Trapping for 2nd time?

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Are there any tips on trapping a smart kitty for the 2nd time?

We had trapped Patches in June for her spay but had released her for many reasons (and glad we did - there was another kitten she was taking care of at the time - which we later trapped and got rehomed).

We borrowed a Havahart trap, cleaned it with bleach. We've had it outside for a week and put where we feed her, had it open held with a twistie tie so she eats right by it. Last night we set it with tuna. She came like usual, investigated it, then left. I know she has to remember the trap for when she was captured and also when her 4th kitten was trapped.

Should we try with tuna tonight or head straight for the KFC chicken? She will be hungrier tonight.

Should we try to camouflage the trap - put a blanket or something around it - so she doesn't 'see' it's the evil trap?

If this doesn't work, we have to do the Elmer Fudd drop style trap which will be a bit challenging. I'm really hoping we get her inside before Halloween...

If she's scared of the trap, do you think it'd be possible to rig something up like put food in a cat carrier then somehow shut it on her?? She does get about 1 foot away from me now when I sit outside and feed her. Has anyone had luck doing it that way???

Or maybe I need to buy Feliway too and spray the trap with it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a friend who rigged his large carrier with a monofillament line. He ties it to the door, loops it inside and through one of the holes on the side of the carrier. He drapes the line over a chair to keep it up off the ground (so the cat wouldn't walk into it).

Then he holds the end of the line (it is about seven feet long) and waits for the cat to go into the carrier. When he pulls on the line, he has to hold it tight until he can get to the carrier to close the door. He has to work fast because the cats tend to spring for the door and can push it open before he gets there.

He was not able to sit closer than six feet away, so this should work for you. It takes a lot of patience and waiting for the cat to go into the carrier. But is has worked many times for him.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update - Bad news is that I'm scared we're regressing with her. We are not sure she came around last night - or if she did, she again completely ignored the trap. I'm really worried I blew her trust and also that she will stop coming to the house to eat permanently out of her fear of this trap now since she remembers it.

I think I need to take a few steps back and do this slower - maybe I rushed this too much. Maybe we didn't have the trap out long enough for her to get used to eating in it. I think I will not set it tonight but start over by putting food near trap and doing that process again of putting food farther in trap (when it's not set) but making sure I do not over rush it. If that doesn't work I can look into borrowing a drop trap.

Ondine: Thank you for the cat carrier info!! We may have to look into that. Does it make the cats totally fear the cat carrier or is he able to trap them multiple times using that way? (I'm thinking of further down the road when she gets inside and we need to bring her to the vet for a 2nd/3rd/etc check-up.)

Thanks everyone!

catmanmew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey killerapple... I'm pretty new to all this stray/ferral cat stuff as we just got our Mom & 3 kittens this past May when they moved under our deck... when I got ready to have them spayed/neutered, I went to the shelter one-week early & set all of the traps up to stay open... then I put an old piece of carpeting in the bottom & threw a towel over it... within minutes thet were going into them & playing on top & sleeping in them at night!.. of course, it was easy to leave them out 24/7 enclosed in our garage...

At the end of the week, I was able to simply push them into the traps & close the door... of course they weren't thrilled, but it was way easier... & to our surprise, after we brought them home they would STILL sleep in the traps (except for the Mom) until I returned them...

Long story short, I'm sure if you take your time & she learns that is can be a "safe place" (towel, carpeting, etc) thru time & patience you'll get ger trust back... good luck & don't rush is what I am learning...

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend was able to trap and re-trap his cats this way. Some because they were dumb! None of them fear the carrier but he pretty much leaves it out 24/7, so its part of their landscape.

I agree that if you can make either the carrier or the trap feel like a safe haven, it will make things easier. It sounds like maybe she's just too wary, so its going to take a lot of patience.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I truly sympathize with you and your trapping issues. I tried trapping a stray/feral cat for months. He avoided the trap and refused to eat, just like Patches. So I tried a drop trap, it worked like a charm, except before I could cover it with a blanket, he shot right out of the top. I thought I would never see him again. He was back a few hours later so I just took a very slow approach. Sitting next to him while he ate, not trying to touch right away, and then last January when it was cold, he just decided to come inside. He was still very scared and would not let me touch him, but he was inside and was safe.

