TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Feliway?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feliway?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I've heard some positive things about Feliway on this forum. Although I'm not thrilled with the idea of using artificial pheromones to solve a behavior issue, the situation with one of our cats has gotten out of hand. He wants to kill the other cats, at least the other male (he's neutered, don't worry) - and we humans get injured in the "crossfire".

So, I'd like to know more about Feliway...

Would it help an aggressive cat like ours?
Do you have to get it from the vet? How expensive is it? How long does it last?
How do you use it? Where do you put it?
What are your experiences with Feliway?

Thank you; this forum is always full of good answers!
post #2 of 21
I got mine from ebay. They sell them at the vets office, drug stores and pet shops around here. I bought a plug-in diffuser when I had to introduce adult males (intact) to each other. You put it where the cats spend most of their time. I'm not sure if it worked, the intact males became lovers () but my neutered male was totally pissed off and wouldn't accept the new male. The product lasted about 4-5 weeks in my old apartment which was 51 square meters large. I can't remember the price though, but it's a lot cheaper in US than in Europe.
I wouldn't buy the spray though, you'd have to be spraying it everywhere all the time.
post #3 of 21
I use Comfort Zone with Feliway 24/7 in my house and I have for the past 3 years. I use the diffuser form, though there is an aerosol spray available. It helps both of my kitties in different ways. For my older scaredy cat, it helps her stress level stay in check. For my younger herpes positive kitty, it helps keep the flare ups down. Each little bottle lasts about a month and I know when it's time to change it when my older kitty gets hissy about everything! She's goes from a pleasant easy going cat to a grumpy old lady in no time when it's time for the plug in to be changed. Within a couple of hours of putting in a new one, she's back to her easy going self.

I buy mine online from EntirelyPets.com. http://www.entirelypets.com/ They usually have some kind of sale going on, or are offering free shipping. I can usually buy a 6-pack for much less than I can find anywhere else. My initial purchase of the plug-ins was at PetCo or PetsMart, and they were EXPENSIVE! I was desperate, so I bought them.

Here's another recent thread about Feliway you might find interesting. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205543
post #4 of 21
I love it. But you HAVe to use it consistantly meaning when it runs out after 4 weeks, immediately replace it. I've seen the difference between using one diffuser and two diffuser in my one bedroom apartment. It is about 800 sf, but I don't think the circulation is the best so I have one diffuser in the living room and another in my bedroom. I have four cats. It keeps my Alpha Merlin from pickling on easy going Whimsey and has brought semi-feral Magic out of his shell such that he is playing both with me and the other cats even thought he still doesn't want to be touched.
post #5 of 21
I've purchased Feliway from Amazon before. They seem to have the best price.

It lasts about 4 weeks. Make sure you check into the square footage that one diffuser covers, then plan how many you need/where to locate them.

I have one unhinged/aggressive kitty - first I tried Feliway, then I tried Amitriptyline, & graduated up to Buspar which has solved her behavior problems. Once we got settled in - I took her off Buspar & only occasionally do I need to start her on meds again.
post #6 of 21
Has anyone used it when picking up new kittens/cats from the shelter or a breeder? Would it help ease their possibly first time in a car or just first time traveling?

Melanie
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKalamata View Post
I've heard some positive things about Feliway on this forum. Although I'm not thrilled with the idea of using artificial pheromones to solve a behavior issue, the situation with one of our cats has gotten out of hand. He wants to kill the other cats, at least the other male (he's neutered, don't worry) - and we humans get injured in the "crossfire".

So, I'd like to know more about Feliway...

Would it help an aggressive cat like ours?
Do you have to get it from the vet? How expensive is it? How long does it last?
How do you use it? Where do you put it?
What are your experiences with Feliway?

Thank you; this forum is always full of good answers!
Well, Feliway is great, but no magic pill - why is he like this? What is going on? You need to take care of the underlying issue here - Have you taken him to the vet? Is he in pain? If this is a sudden change of behavior, what caused it? We need more details here.... What happened?
This cat might need something else besides Feliway -

Here is the plug-in and the refill (free shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000WHUOEI

Here is the refill (buy 2 for free shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000HHM5QS

Here is the Spray:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00076NPC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkImager View Post
Has anyone used it when picking up new kittens/cats from the shelter or a breeder? Would it help ease their possibly first time in a car or just first time traveling?

Melanie
Absolutely - I use the spray every time I ride with them on the car, or pick on up on the rescue, or go to the vet etc...
I spray the carrier, the car, my clothes and the vet exam table...
post #8 of 21
It has been a godsend in our lives. Jack is very much an alpha male and also never learned cat manners. He plays very rough. Harley is the complete opposite. He is submissive and won't fight back. Feliway has definitely mellowed Jack in the last 4 months. I know when its time to change by Jack's behavior. Ours last 4 weeks tops--I use two diffusers in our 1700 sq ft home. I have one in our bedroom upstairs and one downstairs in the living room.

Leslie
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
Well, Feliway is great, but no magic pill - why is he like this? What is going on? You need to take care of the underlying issue here - Have you taken him to the vet? Is he in pain? If this is a sudden change of behavior, what caused it? We need more details here.... What happened?
This cat might need something else besides Feliway -
It's no sudden change in behavior...this is simply how he is...just as some people are vicious and hateful towards others, so is this cat (towards other cats, but he will hurt any person who tries to stop him from killing said other cat). I'm not looking for a "magic pill" - this cat is already kept separate from the others, either outdoors or in a closed room. We just have problems transporting him between the two...if he catches a glimpse of the other male while being carried inside/outside, he freaks (resulting in serious injuries to us humans). The ideal solution would be to put the other cat in a bathroom while he's being moved around, but sometimes that's a challenge.

