Help on getting a warranty claim covered

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 18 months ago DH bought a new brand name and expensive chain saw.

This is our second chain saw by the same manufacturer as we have a much older one.

It probably has about 10-12 hours of use on it. Last week DH couldn't get it started. He took it apart and couldn't see the problem. So yesterday he took it to the shop he purchased it from. It has a scorched cylinder and something else related. The shop owner said this probably won't be covered under warranty and could have happened due to using old gas. Evidently this is a stock answer to all chainsaw problems.

But the much old one (over 25 yrs old) hasn't ever had this problem and my husband has owned and used chain saws over 30 years and wouldn't be foolish with maintenance.

Any ideas (we are waiting for the warranty answer) to get this claim paid under warranty vs shelling out probably $300 for repair?? I'm going to check out their website and cruise the internet looking to see if anyone had similar claims??

Thanks!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just took cover off to expose the inner workings and check the spark plug. Nothing crucial or involved.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would email the company that made the chainsaw.

I had a warranty issue with a set of tires awhile back and none of the shops around here would acknowledge it so I took pictures, put the pictures on photobucket, and emailed the manufacturer about the extremely poor service that I had received at its stores. After a few phone calls from company headquarters and regional headquarters, I got a new set of tires.

Sometimes, you have to go to the top with things.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally what I do in situations like this is pitch a fit. We dont buy those warrenties and extra coverage for nothing. We do it so that way if we have a problem there is a hassleless way to fix it!! There should be no reason where if something happened to that saw that they shouldnt replace or fix it. Even if all the need to do is have it mailed out and send you a replacement or whatever! I swear companies are just out to give us all headaches and heart burn!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had a problem with our printer and I emailed all the people on the website telling them my issues (this was after being treated so poopy over and over with their customer service center) with one big mass email and finally got ONE person to listen, and we got a refurbished printer that actually half way works, but it's better then being pooped on I guess. I know I won't be buying their products anymore since I can't say the name I'll just say it's the one with the cheap ink...if you want to know the name pm me and I'll tell you happily..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Like most things, taking it apart probably voids the warranty regardless
Originally Posted by GailC

He just took cover off to expose the inner workings and check the spark plug. Nothing crucial or involved.
I don't think it matters that only a part was taken off. Tampering with it in anyway usually negates the warranty. It's outlined in most if not all warranty guidelines.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

I recently had a problem with our printer and I emailed all the people on the website telling them my issues (this was after being treated so poopy over and over with their customer service center) with one big mass email and finally got ONE person to listen, and we got a refurbished printer that actually half way works, but it's better then being pooped on I guess. I know I won't be buying their products anymore since I can't say the name I'll just say it's the one with the cheap ink...if you want to know the name pm me and I'll tell you happily..
Why be stickly with the name? Tell the world! Maybe they will change the way they do business if enough people get pissed off...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we haven't heard anything yet. When we dropped off our truck for some service tonite Neil asked the shop owner if he had heard of our problem and suggestions.

He said-just an FYI for those who have to mix gas in small engines-don't use any with ethanol mix! But since the warranty never specified this we should be ok.

And as to us taking apart the saw. Most people who own chainsaws do routine maintenance so isn't any problem with voiding the warranty. Evidently the chamber got too hot and melted the piston head.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

Why be stickly with the name? Tell the world! Maybe they will change the way they do business if enough people get pissed off...
I would but I think that'd get the forum in trouble...I can pm it to you...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most warrenties are only for a year. You can try sending a certified letter to the company explaining what you did and the time period. But like the one poster says - the company may deny it due to you taking the cover off. You know companies will get out of honoring warrenties whenever they can.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BF had a problem with his chainsaw and I couldnt tell you the specifics of what happened because it gave me a headache him talking about power tools which I know NOTHING about. But either way when he went and bought it he spent and extra 15 bucks for extended warrenty coverage and all that jazz and within a month the thing broke. The company tried to get out of it because of his routine maintenance like changed spark plugs, and replacing the chain. So he made me read all the fine print and the whole warrenty thing and put me on the phone with the company. After the PITA crap I went thru reading the warrenty, then the hoops and dances I had to do to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about I was quite irritated. But after all the crap it was worth it because basic maintenance which you HAVE to do to keep the machine from breaking isnt something that voids the warrenty. We ended up with a brand spanking new chain saw and an extra year on the extended warrenty which is great because we have a wood stove and are constantly cutting wood all year round!!!
Anyways I would read every letter of the fine print of the warrenty and make sure that anything and everything he did is covered under basic maintenance because it shouldnt void the warrenty whatsoever!! They should atleast replace or fix the saw thru the warrenty! If they say no PM me the info and a phone number Ill get it fixed for you!! :eek:) Im customer services worst nightmare when something bad happens to my appliances!! I dont take their crap!