How do you talk to your cats? What odd things do you say?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember there was an earlier thread about "How do you talk to your cats?"

It was kind of funny, the things we say.

When I pet Penny's back, she often wags her tail in a bratty way, then I say "Don't be a brat" (i pronounce it Buh-RRRRat or BRRRRat) or "Wagging's ruuuuude sweety, it's ruuuuuude" (of course I don't think it's rude it's just something I've been saying for the longest - I don't know why
and of course she continues to wag and do whatever she wants

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I talk to Sho like he understands me. And that's about as odd as it gets. I don't use any funny phrases or anything. I'm sure he thinks I'm nuts anyway. He's probably thinking, "Look lady, I don't understand human! Can't you see how blankly I'm staring at you?"

lvh01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I talk to our cats as if they can understand what we're saying. Tetley even talks back occasionally! We usually use a silly voice, though. It seems to hold their attention better! Hahaha.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lily's always "Lily Pie", she gets a super sweet voice because she's a super sweet girl
Smudgey-kitten gets more of a baby voice, because she acts like a kitten all the time, and she IS the baby
And Stumpy gets a more grown up voice that more suited to her trouble maker nature

They all respond to their different tones.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I talk to Rosalie all the time. It's usually "ok Rosalie, quit harassing the dogs, you realize they could swallow you whole if they wanted to right?" LOL!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To get Fiona riled up and get her to jump up onto her tree or in a cabinet I say : " Your a superstar! Baby girl superstar!"

Encouragement for ReeRee is " Go ReeRee, go ReeRee, GO!" He is a special needs kitty and when he is trying climb somewhere or jump he sometimes loses balance. So I cheer him on!

To get Rocko riled up I say " Are you a frisky boy? Mr. Frisky Frisk!"

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Im alone and talk to Hercules its generally when he is on the bed wanting some luvins and I baby talk him horribly saying things like whosamy hunka hunka hercules theres my snuggy buggy punky pooo herkie boy aww look at the sexy bewwy awww theres my hunka hunka herkie boy...Its quite embarassing when BF catches me...
Fatman gets talked to like an adult and GiGi has started being called G BooBoo and when I call her that shes generally wrapped around my shoulders and neck wanted petted

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I basically talk to them like they're humans. I ask them how their day was, if they're feeling okay, etc. Basically, every interaction I have them is followed up by verbal communication of some sort.

For one thing, they're my friends and are treated as such; for another, we have no idea what they understand and what they don't, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby and I both talk to Bijou all the time and he talks back usually. When I hold him and love on him I tell him how much I love him and he usually raises his head so I can snuffle his neck under his chin. If I lean over he'll jump up on my back and when I ask him "who's my baby?", he puts his head beside mine and rubs against my face while purring up a storm. We pretty much talk to him like we would a son.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I talk to them as if they were understanding me. There are times when I can tell Lucy is going to go up to Carly and whack her. I tell her that I know what's she thinking and to not do it. She will then look over her shoulder, whine as only she can, and take off in a different direction.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I talk to them as if they were understanding me. There are times when I can tell Lucy is going to go up to Carly and whack her. I tell her that I know what's she thinking and to not do it. She will then look over her shoulder, whine as only she can, and take off in a different direction.
OMG that is so cute! I'm betting she understands exactly what you are saying.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder too if when we talk to our cats if they can just tell how we are feeling by the tone of our voice and stuff because I think they can tell when we are lovey or agitated or sad. I just had a visit from my probation officer telling us that yet again we are switching p.o.'s and now instead of just going in a paying fines BF and I have to go in and actually sit and talk to the p.o...yet more time the county takes out of our day and pockets! I came back inside to sit and vegetate and Hercules came right up to me and flopped on his back as if to say here ya go mom rub me up and feel all better!! And lemme tell ya it worked cuz I just talked normal to him and he just laid there and let me rub all over him and blow raspberries on his belly

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually talk to them as if they are children and can understand.. My bf always says things like "you do understand they have no clue what you're saying, right?". But they do know what I am saying when I ask them if they're hungry.. Or if they wanna eat. I always say that before feeding time, and they always respond.

