TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Afghanistan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Afghanistan

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
The Bush Administration DID leave a plan for Afghanistan

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...7/120ekabc.asp

Awesome article. I get REALLY bad vibes from Rahm Emanuel.
post #2 of 18
Myself, I've never had any success with the "I thought of it first" ploy. But then, I haven't tried using it since I was about 7 years old.
post #3 of 18
The problem is that they thought of it first...and wrote it down. Then, the Obama transition team asked them not to act on it. At least, that's their claim.

If someone produces a copy of the report and any real evidence that that is correct, then I'd say they have right to complain.

I feel sorry for the President, though. He praised Afghanistan as "the good war," and now he is faced with either escalating it, abandoning it, or doing pretty much what the previous administration was, which was to do not too much of anything.
post #4 of 18
"Claim" would appear to be the operative word. I have to hand it to them though. To spend 8 years classifying almost everything for "national security", and then accusing the next administration of hiding something if they do not de-classify it...that is some seriously good Professor Moriarty type planning.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
I notice the Obama administration is not denying the fact that the Bush administration did leave them a plan. And don't forget this statement from the PRESENT Secretary of Defense DENYING what Gibbs said.

Quote:
I couldn't reach Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, but I did talk to a senior defense official who serves with him. This person stressed that Gates has gone to great lengths to avoid being dragged into political fights between administrations. Nonetheless, he offered a strong rebuke to the present White House political team.

"There was no request on anyone's desk for eight months," said the defense official. "There was not a request that went to the White House because we didn't have forces to commit. So on the facts, they're wrong."
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I notice the Obama administration is not denying the fact that the Bush administration did leave them a plan. And don't forget this statement from the PRESENT Secretary of Defense DENYING what Gibbs said.
This statement from WHO, you say?

Quote:
I couldn't reach Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, but I did talk to a senior defense official who serves with him. This person stressed that Gates has gone to great lengths to avoid being dragged into political fights between administrations. Nonetheless, he offered a strong rebuke to the present White House political team.

"There was no request on anyone's desk for eight months," said the defense official. "There was not a request that went to the White House because we didn't have forces to commit. So on the facts, they're wrong."
Quote:
but I did talk to a senior defense official
By the name of? Logistics officer? Topographer? Janitor? One of those "figments" that hang around blogger's desks?
post #7 of 18
If the previous administration had a plan for Afganistan, why did they muck around starting a war in Iraq (which had nothing at all to do with 911) instead of staying the course in Afganistan?

I think we're in a mess over there. I doubt there's any way to "win" that one anymore than we could ever "win" in Iraq.
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Here I thought anonymous statements by anonymous goverment officials were commonly accepted as true. How silly of me.

And the Obama administration STILL has not denied the fact that the Bush administration did leave them with a plan.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Here I thought anonymous statements by anonymous goverment officials were commonly accepted as true. How silly of me.

And the Obama administration STILL has not denied the fact that the Bush administration did leave them with a plan.
Really? How odd you would think that. Every time word would leak fromt the White House concerning the Bush administration, not only was it dismissed as completely unbelieveable, but the anonymous sources were labeled as "cowards" for not revealing themselves.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ahhhh yes, those Bush leaks were readily believed by many here I remember. You will pardon me for thinking that, since the Bush leaks were believed Obama leaks would be believed also.

I'm sure this won't be the end of this subject, time will tell.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Ahhhh yes, those Bush leaks were readily believed by many here I remember. You will pardon me for thinking that, since the Bush leaks were believed Obama leaks would be believed also.

I'm sure this won't be the end of this subject, time will tell.
Actually, I'm still waiting for proof on any of them. But just like this one, they pretty much amount to nothing.
post #12 of 18
I didn't see a "Bush leak" here. I saw that a former official made a statement which I presume he can back up, and I saw a current official denying what another current official spokesman tried to put out to the press.

But, as one wag put it, the ship of state is the only ship that leaks from the top, rather than the bottom.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I didn't see a "Bush leak" here. I saw that a former official made a statement which I presume he can back up, and I saw a current official denying what another current official spokesman tried to put out to the press.

But, as one wag put it, the ship of state is the only ship that leaks from the top, rather than the bottom.
Which "denying current official?" That seems to be the question.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Quote:
14 Americans killed in 2 Afghan helicopter crashes
Quote:
The deaths came as President Barack Obama prepared to meet his national security team for a SIXTH full-scale conference on the future of the troubled war.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Which "denying current official?" That seems to be the question.
Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates. Denying what Gibbs was tellling the press.

Can I get any more specific for you?
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates. Denying what Gibbs was tellling the press.

Can I get any more specific for you?
But the interviewer specifically stated that he was never able to contact Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates. Instead, he claimed that he talked to a "somebody".
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091027/...as_afghanistan

Quote:
October deadliest month for US in Afghan war
Quote:
KABUL – Roadside bombs — the biggest killer of U.S. soldiers — claimed eight more American lives Tuesday, driving the U.S. death toll to a record level for the third time in four months as President Barack Obama nears a decision on a new strategy for the troubled war.
And STILL Barack dithers. Is there a magic number of our boys that have to die before they get thelp?

John McCain would have sent them help.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091027/...as_afghanistan





And STILL Barack dithers. Is there a magic number of our boys that have to die before they get thelp?

John McCain would have sent them help.
Help to do what?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Afghanistan