Perhaps the fact that Patches lets you get close to her might work to your advantage. I hope you can get her soon.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! We moved the trap away from her eating area (just on the other side of porch - still visible) and she came for dinner, cautious. I was able to sit outside and again make the trail of food and have her get about 1.5 feet away. Glad I didn't blow all of that progress!!

I bought an off-brand cat calming spray - we'll see if this helps.

Hmmmmmm I may go out tomorrow and get a bigger cat carrier (just to be sure) and the wire and have my husband build this with me. We may have better luck with something brand new that she is not skeptical of.

I'll keep you posted.
This is definitely not as easy as it was with her the first time or her kittens!

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't let the "regression" bother you too much. Everytime I see a definite step foreward in my own cat project, setbacks usually ensue. I simply look back to where I was last month and then can see the real progress that has been made. If after taking stock of the situation you decide to back up and develope a plan B, do it. I have been as cautious as you seem to be. It is working for me. I bet it'll work for you.
I need to get my project (Marlow) to the vet this week or next. This is a self imposed deadline. Will I get it done? Maybe. If not, plan B.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are a few of my tricks for "trap savvy cats" First, best bait, KFC chicken (fried not grilled) pulled off the bone. Second, in front of the trap just a small and i mean small amount of catnip sprinkled on the ground (removes reservations if you only use a pinch) anymore than a pinch, you will have an aggressive cat in the trap.

Place thin layers of newspaper on the wire floor. If the cat has been to the vet, it well remembers the feel of the wire of the cage under her paws and that is enough to stop anyone. If you put something like carpet there, you defeat the purpose of trapping because the door won't spring.

Another trick is to set a small mirror in the very back of the trap. The cat sees a reflection of another cat in the trap going after her food, and she is after him like a shot! I am not talking a purse-sized mirror, but a larger piece of mirror that sets in the back.

If you have a double-door trap- take the one door off and replace it with a piece of plexi glass. Drill holes in the sides of the plexi and attach to the trap with cable ties. It gives the illusion of freedom- the cat sees beyond the trap and figures it is an escape hatch and goes in-

Good luck

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update. Patches has been very weary of the trap (she has not forgotten, even with KFC lures and catnip), so we started over getting her gradually comfortable to the trap again. We got her used to eating outside of it, then she got used to eating the first couple of inches inside, then having a couple paws inside to eat farther in. Last night she had most of her body in the cage to eat except her butt sticking out. She did not go in to eat the kibbles near the plate, but this is big progress. We spray the cage with the calming spray an hour before feeding and line it with paper towels or newspaper - trap is open but held with plastic ties so it will not trip. So hoping to get her to eventually eat near the plate, so we can get her used to eating past the plate... It's going slow but I think there is progress. I REALLY want her in before Halloween but I am not sure that is possible at this rate. I don't want something to happen to her that night.

I will keep you posted!

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no dought she remembers the trap, try putting a blanket on the back of it where the food is , you might have to go with a different kind of trap try this link for an idea of one http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/new...-10/nycfcc.htm

Originally Posted by killerapple

Hi everyone,

Are there any tips on trapping a smart kitty for the 2nd time?

We had trapped Patches in June for her spay but had released her for many reasons (and glad we did - there was another kitten she was taking care of at the time - which we later trapped and got rehomed).

We borrowed a Havahart trap, cleaned it with bleach. We've had it outside for a week and put where we feed her, had it open held with a twistie tie so she eats right by it. Last night we set it with tuna. She came like usual, investigated it, then left. I know she has to remember the trap for when she was captured and also when her 4th kitten was trapped.

Should we try with tuna tonight or head straight for the KFC chicken? She will be hungrier tonight.

Should we try to camouflage the trap - put a blanket or something around it - so she doesn't 'see' it's the evil trap?

If this doesn't work, we have to do the Elmer Fudd drop style trap which will be a bit challenging. I'm really hoping we get her inside before Halloween...

If she's scared of the trap, do you think it'd be possible to rig something up like put food in a cat carrier then somehow shut it on her?? She does get about 1 foot away from me now when I sit outside and feed her. Has anyone had luck doing it that way???

Or maybe I need to buy Feliway too and spray the trap with it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks - yeah, the drop trap is something we may have to consider if she doesn't go for the Havahart again.

