Cat-safe people foods.

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a well-known list somewhere of good people-food treats you can give your cat from time to time? I know of some strictly off limit foods like chocolate, coffee, and grapes -- but what are some suggestions of healthy food treats I could let Iroh have a nibble of?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, chicken without the skin is all right. Tuna in water, a little, not too often, also all right.
Deli meats, even though safe, because of high sodium content and the preservatives, not recommended.
Cheese, if a cat likes it, all right in very small amounts not too often.
Roast beef, home cooked turkey, sardines, also all right.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love home make chicken soup(no salt), flesh fish(plain, cooked).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
Raw green beans
Raw broccoli

These are a few my kitty likes to snack on

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats go crazy over scrambled eggs and tuna, and the vet says that is fine if fed that occassionally. Pretty much any meat prepared fresh (except pork or ham) is ok as long as it isn't heavily seasoned so steak, fish, chicken is all ok for a treat. We got our newest kitten to start eating food and stop taking the bottle by letting him lick mashed potatoes off our fingers.

Gizmo will eat ANYTHING though. It doesn't matter. Chips and dip, popcorn, carrots, if it's on our plate, he wants it. One night when our backs were turned, he stole a hot wing from DH's plate. Not mild, not medium, but suicide hot! And ate almost the whole thing. He wasn't real happy the next day trying to get that out
but the vet said he would be fine. So, add hot wings to the list of what not to feed your cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Foofy Cat Lady

Careful with that -- It may leave you with watery poo. Just a smidge is okay, though.
it is actually a common holistic "med" for diarrhea and constipation.. Of course it can cause issues in sensitive animals , as I found out once

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding the pumpkin, I have a cat who is in the beginning stages of CRF, so I give it to her twice a day everyday to keep her regular. My other cat likes it so much that we give her a bit daily, too.