New Cat in Town

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...Sort of anyway. I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks already, but hadn't registered due to laziness on my part, but I've finally decided to get my lazy fingers moving, so here I am~!

I'm new to cats. The most interaction I've had with cats was rescuing and adopting out a litter of kittens when I was a child, and when I went over to friends' houses, and they had cats. But I've always had a variety of other pets: turtles, fish, birds, rodents, frogs, newts and dogs. I currently have two budgies, three turtles, a pigeon, and of course my kitty.

Here's my kitty story...

I only recently got a cat (who's sitting on my lap and resting his head on my arm, making it difficult for me to type this). To be precise, I got my three year old American Short Hair tabby only about three months ago. I didn't adopt him from a shelter, but someone I know had a friend who couldn't keep his cat anymore and so the kitty came my way. I mean, I had a zoo already, so what was one more? I didn't know anything about the cat but I didn't mind anyway. Fighting my mother (who's a BIG cat hater) tooth and nail to keep him, I managed to give him a permanent home. His previous owners named him Ame (it means 'Rain' in Japanese). Being such a temperamental cat with an attitude, I renamed him to Sho (meaning to fly or to soar, also Japanese). I thought it suited him more since he's definitely more free-spirited.

It didn't take me long to realize, "Oh crap, I'm allergic to cats." Go figure, huh? But eventually, my allergies went away in two weeks. But anytime I'm away for more than two days and return home, the allergies kick in for a few days.

Although I haven't had Sho for long, I've already spent well over $3000 on vet bills (UTI and blockage that had to get him sent to the emergency room and placed under intensive care). I don't mind, but it's been hard since I'm a poor college student.

I love my adorable furball. Although he plays a little too roughly sometimes, and pees on my bed because his bladder's inflamed, and goes through the trashcan, I still love him. If only the rest of my family could love him too...

Anyway, that's my story. =) I hope to meet more people here and learn more about my little temperamental feline.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

Some say that wiping the cat down with a damp cloth on a regular basis (or when you've been away for a few days) can help the allergies a lot. You're allergic to the dander on his fur, which is composed of proteins deposited there while he's bathing himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Welcome to TCS.

Some say that wiping the cat down with a damp cloth on a regular basis (or when you've been away for a few days) can help the allergies a lot. You're allergic to the dander on his fur, which is composed of proteins deposited there while he's bathing himself.
Thank you for the welcome! Yeah I know, but it doesn't really bother me enough for me to have to wipe him down. He hates being wiped down. I'd rather suffer through some sneezing and a runny nose than irritate him. He's still getting used to me. I'd rather not get a claw in me. Or worse, very sharp teeth.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
Milky
y Horacio
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina ,Milky & Horatio say hello to you!!!...
)

Please feel as you home here, we can learn so much and deep about out kittys in this marvelous site, I just only please ask you read the rules and other stuffs that can help you to feel as you Real home!..
here you have the link my friend.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

Please ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireness Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad that you join us!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the welcomes! ^-^

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to our community,

Sho is fortunate that you, with your kind spirit, have taken him under your wing.

I love his photo and can see why you feel in love with him...
he is one very handsome Tabby.

Please make yourself at home.