clipping nails

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a certain age when it's "OK" to start cliping a kittens nails? Mine are 5 weeks and they keep getting stuck on the carpet, cat tree, my bathrobe... My room mate says they are way too young but I'm afraid they will hurt themselves if I don't.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start now, I know some who do it early as 3 weeks.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above post, better sooner than later so your kitties get used to it now. Once they get older, it'll be harder for them to get used to it

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, just snip the tips off for now. You could probably use baby nail clippers.

It's definitely good to get them used to being handled, and having their paws handled, from an early age.

Do you need tips on how to extend he claws and snip?

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

why don't you simply remove the things they get cought up into?

Grown up cats don't really need their claws clipped so there isn't really a need to train them at a young age- once they're a bit older you won't have this problem anymore.

regards,

Christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Sure, just snip the tips off for now. You could probably use baby nail clippers.

It's definitely good to get them used to being handled, and having their paws handled, from an early age.

Do you need tips on how to extend he claws and snip?
Thanks. I'm pretty good with the whole nail clipping thing actually. Did it for my sweet Shady 15 yrs before he passed, just didn't know when to start for babies.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dandi

Thanks. I'm pretty good with the whole nail clipping thing actually. Did it for my sweet Shady 15 yrs before he passed, just didn't know when to start for babies.

I thought it sounded like you did, why I asked instead of jumping in with directions.

Originally Posted by cjh27

Hi,

Grown up cats don't really need their claws clipped so there isn't really a need to train them at a young age- once they're a bit older you won't have this problem anymore.

regards,

Christine
This is not true, actually. An adult cat's nails can grow very long and cause quite a lot of problems for the cat. Nails that are too long can interfere with walking, or grow right around into the pad. Or, like kittens, the claws get caught in upholstery, blankets and carpet.

I clip my adult cats' nails every six weeks or so.

In addition, as I said before, it's good for kittens to be socialized and get used to being handled by humans at an early age. It can save a lot of trouble later, if the cat should need medicating or other treatments.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

This is not true, actually. An adult cat's nails can grow very long and cause quite a lot of problems for the cat. Nails that are too long can interfere with walking, or grow right around into the pad.
Amen to that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

In addition, as I said before, it's good for kittens to be socialized and get used to being handled by humans at an early age. It can save a lot of trouble later, if the cat should need medicating or other treatments.
I'm thinking that I will start brushing the babies teeth too for that same reason. My Buster is 14 and he has had tooth troubles for years despite getting annual cleanings. (many removed) Hopefully by brushing, those babies will keep their chompers longer!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you guys...I started trimming Maia's nails when she was a tiny tot getting caught on everything while trying to be the cool speed demon
! It was working out for her so she needed some help, little did I know that she simply isn't the most graceful kitty, period! The younger the better, just the very tips, but extending their nails daily and getting them use to handling their paws is a big plus for the future!
Any brushing is best at a young age as well, teeth, body.......

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

Hi,

regards,

Christine
I'm a groomer and I've had cats come in with their nails grown right around into the pad. Unless you happen to have a cat that is a nail biter (one of mine is) they really do need their nails trimmed on a regular basis.