Question about smushy faced cats

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I think Ive convinced BF to either rescue another cat or get another cat but what Im looking for is a smushy faced cat. Like the ones in Wellington Cats siggy. What breed are those or what breeds have smushy faces? Its for BF he has been talking for the past 2 yrs about finding one with a smushy face and adores those kind of cats. Ive checked petfinder to look for one to rescue and there are none in our area that fit the smushy face description. However if I bought him one (wouldnt be for atleast a yr or more to save money up) what breed would I have to research and does anyone know of any reputable breeders in PA if I have to go that route. Im trying to start the researching process now so when I have money saved up I can get him his very own smushy faced cat.

Im sorry if anyone takes offense to the smushy description..Its not meant to be nasty just what BF calls them everytime he sees one on tv he is like look look hunni a smushy cat!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are either Persians (long hair) or Exotic Shorthairs (Persians in short hair). This is what the cats look like if bred to the written standard. The others are pet quality or bred outside the standard (ones with longer noses).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that what Wellingtons Cats are? The ones in the siggy are the type BF fell in love with he thinks that the siggy is ADORABLE and loves the look of those cats! I really dont care what breed it is but Im trying my darndest to find him a smushy faced cat. He really isnt a cat person and had (prior to us having cats) said that he hates them they are stinky icky animals...yadayadayada. Fast forward to today he comes in for lunch and asks each kitty if they are hungry and procedes to enter his forbidden domain..aka...the cat room and feed and fresh water kitties. Sleeps every night with Fatman at his side and GiGi on his pillow and Hercules at his feet. He has also started looking into putting shelves along the window edge in the cat room so when we redo that window he can have a lounge spot for Hercules to lay in his own window. He even realigned our sofa so it was flush with the living room window so the cats could sleep in it. Its crazy how he was so anti cats and has now turned into a closet cat man!
How is today is the reason Im starting to look now into the type of cat he wants and Im on the prowl on petfinder and the local shelter for a smushy faced cat for him. Im hoping Ill get lucky and find one at a local rescue so I can help give a kitty a furever home! But Im not completely against researching and purchasing a pet quality cat or kitten from a breeder!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I prefer Exotics to Persians, but I'm not a LH cat person.

I'm sure Sam will tell you all about their upkeep and personalites

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably will not really find a "smushy" in the shelters - most are the longer nosed byb type of cats.

If you want an Exotic (sh version), then here's a list of breeders to contact. You can also get a less expensive adult (retired) instead of a kitten. Being from PA, you should not have a problem - there are tons of CFA shows in the area to visit (PA, NJ, MD, VA).

http://www.breedlist.com/exotic-breeders.html

Your biggest decision is to narrow it down on color

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked on that link you gave me and showed BF he thought they looked awesome!
Fingers crossed he still is amicable to us getting another cat probably in a year or but I do like the idea of adopting a retired cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck - I'd love to have a lavender-silver Ocicat and plan on putting it on my Christmas list till hubby says yes (did that with Jack)....

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start talking to breeders now.
I talked to sphynx breeders way before I got my first sphynx.
My husband does not know this but I want another show cat.
It does not have to be a sphynx this time.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, the girl in my siggy is an Exotic. They're beautiful aren't they.

Flutterby isn't as smushy as you can get, but about the smushy that I like.

Some more of my Exotics to help you decide what colours/sex you like. BTW, Flutterby is a female.

Cream & White Neuter

Red & White female

Two together (Persian & Exotic - both females, Flutterby's daughters from different litters)

Silver tabby female

Flutterby's son, Blue Tabby & White

Flutterby's 2nd litter

Brown tortie tabby girl

My pride & joy, Red Tabby & White Neuter from my 3rd or 4th (?) litter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

you know you just made it very difficult for them to narrow the color choices down.... way to go girl!i
Haha yeah I guess. Any colour is great, IMO.

I've always been a "boy fan" and a fan of boy cats over the girls but as I'm typing my van kitten is snuggled up under my chin. Fluffy (the Persian in the pics) has a heart of gold too and well Flutterby has a beautiful nature too. She's recently been a star in the newspaper.

We've only got one boy here (the last photo, Elmo) because he sprays a but with having the entire females. It would be nice if you could rescue a smushy though.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well lemme tell ya...All those pictures are ADORABLY SMUSHY CUTIE PATOOTIES!!!!!! Omg!! Bf had a field day looking at all those pics he LOVES those cats!! I do have a preferance for males in the house (2 male cats and a male dog) but I think that BF prefers females because GiGi our female kitten is daddys little girlfriend she loves loves loves him and he loves it that way thats his baby girl so I think he would want a female to love and adore him like no other! As for color Im leaning towards orange because BFs cousin has an orange tabby named Franklin (we named our dog after this cat) and BF loves that cat and thinks he is the coolest plus I think orange would complete our color scheme of animals. We currently have our grey and white tuxedo (Fatman), black and tan tabby (GiGi) and Hercules is our random "mutt" with white grey brown and charcoal with spots and stripes! Plus cant forget my dapple doxie Franklin who has the black and tan markings with grey spots all over! Ill have to email some of the breeders and possibly see if any of them have any retired cats up for adoption or maybe set up a visit to their cattery so I can take BF down to look so I can melt his heart instantaneously and he can give into me (again..lol) and get another cat! When I got Hercules the rule was only one animal at a time..now look at where we are 3 cats and a dog later!!! Hahahaha

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a hint when talking to potential breeders for asking for a kitten/cat. Use the correct color terms

Orange - s/b Red Tabby
Grey - s/b Blue

And if the cat is two colors (which you use "tuxedo"), the proper term is Bicolor.

Tabbies come in brown (black-brown stripes to warm honey brown), blue, red, or cream. These are the basic colors.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanx...I have a tendancy to use crayon colors because its easier for me to remember lol...I did email the one breeder for basic information health, temprement etc and just a basic inquiry about Exotics currently she has no kitten available which this isnt something I want to rush into anyways because I have some other things that are being funded right now that are more important than another cat...Im currently on countdown too for GiGi to get spayed (15 days to go) But I did let her know that I was interested in the breed and would love as much information as she could pass on to me.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Flutterby's 2nd litter
That bicolor Persian in the back row!

If I get to grow old, wrinkly and angry old lady I swear I'll get a chinchilla or shaded Persian, pet and brush him/her all the time whining to him/her how rude and horrible kids are these days..

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed 4 breeders total today. Just asking them a general inquiry about exotics. And Im 99.999999999999999999% sure Ive got BF convinced to get one under the conditions that I dont plan on traveling outside of PA and that it doesnt involve selling any internal organs on the black market. LOL. But I do know this is going to be a pretty penny whether it be a retired kitty or a kitten...Soooooo anyone feel like shell shocking me and giving me a rough guestimate on how much Im looking to spend!!!???
Little whammy little whammy little whammy little whammy!!!!!!!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whats the proper color term for a black and grey tabby?? That and the red tabby is what we are leaning towards color wise. But we are open to anything thats just our preferance!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing either blue tabby (which would be shades of darker blue (grey) against grey or a black-brown tabby (the stripes are more blackish with a cold brown-grey background). If you are talking about the cats you currently have, its probably not a silver but a brown tabby.

I've seen a lot of people describe the really dark brown tabbies as "black" or "greyish" colors.