The Cat Powered Cat Feeder

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it thanks

I was having trouble with my dogs eating Amadeus food, ergo not being able to tell if Amadeus was finishing his bowl out or it the dogs were. I also felt that Amadeus needed some enrichment in his life, and with a bit of googling I made this and thought I would share.

It is made out of a plastic bottle, a wooden splint, one of Amadeus toy balls and a rubber band.

I have it taped to the door where his food bowl would usually be and I have his usual food bowl place beneath it. All Amadeus has to do it push the ball to release a few pieces of food at a time. I figured this would make him has to work for his food and at the same time provide him with something to work is little brain.

I just made this today and I was showing him how it works, while he was VERY interested so I feel that he'll learn to use it soon enough. Of course I can tell if he is eating or not since he cry's when he is hungry and I can measure the amount of food still in the feeder.

A diagram on the feeder.

And the feeder itself

Has anybody else ever tried making their cat(s) work for food? Success? Or failure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The feeder is a sucess or I just have an extremly smart cat who is already feeding himself

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never tried anything like that, but it's a very creative idea!
I'm glad it's working for your kitty!

I am surprised that your dogs aren't chewing through the bottle to get the cat food. My dogs certainly would have.

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKalamata

I've never tried anything like that, but it's a very creative idea!
I'm glad it's working for your kitty!

I am surprised that your dogs aren't chewing through the bottle to get the cat food. My dogs certainly would have.
Thanks
My dogs are too lazy to even attempt chewing through the bottle, so they just settle for eating the crumbs on the ground.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a nifty idea. I would try something like that to use for my cats if I didnt get lucky and had their own bedroom that I blocked off with a baby gate. But I also have a tenacious doxie who will steal any and all plastic bottles around the house so if I used something like that he would probably chew right thru it off the wall..lol..But I admire your inventiveness in making something like that for your kitty!! Its cool!

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With only one cats it is pointless to give him his own room, plus he pretty much goes wherever the dogs go.... I'm sure he would find a way to get them over a gate. lol

With some inventiveness (even a word??) this could be made out of stronger materials.