TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Im a brunette!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Im a brunette!

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I went today to get hair color for my almost 3 inches of grown out naturally dark dishwater blonde hair to its current platinum state. While there, imagining the fun I was going to have with turning the very dark roots, if you could even call them that at this stage, to the white blonde I am without two steping and turning everything a whiter shade of pale, so to speak, I made the decision to go dark instead.
Came home quite proud for my decision to go natural again armed with my box of dye, except it was not dye, but bleach for dark brown hair. Did not say that anywhere on the outside of the box, but did on the inside instructions. *sigh* "Do not use on previously bleached or lightnend hair" Being stuborn I did a test strip, it came out a lovely shade of grey/green.
Back to the store, in the cold rain.
Back home with a new color, a rich golden brown. Test strip looked good, so onto the whole head. Wow, It is brown!!! Freaky! I have very long hair, and well just wow. I like it, but it is so different! Never have been a true brunette before! I know a lot of the dye is going to fade out (I hope not to the green grey!) But this is a trip!
I look like my own own evil twin, in a good way, LOL, I feel dark and dangerous, from my icy blonde persona.
I wonder how people will treat me, the former blonde gone brunette, should be interesting!
post #2 of 22
I bet that you look gorgeous with your new brunette color.
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats View Post
I bet that you look gorgeous with your new brunette color.
Thanks!
My eyes look really cool, very very green. Could also be they are bloodshot from the dye and the red makes the green stand out, lol.

ETA: My skin on the other hand has gone from "Does she ever go out in the sun?" to "Does she know there is a sun?"
Very pale looking.
post #4 of 22
Um...pictures?
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mew View Post
Um...pictures?
I am going to take some, but not till my eyes calm down a bit. With any hair color project, I am going to look stoned for the rest of the day, sensitive eyes.
post #6 of 22
I am a natural blond and for a while I went to a very dark red/brown. My hair was below my waist and it took two boxes of color to get it all. It was fun and I have thought of doing it again except I think my two year old would be upset. I may wait until he is a year or two older. I bet you look great with your new hair color. And green eyes! I'm jealous. Mine are boring blue.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink View Post
I am a natural blond and for a while I went to a very dark red/brown. My hair was below my waist and it took two boxes of color to get it all. It was fun and I have thought of doing it again except I think my two year old would be upset. I may wait until he is a year or two older. I bet you look great with your new hair color. And green eyes! I'm jealous. Mine are boring blue.
Blue eyes boring, oh you young one!
My eyes are green, but I always wanted them blue. My brothers got my moms blue eyes, all 3 of them I got Dad's green. I hated it, but now love it, I got his eyes (I keep them in a little box, )
post #8 of 22
Yes, this thread is useless without pics!
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Oh dear and what a difference a day makes, not so happy right now.
The coloring instructions said not to wash it for 24 hours afterwards (and also I did not wash my hair for a day before dying it), I waited that time and since it was feeling a little dry I just wetted it down and conditioned it, no shampoo. I was stunned the amount of the brown that came out when I rinsed. I know it was going to fade, especially over my bleached hair but this is just crazy, and now my hair is auburn! A pretty color but so, so not good on me! I have too much red in my skin tone to ever pull off any form of red hair, I look terrible!!!
Not sure what to do now, I cannot pull off this hair color, no way, no how (and no, Im not sending in pics now, lol) I was hoping if would fade to a dark blonde/light brown ash sort of color which is close to my real color, not all this red.
The shade I dyed it is Loreal Feria 58, medium golden brown, which does look a bit red on the box, but I was told to use a warm shade so it would not turn green since the pigment had been taken out of my hair from the bleach, and to go a few shades darker that what I wanted the ultimate color to be. It did not look red on the test strip, or after the whole head application. Just today after conditioning, and I am worried the more brown that comes out the redder it will get.
SO how to fix this (I cant aford to go get it done professionally)
After looking around on line the general opinion is to dye over it with an ash color close to the shade it is now. I got a box of Color Silk 60, dark ash blonde, do you think this would help it? It is 2 shades lighter than the previous dye. Too much? Would it dull the red? The only other colors I could find in the cool tones were 2 shades darker, and that is just way darker than I want to go. I have not opened the box yet to do another test strip so I can return it if anyone thinks this will make it worse. I guess I really won't know though till I do another test and see how it goes. I chose Color Silk because of the no ammonia thing. Have used the brand before and it was nice on my hair, not damaging and I would rather have the reddish hair than all my hair breaking off!
Has anyone else been in this same boat with too much red in the brown?
post #10 of 22
Truthfully, I would think auburn hair, with fair skin and green eyes would look great! I can't give you any advice on coloring though...I have 4" darker roots (and stray grey hairs) from the last time I had my hair colored. I only tried a home coloring kit once, and I got most of it all over the tub and only part of it on my hair. Hence why I don't work in a hair salon.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Truthfully, I would think auburn hair, with fair skin and green eyes would look great! I can't give you any advice on coloring though...I have 4" darker roots (and stray grey hairs) from the last time I had my hair colored. I only tried a home coloring kit once, and I got most of it all over the tub and only part of it on my hair. Hence why I don't work in a hair salon.
I have rosacea which leaves me a bit red most of the time, so red color hair just makes me look all the more red in the face. My eyes do look great with the auburn, just not the rest of me!
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
I feel dark and dangerous, from my icy blonde persona.
I'm dark haired, and with red lipstick and smokey eyes you will look dark and dangerous
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
I'm dark haired, and with red lipstick and smokey eyes you will look dark and dangerous
I just look red, very red, hair, skin, its not a look for good for me.
I did the test strip with the other color, it did nothing except make the ends of my hair look green and the roots still red. Its a Christmas look! I have to laugh, or I will cry.
Going to deal with it for the next few weeks, have to let the hair rest, see what it fades into.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
I just look red, very red, hair, skin, its not a look for good for me.
I did the test strip with the other color, it did nothing except make the ends of my hair look green and the roots still red. Its a Christmas look!.
Oh Your obviously not as dark as me?.

