TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › How many sneezes is bad sneezes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many sneezes is bad sneezes?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Miku and I are going to the vet on Monday, but dangit, I want some advice now

She sneezes a bit more than any other cat I've known. She sneezes once, maybe twice a day. She seems in perfect health otherwise - Gaining weight, frolicking - She's really holding her own for a little gal that was underweight and meek for the first week.

She had some eyeboogers, but a week and a half ago, the vet gave us some Erythromiacin goo, and they've since cleared up. The vet wasn't too concerned about her sneezing then.

There are two things I'm thinking: Either she's got the actual factual sniffles, or she sticks her nose in un-nose-friendly places and it makes her sneeze.

Any thoughts? I've dealt with some hardcore kitty illnesses in my time, but never a cold, so I'm kinda clueless here.
post #2 of 16
It doesn't sound like she's got a cold or anything like that. Maybe she's got airborne allergies. There's not a day that goes by that my Hannah doesn't sneeze at least once or have the sniffles and she's fine. Start worrying when she stops eating or eats less than normal, starts sleeping more, and starts having nasal discharge that's either green or yellow.
post #3 of 16
Hercules sneezes sometimes but normally its when he sticks his nose near something fluffy or near the pepper shaker! Sometimes he will sneeze when he gets one of his own hairs tickling his nose..lol..But its only maybe 2 times a day very seldom.
post #4 of 16
If it's any help, with all the wet weather, there are spores and stuff floating around that can cause sneezing in sensitive cats - Streak ended up about sneezing himself into orbit after a nice roll in the alfalfa I let go to seed, so something in the ground or on the dead plants got him going. The house cats sometimes get into places I cannot reach and come out sneezing too. If there isn't any discharge but clear, it is most likely some irritant...dust, dust bunnies, a house plant with fungus gnats or something else unfriendly to kitty noses.
post #5 of 16
If there is any green or yellow boogers, watery eyes, open mouth breathing, refusal to eat (or decrease in food intake) your kitty most likely has a cold (URI).

If non of the symtom above are displayed I would think allergies or or she is just sticking her head in places that may have dust or other particles that would irritate her nose, ergo causing the sneezing.
post #6 of 16
Hi there - since you are going to the vet tomorrow, please discuss this with him/her:

In reading this thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...highlight=miku
and since this watery eyes, and sneezing are kind of going on at the same time, and your cat came I am assuming from a shelter (?), I suspect he has an URI, and might have Herpes - DON'T FREAK OUT!!
Get the vet to test him for Herpes, and discuss with him the use of L-Lysine - it is an AWESOME supplement and very simple way to keep your kitty healthy - my Bugsy has it, and I mix it to everybody's water, and into his food... It's cheap, powerful, and great for all kitties immune system.
Talk to your vet tomorrow, and get him to test your kitty for herpes.

Here is where I get my L-Lysine from (Use this discount code at check out VES097to save $5.00 off your first purchase (on top of prices 30-40% below retail)
If you like to shop at Amazon, here is another option, but it will end up being more expensive due to shipping and all...
The reason why I like this powder is because one - it costs $10-13 and it lasts over 1 year per cat (lasts less for me, as I put it into their water fountains, so quite a bit goes to "waste" - I guess it lasts 6- months for 3 cats, 2 water fountains, but still!), but it is also very versatile - you can add it to the water, or wet food.
A member here told me about it, I don't remember who...
Anyways, good luck tomorrow!
ETA:
I forgot:
Your vet might have this one tomorrow - http://www.amazon.com/Enisyl-F-Oral-...ef=pd_sim_hg_4 I would get it in the meantime... It is very good too - there are many members here who use it - I have used it myself in the past; just changed it due to budget and because I wanted to add it to the water, and this wa not an option with this paste...
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
First off, I think Miku reads this forum too. She hasn't been sneezing nearly as much as she was ever since I posted this, but she's still sneezed twice since I came home around dinnertime. Go figure, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
Hi there - since you are going to the vet tomorrow, please discuss this with him/her:

In reading this thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...highlight=miku
and since this watery eyes, and sneezing are kind of going on at the same time, and your cat came I am assuming from a shelter (?), I suspect he has an URI, and might have Herpes - DON'T FREAK OUT!!
Get the vet to test him for Herpes, and discuss with him the use of L-Lysine - it is an AWESOME supplement and very simple way to keep your kitty healthy - my Bugsy has it, and I mix it to everybody's water, and into his food... It's cheap, powerful, and great for all kitties immune system.
Talk to your vet tomorrow, and get him to test your kitty for herpes.
I've been leaning against the URI, since the vet said that if her eyes clear up within a day or two (which they did - after one application of the Erithromiacin, her eyes stopped tearing up) that it's probably just localized to her eyes.

I hadn't even thought of herpes - That's a new one for me. This L-Lysine, I've seen it around, but I can't find any information on it as a supplement for "normal" cats, which a few of mine are - Do you find it beneficial for the rest of your kitty family?