I'm thinking maybe we could spray the Feliway on ourselves when we transport him from place to place, and perhaps keep a diffuser in the room he spends most time in. We might try using a carrier to transport him...maybe that could be sprayed with Feliway, too?

How long does a diffuser last?
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKalamata View Post
It's no sudden change in behavior...this is simply how he is...just as some people are vicious and hateful towards others, so is this cat (towards other cats, but he will hurt any person who tries to stop him from killing said other cat). I'm not looking for a "magic pill" - this cat is already kept separate from the others, either outdoors or in a closed room. We just have problems transporting him between the two...if he catches a glimpse of the other male while being carried inside/outside, he freaks (resulting in serious injuries to us humans). The ideal solution would be to put the other cat in a bathroom while he's being moved around, but sometimes that's a challenge.

I'm thinking maybe we could spray the Feliway on ourselves when we transport him from place to place, and perhaps keep a diffuser in the room he spends most time in. We might try using a carrier to transport him...maybe that could be sprayed with Feliway, too?

How long does a diffuser last?
Oh, ok... Souds like Nat's Ophelia Rose, but worst
I would keep a diffuser always on on his favorite room, and yes, definitely spray the carrier and your clothes....
Take a look at "rescue remedy" as well - you can get it at GNC - a few drops on his water on the day you need to transport him can help also.
Have you discussed Prozac with your vet?
ETA: In my experience the diffusers last a little less than a month - give and take a few days...
post #11 of 21
I love me some Feliway. One of my cats has routinely pooped in the hall. The same exact spot, all the time. My parents put up with it.. But since they passed away and I took over corralling the kitties, I've been sick to death of it. We've vetted him, changed litter, added new litterboxes, tried everything but asking him in Chinese while balancing on the head of a pin.. Finally, We got a diffuser about a week and a half ago, and while I've noticed a lack of poo in the hall (and chalked it up to roomie getting there first...) I just saw him pooping in the litterbox about ten minutes ago. AND we just got a new kitten, and he likes her more with each passing day - On day one of integration (day four or so of Feliway), he was Not Pleased, and we're on day four now and he's grooming her.

While I don't know if it can solve -your- problem, it's made my house a more lovely place. Now I can get new carpet
post #12 of 21
The diffuser lasts about 30 days (1 month) and covers an area of something like 600 sq ft.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
I buy mine online from EntirelyPets.com. http://www.entirelypets.com/ They usually have some kind of sale going on, or are offering free shipping. I can usually buy a 6-pack for much less than I can find anywhere else. My initial purchase of the plug-ins was at PetCo or PetsMart, and they were EXPENSIVE! I was desperate, so I bought them.


I purchase mine from Entirelypets.com, too!
I initially found them via Amazon.com while I was researching the product.
My current vet sells both diffuser & refills, too - they are little cheaper than those pet stores but Entirelypets are still lot cheaper than anywhere else.
I highly recommend this store

Oh and I absolutely recommend Feliway. I've both diffuser & spray.
Diffuser is on in my apartment 24/7. I use spray once in a while, though.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
My initial purchase of the plug-ins was at PetCo or PetsMart, and they were EXPENSIVE! I was desperate, so I bought them.
How much was it at Petsmart? That is where we'll probably get it from, at least to start with.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKalamata View Post
How much was it at Petsmart? That is where we'll probably get it from, at least to start with.
If I remember correctly about $30...
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Wow, that is a lot (at the moment, I'd rather buy from a local store than online).

I wonder if it could be diluted or turned on for only part of the day? Surely something is better than nothing, right? Does it only come in one size?
post #17 of 21
It is very expensive initially. It's a wall plug in thing, so you can unplug it when you want, nut you need to run it consistently to get the desired effects.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKalamata View Post
Wow, that is a lot (at the moment, I'd rather buy from a local store than online).

I wonder if it could be diluted or turned on for only part of the day? Surely something is better than nothing, right? Does it only come in one size?
Yeah... the link I posted on page one is much much cheaper than that, and free shipping... It can not be diluted and it should be plugged in constantly. It comes only in one size.
One way to save is to get a bundle of refills - like a six pack:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000CPAV3O
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKalamata View Post
How much was it at Petsmart? That is where we'll probably get it from, at least to start with.
I just bought it today at our PetSmart - $50!! And I know I saw it at another local pet store for $35 but we bought it pretty urgently. I will order refills online, that's for sure
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerapple View Post
I just bought it today at our PetSmart - $50!! And I know I saw it at another local pet store for $35 but we bought it pretty urgently. I will order refills online, that's for sure
Oh my...
How much is a refill? If a refill is half that, we're talking over $300 a year! Crazy!
post #21 of 21
It's way cheaper if you buy online basically. I totally would've bought it on Amazon - under $20!!!! - but I needed it immediately. Not sure how much the refill was at PetSmart. It did seem that the mom and pop pet stores sold it much cheaper than PetSmart. May be good to call around and price shop before you buy. Or see what your vet says about these things (if they would help in your situation).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Feliway?