If you've put it over bleached blonde it would have been better to go to a salon, because i'm sure they have to use something to strip the bleach off before putting another colour on?
post #15 of 22
If you have a beauty suppy store in your area, go there and ask for help.
They have products that are not available in a regular store.

One good thing about messing up our hair...
it grows back.
post #16 of 22
Maybe you should try actually washing it now to see if it fades the color into something that you find more suitable?

Dying your hair can be tricky business. I know it's expensive, but maybe you could go to a salon to see what they say about fixing your hair color?
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
Maybe you should try actually washing it now to see if it fades the color into something that you find more suitable?

Dying your hair can be tricky business. I know it's expensive, but maybe you could go to a salon to see what they say about fixing your hair color?
I washed it, more brown came out, and it seems like the red also calmed down a little. That or I am just getting more used to looking at it!
I was told by some color consultants online that if I want to pull the color (dye) out faster to use a dandruff shampoo, or Dawn dish washing liquid. There is no quanantee that I will have the color I hoped for of course, just pull out the dye faster than regular shampoo.
Oh yes, I know dying/bleaching hair on your on can be an adventure! It took a lot to get it to blonde, thinking back on the different products I bought and hell I put my hair through it probably would have cost the same and have been far less damaging to go to a pro! One of the reasons I wanted to go back to my own color was with the combo of diferent things it took to blonde it to the color I wanted, root upkeep was nearly impossible on my own and needless to say very, very bad for my hair.
I am in a wait it out for a bit and see what what color it will go to mode.
I am going to wash it daily (with reg shampoo) and deep condition it after. I am going to be spending a lot of time the next week or so with my head wrapped in a towel, lol.
I know I am overly stressing about it, but hey, it's my hair!
post #18 of 22
I would not use Dawn dishwashing liquid in my hair that just sounds scary!! You should wait a while for your hair to restore any damage and then get a professional hair color from a Sally's beauty supply store- the loreal dyes are not that great from my experience and my mom whose hair is graying doesn't use them anymore because the color changes like that a lot...The professional dyes are not even more expensive so there is no reason why you shouldn't get it. I find that being a brunette is much more innocent looking for me than being a blonde
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I would not use Dawn dishwashing liquid in my hair that just sounds scary!! You should wait a while for your hair to restore any damage and then get a professional hair color from a Sally's beauty supply store- the loreal dyes are not that great from my experience and my mom whose hair is graying doesn't use them anymore because the color changes like that a lot...The professional dyes are not even more expensive so there is no reason why you shouldn't get it. I find that being a brunette is much more innocent looking for me than being a blonde
I didn't use dawn just my normal shampoo. Until yesterday. I used a store generic dish liquid brand that I have on hand for, well my dishes, and had a good conditioner ready and waiting. My hair was so soft after the wash with that I could not believe it! I am as stunned as anyone. I am wondering if dye itself was drying and getting a good deal of that out now helped? Bleached hair is so porus, maybe it clogged up the hair?
Seriously, this was the most gentile thing I have washed my hair with. Did it again today to get more of the dye out, and more soft! I am conditioning after every wash, but really it would do OK without it. I am thinking to switching to this for my shampoo for ever, how strange!
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
I didn't use dawn just my normal shampoo. Until yesterday. I used a store generic dish liquid brand that I have on hand for, well my dishes, and had a good conditioner ready and waiting. My hair was so soft after the wash with that I could not believe it! I am as stunned as anyone. I am wondering if dye itself was drying and getting a good deal of that out now helped? Bleached hair is so porus, maybe it clogged up the hair?
Seriously, this was the most gentile thing I have washed my hair with. Did it again today to get more of the dye out, and more soft! I am conditioning after every wash, but really it would do OK without it. I am thinking to switching to this for my shampoo for ever, how strange!
I have to try that now !!! I need my hair to be soft because my hair is curly and gets dry and frizzy very easily.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
I didn't use dawn just my normal shampoo. Until yesterday. I used a store generic dish liquid brand that I have on hand for, well my dishes, and had a good conditioner ready and waiting. My hair was so soft after the wash with that I could not believe it! I am as stunned as anyone. I am wondering if dye itself was drying and getting a good deal of that out now helped? Bleached hair is so porus, maybe it clogged up the hair?
Seriously, this was the most gentile thing I have washed my hair with. Did it again today to get more of the dye out, and more soft! I am conditioning after every wash, but really it would do OK without it. I am thinking to switching to this for my shampoo for ever, how strange!

When I worked in the grooming area of a vet office we used Dawn dish washing liquid on cats that came in for grooming that had spent time laying under cars and had grease in their fur. Its alsop used on wild animals that have been caught in oil spills. Its actually pretty gentle.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
Blue eyes boring, oh you young one!
My eyes are green, but I always wanted them blue. My brothers got my moms blue eyes, all 3 of them I got Dad's green. I hated it, but now love it, I got his eyes (I keep them in a little box, )
ROFL, isn't it funny how we always want what we don't have looks-wise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Im a brunette!