We did not see Patches at all on Halloween night. I was VERY happy when I saw her outside the front door last night though!! So she is ok! Whew!

Should we try putting the cage in the bushes or something? I haven't tried that yet. We will be buying sardines and more tuna for when we are closer to trying to trap. She eats further in the cage, but she is not going in all of the way yet, so we haven't set it again yet.

I'll keep you all posted. Maybe this week will be the week...

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We finally talked to neighbors and got info on Patches!! This has been a long time coming but people aren't outside as much anymore this time of year.

Turns out Patches has been around for a couple years. A few different people have fed her off and on. Our next door neighbors fed her for about 2 months until the husband put a stop to it. During that time, she had a litter of kittens they all watched grow up - they'd see her walk across the street with them etc. One in that litter died, the others whereabouts are not known. I guess no one had thought to get her spayed and no one tried to get her inside at that time.

So it's good to have some background on her!! They don't know where she came from though - whether she was dumped, etc.

Is 2 years outside an important factor? Or is socialization really up to the individual cat? I think she's gotten a LOT more comfortable around me than since June - in June, she'd be a yard away from me. Now, she'll be a couple feet away. Not sure if her protecting her babies made her more fearful of me.

Anyways, I'll keep you all posted, if anyone is reading.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We almost got her tonight. My stomach is in knots!!! Came home from dinner and she was on front porch - she stretched, walked towards driveway and stared at us pulling in driveway.

Husband and I went out and set trap - she watched in bushes nearby. I lined trap with paper towels, put a gross trail of sardines, then waited inside. She only ate 1/3 way in trap, then walked away.

I went back with some dry food - she was on driveway. I put a path of dry food towards the rest of the sardines she hadn't touched. Went inside. She went back and investigated - ate some more. Then she walked away, all the way towards mailbox.

I grabbed the catnip, went back outside, put some catnip on front of paper towels, put MORE dry food to rebuild that path. She was almost trotting towards me. Threw some kibbles, she got closer. Went inside and watched. This time - she slowwwwwly went in more.. and more..... and more...... stretching herself out (nervous). 2 feet, then 3.... then finally 4... my heart is pounding!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably 1 more inch and we would've had her. Then she starts backing up, a claw gets stuck in paper towel. She swats it off, backs up. Eats more food. Then goes away.

DARNIT! But soooo close. I am more confident we can get her with the Havahart now.

She was less nervous with paper towels than newspaper (we had trapped her 1st time with newspaper) but I didn't like how she got her claw stuck in it.

Well, cross your fingers tomorrow night is more fruitful. We are so close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ink

Keeping fingers crossed that you catch her.
Thank you

Went ahead and made a Friday morning vet appointment in case tonight (or tomorrow night) is successful!!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ink

Any luck catching her?
No
Last night was nowhere near as close as 2 nights ago.

Will try again tonight - very frustrating!!! The only good thing is that this means she didn't eat much last night so maybe she'll be more desperate.

Thanks for asking!!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I GOT HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And was very close to giving up for the night.
I did exactly what I did 2 nights ago - paper towels, catnip, kibble and sardines. (Tuna was last night's variable - didn't work.) She again went in almost completely but she backed up. I went back, put catnip also near trigger, put a bit more sardines and kibble to make a new path, then left. Again, she went, but not far enough.
I was very upset and felt defeated. I asked my husband if I should try again. He kinda shrugged, like 'if you want to....' so I did... this time, I made 'distracter' kibbles, as I called them - kibbles that were more to the side, not in a straight line, to get her distracted away from the plate in her vision, but more looking towards side.
BINGO! that worked.
I was very worried she had hurt herself because she had flipped over - (belly exposed) when I went out to put blanket over her. She is very quiet and in the garage. We thought this was safest and it's not too cold for her to be there.
Tomorrow morning is vet appointment. I am crossing my fingers that her bloodwork tests are negative. The lady on phone made it sound like if she has anything transmittable, it could get spred through coughs or paws through under door so I just hope tomorrow goes well so she can go to spare room afterwards.
I'm sure I'll have a new thread tomorrow.
Thanks all!!!! I'm so happy

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh thats wonderful! I'm so glad you got her
Now life can be better for you both.