introducing a new cat to an existing cat

kmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im looking for some help. sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
our family has had a male black cat we got as a kitten for about 2 1/2 years. just today at lunch my dad brought home a new cat. im not sure how old it is, but it was born as a wild cat at the lumber yard my dad works at. he was able to get the trust of this cat and figured it would be a good idea to bring it home. my current cat has been very angry and anytime it has been close to this new cat it will hiss and snarl. im sure this is normal, but is there anything that can be done to help them get along?
since this cat has always been an outside cat living at the lumber yard it has never been to any vet, so im guessing it would be a good idea to take this new cat to the vet for whatever is needed.
is there any idea of how long it would take to get the 2 cats to get along? im sure my dad isnt going to want to take the new cat to the vet if these 2 cats arnt going to get along and he might have to end up taking it back to the lumber yard.
thanx for any help.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, its probably not a good idea to have the two cats in the same room until the new cat can be seen by the vet. He may have germs your inside cat hasn't met yet and vice versa. Don't want two sick cats!

After a vet check, the introducions should go as slowly as possible, with the cats in their own territories (separate rooms). Your current cat sees the new cat as an invader and the new cat is in strange terrotory and probably a little scared.

Even if the new cat doesn't get along with you cat, after the proper introductions, he really needs to see a vet if dad puts him back outside. Its a cruel world out there and the healthier he is, the better his chances. Neutering is especially importance, so he doesn't fight with other males.

You need to give it time and have a lot of patience. But a quick trip to the vet is your best first step.

Thank you for caring about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i didnt know how old this new cat was, but its only 4 months old. were not even sure if its male or female. i told my dad he should check because the cat trusts him more.
i told my dad he should take the new cat to vet as soon as he can, but he said he likely wont be able to until next saturday because he works all week. i could try to convince him to take it one night.

the cat we currently have does go outside, but just not during the night.

right now both cats have free roam of the house during the day. the new one finds different hiding places for now. when the current cat sees the new one within maybe 10 feet he just snarls and then goes in a different direction.
at night the new cat we put into one spare room with the door closed while our current cat stays in my room with the door closed.
we currently have one little box, but should we get another one so they each have their own little box?

catsincrisis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
It is great that you are helping this poor kitty. I think it is a good sign that they avoid each other rather than looking for a fight. From what I have read that would show that they will maybe come to tolerate each other by finding their own spaces. So probably not best friends but toleration for cats is pretty good. They definitely each need their own litter box. The young cat may not feel comfortable going in what belongs to the resident cat and may be desperate enough to go somewhere else. I would give the new cat space away from the other cat's area to eat and litter for awhile, especially until it has a health check and vaccinations
It's hard work, but you are doing a nice thing!
Sandy

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there...
You should really separate these cats if all possible... so you have a bathroom, or a bedroom that you can keep the new cat in until he sees the vet?
For different reasons -
1- to prevent diseases... this new cat can have a serious disease, putting the life of your resident cat in risk - you do not want that...
2- for a proper introduction... If you want these cats to get along, you've got to introduce them properly, otherwise they will not get along and back he goes to the lumber yard... Is there a room that he can be confined for the first week, or so?

Here is some material to read to help you to introduce them properly:

http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/49/Id-like-you-to-Meet...-Introducing-Cats.html
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/49/Id-like-you-to-Meet...-Introducing-Cats/2.html

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
we currently have one little box, but should we get another one so they each have their own little box?

Yes, you definitely need another box. If the cats eventually become buddies, they might share the boxes but for now, it's important they are kept as separate as possible. No one wants to alarm you but you really don't know where the other cat has been and something as simple as a cold can be very harmful to cats. No sense in having to take them both to the vets!

You're doing a good job - and dad too!

kmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my dad isnt able to take the new cat to the vets until Saturday.
i separated their litter boxes. i also separated their food dishes and when they eat the doors are shut so they can not interact with each other.
the new cat is a boy. it is only 4 months old so i guess it would still be considered a kitten?
they dont spend much time together. at night the new cat is in a spare room and the current cat stays with me in my room. in the early morning the new cat gets to roam around the house until my parents go to work then he spends the day in the spare room while the current cat gets roam of the house. late afternoon/before dinner when my parents get home the current cat is outside while the new cat gets roam of the house. its usually after dinner 6-7 when the current cat comes in, and thats when things have been a bit difficult so far. my dad likes to have the new cat around at that time and i dont think its fair just to keep the current cat in my room all that time.
i also found out from my dad this one kitten he brought home was one of a few they had at the lumber yard and apparently it was the boss of the other kittens there. im hoping that doesnt become a problem between the two of them.
i could keep them as separated as possible until Saturday when the new one goes to the vet. i assume that would be the best? if the new cat is going to continue to be bossy/aggressive he might not be able to be kept around and might have to go back to the lumber yard and possibly even switched with one of the other ones. problem there is i know my dad isnt going to want to pay for everything at the vets with the new cat and then not be able to keep that cat around, so maybe this week they should get to spend some time together to see if they can start to get along before a vet visit to decide if this new kitten will be kept around?
i read somewhere before one way to discipline a cat for doing something wrong is to spray them with a water bottle? would that be something to do when they snarl/hiss at each other? or if one or both of them act aggressively?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KMac

i could keep them as separated as possible until Saturday when the new one goes to the vet. i assume that would be the best?

