TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › How do you talk to your cats? What odd things do you say?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you talk to your cats? What odd things do you say? - Page 2

post #31 of 39
We talk to the kitties all day long! We talk to them like we would little children, mostly, in higher tones and kind of baby talk or silly talk. But we do also talk to them like adults - usually when it's something like "Lazlo, what are you doing?" ...as he's starting to stalk Bill or something. That gets followed by "Don't even THINK about it!" ...and he sometimes listens.
post #32 of 39
I talk to them all, all the time. I usually ask them (the first time I see one of them in the morning or when I get home at night) "Hi Baby! Did you have a good day/night? I hope so! Every kitty should have good days/nights." ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (I think Trent wanted to type in his reply...he's still working on the typing skills )

I do think they understand us more than we give them credit for. Here's a good example. Ophelia decided that she really didn't like Annie and the other little girls and has lived up on top of our bookcase headboard since Annie came home. (It's not as bad as it sounds...she's got beds, food, water, litterbox, toys up there (it's big enough for all of it), and she does come down to snuggle Daddy a few times every day.) Recently she got brave and was coming down and even made it so far as coming down the hall and down a few stairs! GO OPHELIA!!! She even came down and across the room when ALL of the other cats were in the room. Oh gosh, I was so proud! But Daddy was freaking out because she was almost nose to nose with Ginger and since he wanted to go to sleep and not stay up to make sure everyone was nice to his Baby Doll, he picked her up and took her back to the top of the bed. She hasn't come back down, except for Daddy snuggles, since then.

So last night I had a little talk with her. I told her that we were both really proud of her when she came down, and we really wanted her to be a part of the family outside of the bedroom. And I told her that Daddy didn't mean that he wanted her to stay up there but he is just over protective of her and that's why he carried her back there. This morning...she came down and went into the window. I'm so proud of her!
post #33 of 39
I talk to my three an awful lot..most of the time to Shark and Arwen.
post #34 of 39
Hmm... I've been thinking about how I talk to mine and I apparently have different ways for each kitty!

Prissy gets spoken to in a very soft and gentle voice. I say things like "Hey sweetie, you're my girl aren't you? Pretty baby." and I say it very low and soft, almost a whisper. She is very gentle so I guess that's why I talk to her so gently. Lately I've gotten to asking her what I'm going to do without her and telling her not to leave me yet. I'm terrified that she's going to die soon, even though she's in great health, especially for an older kitty.

Cuddles gets the baby voice, probably because he's just a big cuddly baby. "Hey baby boy. You wants cuddles? Yes you do. You wuv da cuddles." Usually while he's giving me eskimo kisses or I've got my nose buried in his fur and he's just purring up a storm. :-)

Smudge gets a squeeky baby voice. He's just getting to where he demands the cuddlings. He usually cries loudly for a few seconds and I'll say "what wrong baby? It's ok Handsome" ANd he'll run up to me and flip over on his back, where I start rubbing his belly and his chin. "Oh my handsome wittle boy. Him so handsome. My wittle Smudgy boy. Smudgy smudgy!"

Ginger kitty doesn't get spoken to very much. The only thing she really responds to is "pretty girl". Every time I call her a pretty girl she comes to me for lovings.

Loudmouth pretty much gets spoken to in a normal voice. Well, when she's not getting told "NO!" and such.

All my cats respond to a few phrases though.

"Who wants outside? Outside?" gets them all running to the door.
"Who wants it?" gets them crying loudly as they form a circle on the kitchen floor, waiting for a plate.
"NO!" or "Eh!" makes them stop whatever they're doing.

And of course, anytime I lay down and cover up with a blanket, that must be some non-verbal signal to come pile up on Meowmy.
post #35 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I sing to them too, but Maggie has a special song, "Who's the most beautiful girl in the world?" Then I raise her paw & say "I am".
Hey, I sing to both my cats too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypoh View Post
I tell him Im going to sell him on Ebay if he doesnt behave himself. Everytime I say it he cocks his head and sometimes yawns like yeah right lady keep talkin......
Crazypoh that's hilarious .... About once a month I joke with Daisy and say I'm going to eat her. I say "You're so plump I'm going to EEEAT you!" (for no reason either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKH View Post
My family used to have a dog(male Akita) & 3 cats(all female).
The way my dad talked to them was very distinctive: he talked to doggy in a way he talked to me & my sister(aka, very commanding tone, lol) but when he talked to cats, he completely changed his tone & talked sooo sweetly.
(he never talked to me or my sister in such way, lol)
We used to tease him like "Dad, you must like these kitties better, don't you?".
His response was always, "They listen to me better than my daughters do."
Interesting. Maybe because cats are the little-est out of everyone in the house?
post #36 of 39
I always talk to my 5 kitties, I ask them questions (even though they look at me gone out lol) and whenever I see billy, I shout "Billy, billy, I love my baby billy billy) they think I am mad I am sure, my cat smartie I say "smartie farties having a party" omg, how mad I am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I do think they understand us more than we give them credit for. Here's a good example. Ophelia decided that she really didn't like Annie and the other little girls and has lived up on top of our bookcase headboard since Annie came home. (It's not as bad as it sounds...she's got beds, food, water, litterbox, toys up there (it's big enough for all of it), and she does come down to snuggle Daddy a few times every day.) Recently she got brave and was coming down and even made it so far as coming down the hall and down a few stairs! GO OPHELIA!!! She even came down and across the room when ALL of the other cats were in the room. Oh gosh, I was so proud! But Daddy was freaking out because she was almost nose to nose with Ginger and since he wanted to go to sleep and not stay up to make sure everyone was nice to his Baby Doll, he picked her up and took her back to the top of the bed. She hasn't come back down, except for Daddy snuggles, since then.

So last night I had a little talk with her. I told her that we were both really proud of her when she came down, and we really wanted her to be a part of the family outside of the bedroom. And I told her that Daddy didn't mean that he wanted her to stay up there but he is just over protective of her and that's why he carried her back there. This morning...she came down and went into the window. I'm so proud of her!


I agree
Although they don't "speak" our language, I believe they do understand us, or try to understand us.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1atsite View Post
Interesting. Maybe because cats are the little-est out of everyone in the house?
That maybe the case.
My dad treated those kitties like "babies" since his "real babies" are all grown-up, lol.
post #39 of 39
I talk baby talk to them most of the time, but I also talk to them as if they were people. It's funny because sometimes I see Marshmallow out of the corner of my eye and call him "Daisy." Then I always apologize to him "I'm sorry, Marshmallow, I thought you were Daisy!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › How do you talk to your cats? What odd things do you say?