Help! Kitten eating litter

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kittens are 5 weeks old today and 1 of them wont stop eating litter. I have been trying to wean him from mamma but, unlike his sisters, he has NO desire to eat food. Get him near litter and he goes crazy eating it. It is tidy cats non-clumping clay litter. He is not just giving it a nibble to taste it, he is trying to eat mouthfuls! Anyway, his sister is now starting to nibble at it too. I think it's because she's watching him do it. I don't know what to do. Should I take away the litter box and just keep cleaning up the messes until he is older?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Get some Yesterday's news.
How will that help? Will he be less likley to eat paper litter or is eating paper less toxic than eating clay? I've got some feline pine litter that I wanted to switch my adult cats to using but it's feline pine clumping and I heard that clumping litter is dangerous for kittens.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't change litter, stick with the clay litter you're using until the kitten has completely grown out of it. Unfortunately it does just take time, some will keep eating litter for longer than others, but they do grow out of it, I promise

karshe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All my kittens go through this stage for about 1-2 weeks. They all soon realise that food tastes a lot better. I just don't worry about it too much. They will out grow eating it quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Talked to vet and she said to change litter because it was too dangerous to let a kitten consume it. I got regular feline pine. It looks like pretzels! I guess I was expecting something that looked like pine bark mulch or something. Anyway, no one seems inclined to eat this so HOORAY!!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went through panic mode when my kittens ate their litter at about 5 weeks. It was horrifying to watch them picking up mouthfuls of litter when they weren't even really trying to eat the soft food I was putting down for them. They did grow out of it quickly, however, and the people on here and on google searches did say that it was pretty normal. I'm glad you are trying something different since it worries you, though.