problem there is i know my dad isnt going to want to pay for everything at the vets with the new cat and then not be able to keep that cat around, so maybe this week they should get to spend some time together to see if they can start to get along before a vet visit to decide if this new kitten will be kept around?

i read somewhere before one way to discipline a cat for doing something wrong is to spray them with a water bottle? would that be something to do when they snarl/hiss at each other? or if one or both of them act aggressively?
Hi, it's great that your dad wanted to help this kitten.

carolinalima gave you some very helpful links. Have you had a chance to read them? They tell how to introduce cats so that they will have a better chance to get along.

What everyone is trying to express is that you NEED to keep them separated UNTIL a vet has checked out the new kitten. If the new kitten is a carrier of some disease or illness, then YOUR CAT may get sick. Separating them is for their HEALTH.

Spraying them with water when they hiss could likely cause them to dislike each other by relating the other cat to getting sprayed with water. It may make them afraid of the person doing the spraying, too.

If there are more kittens at the lumber yard, can you contact your local shelter and see if there is anyone that might rescue them and at least have them spayed or neutered? At 4 to 6 months old the females can go into heat and mate with their brothers.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

problem there is i know my dad isnt going to want to pay for everything at the vets with the new cat and then not be able to keep that cat around, so maybe this week they should get to spend some time together to see if they can start to get along before a vet visit to decide if this new kitten will be kept around?
The problem is: if you do not separate them now, and do not introduce them properly, chances are, they will not get along in the future. So, there is no rushing cats into spending time together to get along faster... Cats don't work this way... by doing that you might ruin the chances of them to have a good relationship for the rest of their lives.
Not only that, but you are also putting the life of your resident cat in risk. Please, separate them completely, until your father takes the new cat to the vet, and follow the proper introduction instructions - this way your father does not waste his hard earned money, and you do not risk the life of your resident cat...
Please do not do this - This will only make your cat hate you, hate one another, and there is the risk of injuring your cat if you spray water into his ear...

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
to the cat that was already there, something smells different, and who is this new kittiy, take some vanilla extract dab alittle on both their backs just at the tail, now they will smell the same to each other, thats the first thing thats important, doing that you've taken care of that problem and it breaks the ice to , its normal that the resident cat get mad, their jelous, trick is to do positive stuff with them both at the same time, playing, eating and attention time, so they accoicate each other with positive things , gotta give little extra attention to resident cat so he knows he is not being replaced or that you dont love him any less , it takes alittle time be paitent dont give up, they will work out the details of pecking order themselfs, my 5 always get upset at new arrivals, but they see I love them then they give in and end up care givvers to the new ones, start off having 2 litter boxes to, later you can go back to 1 , make sure that both see you play with both of them and pet both of them so they understand that you love them both, so first thing make them smell alike with the vanilla extract, do not give up in a week or so maybe a coupe of days they will work it all out between them

im looking for some help. sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
our family has had a male black cat we got as a kitten for about 2 1/2 years. just today at lunch my dad brought home a new cat. im not sure how old it is, but it was born as a wild cat at the lumber yard my dad works at. he was able to get the trust of this cat and figured it would be a good idea to bring it home. my current cat has been very angry and anytime it has been close to this new cat it will hiss and snarl. im sure this is normal, but is there anything that can be done to help them get along?
since this cat has always been an outside cat living at the lumber yard it has never been to any vet, so im guessing it would be a good idea to take this new cat to the vet for whatever is needed.
is there any idea of how long it would take to get the 2 cats to get along? im sure my dad isnt going to want to take the new cat to the vet if these 2 cats arnt going to get along and he might have to end up taking it back to the lumber yard.
thanx for any help.

kmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my dad took the new cat to the vet on Saturday, and everything came out good. hes healthy and no fleas.
the vet also gave us this spray called feliway. the box says its for..
-to stop or prevent urinary marking by the cat.
-to stop vertical scratching by the cat.
-to comfort the cat in an unknown or stressful environment.
the vet said to check the website on how to use it, but the website doest really give alot of information. does anyone know where more specifically i spray it? should i spray some in each room of the house since they both have access to the entire house? i havnt noticed either of the cats uninating anywhere other than their own litter box.
the times both cats have been around in the house they have not gotten in a fight that i have seen. they mostly just follow each other, or at other times when they see each other they will go in another dirrection. they have both done that at different times. the times they do get really close its just hissing and snarling, but i havnt noticed any actual swiping at one another. there have been times where they have chased each other under a bed, but i never heard any fighting then either. this would be good news right?

there are other cats outside that i know our current cat has been in contact with, but i dont think they have ever been fighting. our current cat used follow the one around some and then after time they used to lay fairly close to each other on the side of the road ..so maybe that would be good news, but then again that is outside and not in our current cats territory.

we still havnt even came up with a name for the new cat, but im picky and want something i like.