.C.

Corn Gluten Meal is also used as an organic weed killer...why would you want to feed your cats something like that?

For preventing UTI's try to feed as much wet food as you can. It really helps.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an obligate carnivore, there's nothing in corn gluten meal that's going to be good for a cat.

Does it mitigate vomiting or other digestive upset symptoms in cats fed processed carb-laden kibble diets? Maybe so, but that only addresses the digestive results of feeding a species-inappropriate diet, it doesn't address the nutritional requirements of carnivores.

My recommendation - feed your kitty grain-free canned food (raw would be even better, but I know that's difficult for many) and toss the kibble.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My recommendation is to talk to your vet regarding food for your pet, especially if he or she is prone to UTI's, before changing diets - you and your vet will no doubt come up with a cycle of urine tests, etc, to monitor your pet's specific condition and reaction to food.

You can get a lot of opinions on the internet, but, I beg you, talk with your vet before you try anything, and in all circumstances, keep your vet totally in the loop if you do change anything. There's a reason prescription foods, etc., are designed the way they are - and some of those won't seem obvious, or even reasonable, to the lay person.

Any good vet will be happy to discuss your questions with you, but only your vet, and you, can know your pet's medical condition.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

My recommendation is to talk to your vet regarding food for your pet, especially if he or she is prone to UTI's, before changing diets - you and your vet will no doubt come up with a cycle of urine tests, etc, to monitor your pet's specific condition and reaction to food.

You can get a lot of opinions on the internet, but, I beg you, talk with your vet before you try anything, and in all circumstances, keep your vet totally in the loop if you do change anything. There's a reason prescription foods, etc., are designed the way they are - and some of those won't seem obvious, or even reasonable, to the lay person.

Any good vet will be happy to discuss your questions with you, but only your vet, and you, can know your pet's medical condition.
He is a healthy kitten.... not prone as far as she knows, in my understanding - she is just researching on how to give him a good start in life

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point! I think I'm just a little sensitive re even the phrase UTI as my boy had some pee-ing issues over Labor Day and the urine sample showed struvite crystals. I've got to admit I doubt I buy Hills CD if I were just rambling through the store reading labels - and was glad my vet spent quite a bit of time with me talking about diet, etc.

But between my own internist drumming it into my head that health care folks need to know everything you're taking, no matter how innocuous or 'healthy', or 'natural' you think it is, and my vet making the same point for my cats, I'm way overboard in asking folks to please keep their health care people totally in the loop, even for a young, healthy kitten.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Good point! I think I'm just a little sensitive re even the phrase UTI as my boy had some pee-ing issues over Labor Day and the urine sample showed struvite crystals. I've got to admit I doubt I buy Hills CD if I were just rambling through the store reading labels - and was glad my vet spent quite a bit of time with me talking about diet, etc.

But between my own internist drumming it into my head that health care folks need to know everything you're taking, no matter how innocuous or 'healthy', or 'natural' you think it is, and my vet making the same point for my cats, I'm way overboard in asking folks to please keep their health care people totally in the loop, even for a young, healthy kitten.
Yep! Better this way, so when God forbid, something happens, The vet already has a history to go from... Agree completely...

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

He is a healthy kitten.... not prone as far as she knows, in my understanding - she is just researching on how to give him a good start in life
Yes, not prone, I was just worrying about her future.
I purchased the cans of Authority and a couple of other types as well
Cans: Authority, Nature's Balance, Nutro Max. I'm taking your advice on the 100% Wellness + wet can. Today she started eating her wet food without me having to entice her. I think she's getting use to it
Hopefully we can increase her wet food intake and decrease dry. She'll always have dry kibble available however since I'm at school and work alot.
Thanks again everyone for all your information!