But, throughout the day I will tak to them in a babyish way. Like with Monster ill say Therzzaa my big baby boy Monster kitty, who's a Monster baby boo, He's a boogy boogy boo booo kitty cat my handsome Monster, Mommy loves her boo boo kittycat Monster boy! I wubbbbbbbbb my booza booza babykitty!

With Mittens, Ill say.. Mitten kitten babygirl! I luvva my lil girl she so beautiful! My Princess Mitten kitten Mommy lovesssss you soooo much baby! Ooozzza booozzza Mitten Mitten whoozza a fatty girl? Kissy kissy hunni girl I LOVE YOU! Givvaa Mommy her nosey kisses! I wubbbb my nosey kisses from my Mitten kitten!

I do this in front of whoever is there at the time. Yes, everyone thinks im psycho. LOL.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I get home from work, I usually salaam the husband (ie assalamu alaikum, peace be upon you). Squeaky runs to the door when she hears the key go in the lock, I've started to salaam her too, and then carry on a meow meow meow conversation about how our days went

The husband speaks to her in arabic. He's in charge of feeding, so he'll say, ga'ana? (ie food?) and she'll be like, yes yes yes yes please! His nickname for her is katkoot (chick), and has recently added amour (cute in egyptian arabic). So now it's katkoot amour, ga'ana? My cat knows more arabic then I do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell Penny "Penny, your sister's too plump tweety. She needs to go on a diet. Why are you so skinny?"

First of all,

Penny's "sister" is Daisy (they're not really sisters.
step-sisters I guess)

I call Penny "tweety" or "pumpkin". Pumpkin because she answers to it. Tweety - I don't know where I got that

Penny's not "so skinny" and Daisy doesn't really need "to go on a diet"

I think I just like making excuses to talk to them

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I know what you mean.

I'm glad to see how many people subscribe to pretty much the same theory I do: that if you talk to them as you would an intelligent child, they do get it. We all know they don't know all of the words -- though some words are hot tickets -- but when we talk naturally to them, what they don't pick up from the words, they get from tone of voice and body language. And they do respond as kids would! The whining and quibbling -- and the snuggling.

I remember one morning when I was getting breakfast for Shasta, Gryphon and Nibs -- all RB -- Gryph was sitting politely waiting, while the other two were milling around being vocal and pestiferous -- more so than usual. Finally, the usually patient Gryph took a swipe at Nibs, who whined loudly and looked hurt. I told him, "I don't blame him! You're making enough noise to wake the dead!" at which point, he muttered and slunk off a few feet to pout while I finished preparing their meal.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I talk to them as if they were understanding me. There are times when I can tell Lucy is going to go up to Carly and whack her. I tell her that I know what's she thinking and to not do it.
That's me as well

If Sophie bops Jack for no reason i'll say "Now what was that for?!. Be nice!"

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

That's me as well

If Sophie bops Jack for no reason i'll say "Now what was that for?!. Be nice!"
Then you get the look of: MOM, he was bugging me.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God - I talk to them all day long!

I guess the best way to describe is as though I were talking to a 1-2 yr old child... I know they can somewhat understand me; I can definitely understand them, so in a way we do have a language and that is communicating...
I think non-cat-lovers might find it weird, but for me it is just natural...
The vocal one here is Lady Lucky - she is a talker! Sooooo dramatic!! Bugsy is very quiet, but he announces his presence on bed - he sleeps hugging me every night
. He has the sweetest meow in the world!

Miss Hope only meows very softly, she almost needs a megaphone to be heard, the poor thing.... when she is hungry - otherwise she is completely quiet, but she responds to me by jumping around, vibrating her tail, etc...
The three of them respond to my tone of voice - totally.
Oh, and Lucky knows how to say "Hi"! I swear!!