My dad doesnt like the new cat

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad doesnt like my new cat Sadie because she moans and wants to get rid of her what do I do??? My mom says dont worry but IDK. My dad wants to put the cat outside but if we do that then thats not good also because she'll run away and thats what my dad wants.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tiffany01

My dad doesnt like my new cat Sadie because she moans and wants to get rid of her what do I do??? My mom says dont worry but IDK. My dad wants to put the cat outside but if we do that then thats not good also because she'll run away and thats what my dad wants.
Can you keep her in your room?

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad was the same way when i got my cat. He wouldn't talk to me for a week afterwards, he hated my cat. But now, he loves Darcy more than I do I think. It just takes time for the pet to grow on someone. Maybe you could keep Sadie away from him for now, and slowly let them spend more time together?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's in the bathroom now.

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried figuring out why she is crying? It may be that she's bored and wants to play. If so, get her some toys or make her some that she can play with on her own. My cat often enjoys crumpled pieces of paper and will play for hours. There are also cheap lazer pointers at Wal-Mart or other supermarkets that you can buy [about $3]. Just don't point it directly at their face and your kitty will chase it til it wears itself out!

Also, she may just want cuddletime and attention. How often is someone there to pet her? Sometimes a cat desires about 20, uninterrupted minutes of snuggling and petting.

Most cats I've seen meow and moan because they are bored or lonely.

Perhaps even invite your father to play with the cat with you, or to pet her. That may encourage him to like her more.

Also keep her in a different room. Make a safe-zone where she feels that she can curl up and feel safe.

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad doesnt want to listen to the moans.

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We will when she go's to the vets in a few weeks.

mickeycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with what others have said. The kitty is probably trying to tell you something. She may be bored, lonely, hungry, or just want attention. How long have you had her? If she is quite new to your home, maybe she just isnt sure of her surroundings yet.

There's no way to "make" your dad like the cat; and there's no way to "make" the kitty stop moaning. Keeping kitty in a separate room from your dad is one idea, but I'm afraid separating her from the family like that might make her moan more.

I would explain to your dad how much the cat means to you, and why you feel it is not safe for her to be an outside cat.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try finding out why the cat's doing this. Cats seldom meow to hear themselves talk--they almost always have a reason and it may or may not be vet related.

How much attention a day do you give her? How often is she cooped up in that bathroom?

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just let her out of bathroom and she is roming around the house still moaning.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope things get better. The only thing I can think of is to keep her in your room with a litter box and food/water. Spend as much time as you can with her. When she moans/crys, try distracting her and redirecting her to a toy or string to play.

Maybe she just needs time to adjust. Hang in there.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which girl is it? (just looked at the pics)

ETA: just have looked at your previous threads and answered my own questions. So the moaner is Sadie, you got her a week ago? do you have proof that she was spayed? because my guess is that she isn't

ETA: (Further to that - I should add I don't want proof, lol, was just asking for yourself...because they may just have been saying that to give her away easier?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also wondering along the same lines as Sam....I was thinking perhaps the moaning was due to her being in heat.

I see that she is "wobbly", like her balance is off. She's had a rough life so far - when I got Eden she was pregnant, balance challenged, dehydrated, & starved. It took months after the kittens were weaned for her to get close to "normal". To this day she is still "off" in terms of balance/basic common sense (like do not crawl into the dog's mouth!).

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She runs and plays.