Sick of weight loss commercials

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting really sick of Marie Osmond telling us all how much weight she and her friends lost on Nutri System.
OMG! No wonder we women have such a complex about our bodies. There are kids 6 and 7 years old who say they are on a diet! What are we doing? When will the madness stop?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with ya there. Im so sick of all those weight loss commercials. Personally I just like to spite them all and go for a candy bar or some chips just to say HA eat those Marie Osmond!!!!! I like the way I am whether Im squishy or not!!

Bring on the squish!! Who likes sharp corners I prefer being rounded around the edges!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I agree with ya there. Im so sick of all those weight loss commercials. Personally I just like to spite them all and go for a candy bar or some chips just to say HA eat those Marie Osmond!!!!! I like the way I am whether Im squishy or not!!

Bring on the squish!! Who likes sharp corners I prefer being rounded around the edges!

It is really sad the effect these commercials have on children. I remember being 8 or 9 and how I wanted nothing but to lose weight, get bigger boobs and look hot like the actresses and models on TV. I am happy the way I am now that I'm older and have a little more sense but it's just sad that I had to think that way at one point in my childhood.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

It is really sad the effect these commercials have on children. I remember being 8 or 9 and how I wanted nothing but to lose weight, get bigger boobs and look hot like the actresses and models on TV. I am happy the way I am now that I'm older and have a little more sense but it's just sad that I had to think that way at one point in my childhood.
I still wish I had bigger boobs but I just buy mine from Victorias Secret..Gotta love the Level 5 miracle bra!!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting really sick of Marie Osmond telling us all how much weight she and her friends lost on Nutri System.
OMG! No wonder we women have such a complex about our bodies. There are kids 6 and 7 years old who say they are on a diet! What are we doing? When will the madness stop?
The madness will stop when the media stops putting so much emphasis on being skinny as a rail. I remember a show a couple of years ago called "The Swan" They gave all these ladies liposuction, boob jobs, new teeth and hair extensions. They always looked the same! Wonder what they look like now?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nine year old neice thinks she is fat.
She also wants her skin to be white...(her dad is from Trinidad so she is mulatto(sp)) Its so sad.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

She also wants her skin to be white...(her dad is from Trinidad so she is mulatto(sp)) Its so sad.
OMG the creamy cocoa skinned people have the most beautiful complexion ever, IMO! (I really hope I haven't offended anyone with that description...don't really know how else to describe it, but I really do think the mulatto (as Natalie said) people's skin is absolutely gorgeous.)

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sick of commercials, period. 99.9% of them either don't have anything to do with the product, or else they are so stupid that you don't want to buy the product anyways. For instance, I haven't ate at a fast food restaurant for over 7 years because the commercials are so stupid and I don't want to support stupidity. Weight loss commercials are some of the worst. I can't stand them. The people who come up with them deserve to be locked in a portable toilet which is then set on fire.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 10 or 11 when Brooke Shields was doing her "nothing gets between me and my Calvin's" commercials. I remember moving a chair in front of my dresser just so I could see my butt in the mirror to see if it looked like hers. Now, I was 11! Of COURSE it didn't look like hers..especially in the little kid (mainly boy) jeans I had to wear. Yeah, like my parents were going to get me Calvin's when I was a preteen.

I got on diet pills when I was around 12 and basically stopped eating. I really don't think I was anorexic and definitely not bullimic because I didn't purge. I just starved myself for about a week, then ate everything in sight.

I straightened myself out during high school and college and into my early 30's...then my body just change. It was like it shut down. I didn't change my eating habits but I was packing on the weight. Most of it, I thought, was getting older and dealing with stress (taking care of mom, new job which involved sitting on my butt, etc). Finally after a few years I found out it was my thyroid. I HIGHLY recommend before getting any weight loss formula, diet (except for a healthy, well balanced diet), get your thyroid checked out. I haven't really changed my eating habits...well, a little healtier I guess, since I'm acutally hungry now...I've dropped weight where I can actually wear jeans that were in the goodwill bag. I never thought I would fit in them again. In fact, they are falling off of me. And, I feel great!! So much more energy!!

