Little gray cat found me in the local supermarket parking lot (Marysville, OH)

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a day... After all the craziness that happened the earlier in the day, I was heading back to my car after some late night grocery shopping. I noticed two little eyes under my car and some soft mewling. There were very few other cars around and if it was morning time with all the hustle and bustle I would've completely overlooked her.

Turns out a little cat found some warmth underneath my car. She's quite friendly and trusting, I didn't even need to coax her and she was all
me. Definitely very unferal-like cat. There was an apartment complex just behind the supermarket, so I thought she might belong to someone there. I asked around for a bit and no one seemed to know who the cat belonged to, so I ended up bringing her home. I was worried she'd go bonkers in the car and I didn't have a carrier with me, but luckily it was a short drive and she seemed to calm down on my lap for most of the trip so it was pretty uneventful.

I'm going to take her to the local shelter and see if she's chipped tomorrow morning. Hopefully an owner will turn up, my own cat isn't too fond of other cats so it'd be kind of rough to keep her.

She's currently chilling out in one of my bathrooms. She seems somewhat stressed out so I'm gonna leave her alone for the night.

If anyone in Marysville, Ohio is missing a small gray cat hit me up.

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you were paying attention, Lemur6! Thank you for taking in the little thing! I hope everything works out in the end for both of you.

I found a cat on a bridge a few summers ago. It was early, but traffic was picking up and she was sitting under the railing with the Spokane River flowing beneath her. I pulled over and luckily she let me put her in my car. Fortunately I had the day off from work and made some flyers with my digital camera and computer. I posted her picture, the date, time, and place I found her, and my contact information. I stuck the flyers up on signposts all around the area I found her, as well as an RV park just down the road. Much to my happiness, her owner found the flyer in the RV park office the next day. She had gotten out of their RV and they didn't realize it until 24 hours later. I was so happy that she was reunited with her family.

Maybe flyers at the grocery store and intersections around that area would help? It's possible that she, too, snuck out of the house...

But in the meantime, thank you for taking the little thing in. That is very good of you!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky girl!!!
Can you keep her? How many cats do you have? It sounds like you only have one....... it might be great to add another to your family!!
I know you say your cat is not fond of other cats, but without proper introduction, rarely any cat is fond of other cat... It is just their nature... But with time they can and often become best of friends!
So... I bet if you just introduce them properly, you might actually be giving both of them a wonderful gift!
And for you too, it is great fun!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by PawsAndConsider

Maybe flyers at the grocery store and intersections around that area would help? It's possible that she, too, snuck out of the house...
Yes, it is the thing to do. Seek after the owner if she got lost. But prepare also she got dumped.
Not all dumpers are evil villains and dump them in wilderness preferably well closed in a box. Some dump them where they can be found and saved...

And if you dont find an owner = dumped, consider perhaps to adopt her yourself, like CarolinaLima suggests.

Tx a lot,
and Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no luck with the chip at the humane society. Speaking of which they were up to their gills in cats, so they were very glad I didn't leave her with them.

She seems quite timid. She was curled up behind my toilet this morning and didn't say a peep all night. It took her a few minutes to recognize me, but once she warmed up she was quite friendly again. She's definitely a lap cat, albeit a somewhat high strung one. She absolutely abhors the carrier, took me a good 10 minutes to coax her to get in (bad experiences maybe?). My cat's none the wiser when it comes to the carrier, I think he enjoys car rides. Interestingly, I have yet to get scratched or bit by her, she's got quite a healthy set of claws and they're quite sharp. Doesn't seem to mind when I touch her paws, so maybe I can clip her daggers off if I can get her relaxed enough.

Ooh, flyers. Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to borrow a camera from a friend, mine's broke. I dunno, I'll keep an open mind for now. I can't imagine who'd dump such a sweet cat, but if I can't find an owner I'll definitely keep her. I'll give it another week and then it's going to be time for a vet visit.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her actions sound like she might have been dumped off
To her, the carrier is now associated with a "final ride". Bless you for rescuing her in her hour of dire need - I shudder to think what her fate would be if you hadn't come along - you are truly an angel

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

but if I can't find an owner I'll definitely keep her. I'll give it another week and then it's going to be time for a vet visit.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Her actions sound like she might have been dumped off
To her, the carrier is now associated with a "final ride". Bless you for rescuing her in her hour of dire need - I shudder to think what her fate would be if you hadn't come along - you are truly an angel
Hi,

there's really no way to tell- it's just as likely that she was sick recently and associates the carrier with visits to the vets or that she generally doesn't like being confined in a tight carrier.

Don't jump the gun on this one

regards,

christine

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update on the little gray one.

Almost a month and no takers... I'm also noticing signs that she may have been out and about for a while. She's leaving little hairy puddles here and there (puke?), and she's scooting on the carpet. She's also not too fond of the litter box (maybe she's protesting for being cooped up in the spare room). Vet said she was clean so I'm wondering what's making her act up. She's going back again tomorrow.

The good news though is that when I did finally get around to a face to face intro with my cat it seemed pretty smooth. They basically just ignored each other. When my cat gets a little too close there's some hissing from the gray one but nothing major.

She's very clingy. I'm gonna name her Klingon if she keeps latching onto me like she does.

The bad thing is she started doing these funny things (like scooting) after I introduced them so if she has pinworms my cat probably has them too.

Anyway, here's a few pics I managed to snap while she was sitting still:

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaahhhh! Another one found me. This time at my house. Even more eerie is that this one looks like the one I found in the parking lot but he's definitely an unfixed male. Very friendly and bone thin.

I'm out of rooms, best I could do for him was to let him chill out in the garage and offer him some food which he promptly wolfed down. Humane society probably wont take him... what to do...

I think someone had a batch of kittens and decided to sprinkle them around town...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scooting is often a sign of a problem with anal glands - the vet can check.

As for the intact male, have you searched for low-cost neuter services in your area? The Humane Society may do it - or know of free or inexpensive service. Even if HS can't take him, perhaps feed him at least until you can get him neutered. ...and maybe put up fliers, to see if you can find a home for him. :hearrt3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Scooting is often a sign of a problem with anal glands - the vet can check.

As for the intact male, have you searched for low-cost neuter services in your area? The Humane Society may do it - or know of free or inexpensive service. Even if HS can't take him, perhaps feed him at least until you can get him neutered. ...and maybe put up fliers, to see if you can find a home for him. :hearrt3:
That is what I was going to say - sounds like she has a problem... If she is peeing outside of the boox (I was not clear on that from your post, or if it was only poop), ask your vet for an urinalysis, to see if she has an UTI.

By the way, she is SUCH a BEAUTY! WOW!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for possible impacted anal glands. And if she is barfing up lots of fur her gut may not be working properly.. and it may be full of fur.

How is her poop?

When I took in foster boy Casper... he was not pooping regularly... and he was shedding like the dickens!! Barfed up hair balls... Poo maybe every 3-4 days... dry, hard.. .and sometimes so full of fur it was grey and hairy!

I put him on a regimen of watered down wet food that also had either a touch of mineral oil, Petromalt and/or a half tsp of canned cooked pumpkin in it. 2x day. It took about 4-6 weeks for his gut to clean itself out... I still give him that pumpkin and watered down food b/c I suspect he has a slow gut AND he doesn't drink that much water. Now his poo is normal and he eliminates just about every day. I would say all the way around he is a much happier boy.

I also found that he LOOVED being combed and brushed so that helps.

I would consult with your vet about her puke and poop. And the scooting.

Sorry another one found you. But he's a lucky boy!!