my cat is sick

joliskaluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Gary, is sick. Last year at his checkup, the vet recommended that I put him on a wet-food only diet, in order to drop his weight down from 20 lbs. September 9, 2009, he had his yearly appointment, and his weight was 15 lbs and 5 oz. The vet said that this was a good weight for him, and to bring him back in three months to check his weight. Late spring/early summer of 2009, I began switching him back over to dry food. I noticed that his BMs were really soft, and not how they normally were. I thought that this would clear up when he got used to the food change, but it didn't and he still has soft BM's. Last week, I took a stool sample in and they tested it for parasites, but the test was negative. On Monday, I took him in, and they finished their exam and took blood and did an x-ray because they felt a mass. They found a mass or two near his intestines on the x-ray. The blood work came back negative for Feline Leukemia and another virus that I don't remember the name of. His protein also is low. His weight at this appointment was 11 lbs 7 oz. He has lost a lot of muscle mass, and he's really bony. He seems to sleep more, and is less tolerant than usual. The doctor has told me that the next options are an ultrasound, exploratory surgery, or just to wait and see. I would rather not wait and see, but I am unsure how I will be able to pay for all this as a lot of my extra money was already spent on getting him these tests, and paying for his new food that the vet recommended to up his protein.
Gary is 6.5 years old.
Does anyone have any ideas, or questions I could ask the vet, or other treatments? Any information would be so helpful. Thank you so much. I'm very worried about my buddy.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 6 years he has a lot of life left in him if it turned out to be something easily treated.

There is two ways of thinking about the possibles: ultrasounds are expensive and if they find something you would need surgery anyway, exploratory surgery, if it turns out to be nothing surgically treatable is a lot of stress on his body.

Many cats, the lumps are not cancerous and are fairly easily removed. The two I have had experience with cost $800 (lumps in one area) and $2000 (lumps in two separate areas - each side of the body so two surgeries) and that included the bloodwork which you already had done, getting costs from the vet may help you in your decision as the vets here are fairly expensive.

If they seen the mass, I would probably go for the surgery myself as chances are if the xray picks it up, so will the ultrasound

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet about Care Credit. I am using it right now, and it was a life saver. I hope the vet will get to the bottom of this. for you and Gary. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joliskaluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

If they seen the mass, I would probably go for the surgery myself as chances are if the xray picks it up, so will the ultrasound
The vet said the same thing, so we went for the surgery. The vet did a biopsy.

Originally Posted by esrandall2000

Why did you switch him back to dry food when he'd been doing so well on wet?
Canned food is way more expensive.

Originally Posted by farleyv

Ask the vet about Care Credit. I am using it right now, and it was a life saver. I hope the vet will get to the bottom of this. for you and Gary. Keep us posted.
I tried this, and my application was denied.

Update:
So the tests came back and Gary has Lymphoma. He seems to have gotten worse. He can't jump up onto things, he can barely get off the bed. He won't eat, unless it is his cat treats, and he was drinking water and grooming himself. He looks like he is starving, and acts like it is very painful to move. He goes in today for his first treatment shot, and I really hope that I can afford his treatment. Maybe I'll just go as far as I can until the money runs out. Hopefully it will last. The vet said that the cancer he does have is very treatable, and that he has a good chance of responding to the medicine.
Thanks everyone, for responding. I'll keep posting as I learn new information.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... I am so sorry he has Lymphoma, but at least it is treatable, and he is now on his way to recover, and that is excellent news! Poor baby! Now it is imperative that he eats, drinks and follows his treatment, as I am sure you will be doing... What is the vet recommending him to eat - what is he eating now?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Joliskaluv

Update:
So the tests came back and Gary has Lymphoma. He seems to have gotten worse. He can't jump up onto things, he can barely get off the bed. He won't eat, unless it is his cat treats, and he was drinking water and grooming himself. He looks like he is starving, and acts like it is very painful to move. He goes in today for his first treatment shot, and I really hope that I can afford his treatment. Maybe I'll just go as far as I can until the money runs out. Hopefully it will last. The vet said that the cancer he does have is very treatable, and that he has a good chance of responding to the medicine.
Thanks everyone, for responding. I'll keep posting as I learn new information.
I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but am glad you know what is ailing Gary.

He is in my thoughts, and many that the meds work and you are able to continue treatment.

Maybe your vet will do a payment plan if you need it.

Please keep us updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joliskaluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Well.... I am so sorry he has Lymphoma, but at least it is treatable, and he is now on his way to recover, and that is excellent news! Poor baby! Now it is imperative that he eats, drinks and follows his treatment, as I am sure you will be doing... What is the vet recommending him to eat - what is he eating now?
I asked the vet what he could eat, and he said anything. I said that Gary likes chicken hearts, and his vet, Dr. Ian, said that he could eat chicken hearts all day long if he wanted to. So I will find him good foods to eat. I feel a lot better for him, now that we went to the vet, and he got his starter shot, and the vet wasn't too concerned about how he has been acting. Looking at Gary, I just felt like he was wasting away and didn't know what to do for him.

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but am glad you know what is ailing Gary.

He is in my thoughts, and many that the meds work and you are able to continue treatment.

Maybe your vet will do a payment plan if you need it.

Please keep us updated
The good thing is that the medication, as quoted by Dr. Ian, will only be about $30-$40 a month. That is manageable, thank goodness.

I will update, thank you all for your well wishes.