Long post, I know, but I really think women have to find out the cause of the weight gain before they start diets or take drugs they find on TV. There IS no quick fix if your body isn't balanced as it is.

And some people are completely healthy and happy just the way they are, and as long as they are healthy more power to them! But, if someone doesn't feel well and they are overweight they need to go to the doctor first before ordering something advertised on TV or order online to find out the underlying cause.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as it sells (weight loss "miracles"/fast food/etc.), our society will continue to be bombarded.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My nine year old neice thinks she is fat.
I kind of feel her there... I'm the opposite though. I have Irish in me so I'm PALE. All my life I just wanted to be a color. lol! During the summer I sometimes go to the tanning beds. I get a few shades darker, but not very tan. It really depresses me. I never noticed until someone made fun of me in high school. That was like 10 years ago.... I still can't get past it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess we are all pretty much in the same boat. Well, yea, I could loose 35 lbs. But I just got soooo sick of going to picnics over the summer and not being able to eat. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, and I could have had that cupcake today. I am healthy, active and feel fine. I guess age brings wisdom that I am ok with me. Oh, I have to go now, my jelly toast is ready! PS, I mute ALL commercials!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I still wish I had bigger boobs but I just buy mine from Victorias Secret..Gotta love the Level 5 miracle bra!!
Yep, I second that one!

It really is amazing that people STILL haven't clued in on the fact that there is no quick fix to lose weight/get skinny. Oh well, at least they're not spending my money on that crap.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm annoyed by pretty much all commercials. That's why having a DVR is so nice.

As for those meal plan ads - sure they're annoying, but I wouldn't dismiss the plans themselves as being useless. There's a lot of people that do not understand how to eat... or are single men
. I've also heard of people using them to maintain weight because the meals are nicely put together and convenient for those too ill to cook for themselves.

The most annoying ad I seen recently was for those PowerMats. It had it bleeped out like the people were cussing - a lot. Unless their target audience was 15 year old boys who wouldn't be able to go buy those, that was a failure from their marketing. (it would turn me off from buying). I haven't spotted them on tv in several days, though.

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that in today's society we are two opposite extremes. We are going through an obesity epademic and of course there is all the rage to be rail thin. I think that we need to learn a happy medium. Being healthy and physically fit. Curves are beautiful, but being unhealthily overweight isn't good for you. However, neither is being rail thin. Whatever happened to curvy, healthy, feminine bodies? I think that people should live their lives happily and healthily. Ignore the ads that we get bombarded with everyday, because they don't really care about you. All they care about is getting your attention... and your money,

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sick of commercials period! Thank god the only TV I watch is online now, without commercials! That, or DVR. When I was little, on a 30 minute show, there was ONE break for about 3-4 minutes of commercials. Now, it's 3-4 breaks of 3-4 minutes each. Don't believe me? Go to any of the places that stream episodes and tell me how many actual minutes of show. About 21 minutes!

Anyway, I love Nutri System, Jenny Craig, etc.! Why? Because they want you to buy "their" food! Great! How does that teach me how to eat properly? I don't see Weight Watchers commercials....because they teach you "how' to eat, not force you to eat their food. Its worked for me, it's a lifestyle change, not forcing you to eat food that you can't get at the market.

Ok, i'm off my soapbox...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, WW worked for us too. Except, OMG! I had to carry a calculator everywhere we went. Got sick to death of counting. I felt like I was on Sesame Street! Ate sooo many WW dinners and others like them. It got hard to swallow after a while. Started turning back to regular food once in a while and before I knew it.... I forgot to count!
So, I am trying to move on and discover my hidden talents and forget about going nuts about my weight. I am about 35 lbs over what I should be, but I am tall. My BP is low, I am active, helping cut and split and stack wood. So, what the heck. If I was rich, I would run anti-weight loss center ads. I would try to make people feel good about their bodies to counter the constant harping we hear out there. There, I am done.