Wires and papers!

feanx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Anyone have opinion and advice on this?

I have bunched computer and electrical cords either running along floor or hanging. I cannot cover all of them with plastic encasing or run them above reach.

How can I really protect them? Some cords or cables cannot be replaced if kitty chews on them. Does using the spray with flavor that cats hate work? And can this spray damage the cords?! What can I do?

I also have four bookcases of books, papers and/or photos some of which are not replaceable. I also cannot backup or scan all to protect! I am a new kitty owner so am unsure what to expect. Are these in danger of spraying/peeing or chewing? I cannot place them all out of reach of kitty... I live in studio so I CANNOT put in different room and keep door closed. What can I do for the papers/books?!

All input and experience would be appreciated!

Feanx

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the bookcases try leaving the bottom shelf empty so its like a cat lounging area. I have a 4 shelf entertainment stand that has books and DVDS and doodads on it and my books are my treasured Nora Roberts books so NOONE is allowed to touch them. When I cleared off the bottom shelf it became the lounge shelf for my cats and they dont mess with anything else, even the dog. As for the wires Im not sure what to do because my computer wires are just out and about behind my desk and none of the cats mess with them or any other wires including cell chargers or anything like that. But I would NOT spray them with anything because it could damage the wires and the equipment the wire is hooked up to if it shorts out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been reading and responding to your posts and I think the first thing you should do is not get overly worried about what "might" happen. Wait until you get the little one home and you will then have a better idea of what their personality is like, whether they are even interested in your cords or not, etc. I would recommend dealing with it IF it happens and don't overthink the situation too much.

It's good to be prepared but not to get too worried about IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feanx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again to both of you
Yosemite you are right. It is just overwelming for me as I read all these bunches of postings with kitty problems.
With so little experience with caring for kitty - I have no sense of how common or uncommon are all these problems. You know like, are these things 1% of cat population or like 65%!!
Then I'd have a sense which 'big issues' are something I should really plan for or if it is 1% event that I shouldn't worry about...
Feanx

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should just breath and relax otherwise youll be too stressed out to enjoy having your kitten. Just get ready for some heavy duty play time and lotsa luvins! Dont worry about that one percent till you know if you have a cat that fits into that range!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a little Bitter Apple spray on our computer (and other) wires. Just don't spray it up to the socket!

As far as your books - maybe you can find an enclosed (glass) book case or display case for the irreplacable ones. Or put them on a higher shelf. You would only have to worry about them being messed up if on the bottom two shelves.

We've never had any cat spray on books and hopefully you would not have to worry.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I currently live in a studio, too - I certainly understand your concerns.
I left the bottom shelf open for Ku Ku when I had bigger bookshelves in my previous apartment. She really loved to go in there & often took a nap

She never sprayed or messed anything at all, though.

Regarding wires & cables, you can wrap it around with aluminum foils instead.
It's cheaper than plastic covers and works for Ku Ku, she stopped chewing on those with foils

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be overwhelming when it comes to bringing a new kitten home if not prepared. A very useful way to block them from high wire/cable areas is to bundle them up best you can then place boards blocking area, desk/wall or unit/wall, so they can't run in there and get into a bunch of trouble. It takes much less time to take the proper precautions, maybe a few hours at the most, vs. all the time freaking out when they get into trouble, something gets ruined and needs to be replaced, or worse!

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

It can be overwhelming when it comes to bringing a new kitten home if not prepared. A very useful way to block them from high wire/cable areas is to bundle them up best you can then place boards blocking area, desk/wall or unit/wall, so they can't run in there and get into a bunch of trouble.

That also works, too.

Actually, this is what I did first - built barricades around all the wires.
Problem was, Ku Ku somehow learned & found the way to sneak in