Let's keep our fingers crossed that she's just got Nose-in-Corner disease.
post #8 of 16
Make sure the vet checks her teeth ... as bizarre as it sounds sometimes sneezing in cats can be related to teeth issues.
Good vibes coming her way
post #9 of 16
4 out of 5 of mine are herpes cats and I give the healthy one after discussing with the vet the same amount ... it is amino acid and not likely to OD but clarifiy that with the vet

I was going to ask has there been a Major diet change? If so it could also be a type of detox. Again something to discuss with the vet ..
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofy Cat Lady View Post
First off, I think Miku reads this forum too. She hasn't been sneezing nearly as much as she was ever since I posted this, but she's still sneezed twice since I came home around dinnertime. Go figure, right?



I've been leaning against the URI, since the vet said that if her eyes clear up within a day or two (which they did - after one application of the Erithromiacin, her eyes stopped tearing up) that it's probably just localized to her eyes.

I hadn't even thought of herpes - That's a new one for me. This L-Lysine, I've seen it around, but I can't find any information on it as a supplement for "normal" cats, which a few of mine are - Do you find it beneficial for the rest of your kitty family?

Let's keep our fingers crossed that she's just got Nose-in-Corner disease.
The first time someone here mentioned this to me (herpes) about Bugsy - I said... WHAT??? My Cat? No way - you don't know MY cat! HERPES??? SAAAYY WHAT? It carries such a stigma from the human herpes...
Just in case, in all seriousness - discuss it with your vet tomorrow - it is estimated that around 75% of the cats that come from shelters and rescues (so the majority of house cats) carry the herpes virus - very very common...
L-Lysine is an excellent supplement for cats, to strengthen their immune-system in general - it won't hurt if they are not carriers of the virus. If they ARE carriers, it will stop the reproduction of the virus during a flare up - this is what has kept Bugsy healthy; I do believe so, and so does my vet.
DISCUSS IT WITH YOUR VET FIRST. - Per my vet, it is ok to give to all kitties in the water as preventative - Bugsy gets more, as he also gets it in his wet food.
My vet swears by this stuff, and so do I.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Make sure the vet checks her teeth ... as bizarre as it sounds sometimes sneezing in cats can be related to teeth issues.
Good vibes coming her way
All I can say to this.. Cats are wired funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
The first time someone here mentioned this to me (herpes) about Bugsy - I said... WHAT??? My Cat? No way - you don't know MY cat! HERPES??? SAAAYY WHAT? It carries such a stigma from the human herpes...
Just in case, in all seriousness - discuss it with your vet tomorrow - it is estimated that around 75% of the cats that come from shelters and rescues (so the majority of house cats) carry the herpes virus - very very common...
Lots of folks have generic herpes - cold sores - it's just such a yucky word to so much of the population

I'll talk to my vet tomorrow.. No worries, I'm not going to start pillpoppin' my kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I was going to ask has there been a Major diet change? If so it could also be a type of detox. Again something to discuss with the vet ..
As far as a diet change.. She hasn't existed too long She's been sneezing since we got her two weeks ago, and she's only about eight or nine weeks now.

Thanks for all the and advice Wish us luck tomorrow!
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
An update...

The vet said that since there's no discharge and she's gaining weight (Miku's up to two pounds at eight weeks - that's perfect-ish, I think ) and hasn't seemed off, it may be just be dust or nothing, and that if she's still sneezy at the end of the week, to give her a call for some antibiotics 'cause she may have a slight URI.

Thanks again, guys
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofy Cat Lady View Post
An update...

The vet said that since there's no discharge and she's gaining weight (Miku's up to two pounds at eight weeks - that's perfect-ish, I think ) and hasn't seemed off, it may be just be dust or nothing, and that if she's still sneezy at the end of the week, to give her a call for some antibiotics 'cause she may have a slight URI.

Thanks again, guys
Did you ask him/her about herpes?
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
Did you ask him/her about herpes?
I did - She didn't seem like it was a big concern. She was fairly certain that Miku's just got a touch of something, and if she doesn't show any improvements with time and love, to give her a call.

I've spent my night staring at Miku (vet said to make sure she eats/drinks, since she got some vaccines today and might be dopey - also, I have no life ) and I am noticing that she didn't sneeze until she came to my bedroom. Which makes sense - My roommates are telling me that she doesn't sneeze as often as I think she does - Obviously, they don't spend a lot of time in my bed

I'm going to leave my window open and my bedroom door locked tomorrow while I'm at work to get some ventilation in here and see if she sneezes tomorrow when we snuggle up for bed. If she doesn't.. Problem solved If she does.. I'll call the vet Wednesday morning for a new plan of action. I'm not comfortable letting her sneeze all week.
post #15 of 16
Do you have any type of candles or plug in scent type thing only in your room? If so, it could be that. It could also be dust on the furniture or in the carpet or even the type of detergent you use.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
Do you have any type of candles or plug in scent type thing only in your room? If so, it could be that. It could also be dust on the furniture or in the carpet or even the type of detergent you use.
I figure it's just the dust factor - We use wood heat, and we usually have a window or two cracked open, but I rarely do in my own room, so that's probably why.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › How many sneezes is bad sneezes?