Tiger Update

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I wish I had good news. She is hanging in there, but the vet trip was very difficult. He talked to me about the fact that she stoped eating & that she is still so yellow & said, "Her liver is shot. At this point you need to decide if you want to go big & spend all kinds of money on her, or just humanely euthanize her. How many cats could you spay or neuter for the amount of money you would spend on this cat?" It was at that point that I started to cry. Which made him feel like a total jerk. He appologized for being so harsh. He said that when they had treated her (I think it was 2 or 3 days) she got better was eating, was no longer yellow & no longer had the head tilt. He said she should be getting better, not going backwards. He feels she may have gotten into something that poisoned her system, she may have some sort of tumor, or she may be past the fatty liver phase into serosis. I almost had him put her down, but decided to have her blood tested & took her home.

So Saturday night she started eating on her own. From 9PM on Saturday to 9AM on Sunday she ate a little over 6 oz of wet food on her own. Then she ate a little when I came home, a little KMR & Baby food before I went to bed, but nothing else over night. So I force fed her before I left this morning to make sure she had something hin her stomache. I don't really know what to think at this point. I do not have blood test results yet, but her weight has held steady over the last week - week & 1/2

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for keeping us updated on Tiger, though I am sorry it is not better news. Whatever happens, the thought to focus on is that, because of you, she knows what it is to be loved.

Let us know what the bloodwork shows.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, i really don't know what to think about that vet. neither decision is right or wrong, but you should have the choice to make that decision. Thank you for what you are doing. I think it is a very positive sign that her weight hasn't changed and that she is eating at all.

Keep up the good work, my thoughts and prayers are with you (PS - are you subQing? this should help a bit with nausea, and will help with energy and flushing out the system).

xoxo will be watching this thread

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the benefits of sub q!!!! Thinking strong thoughts for Tiger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so today I have some better news. I am currently waiting for the vet to call me so I can talk to him about some things, but the director called me yesterday to say that her liver values have improved. I am a little angry with the vet because I was ready to put her down because he was so sure her liver had failed completely. I have never been a big fan of this vets office, but now I am even more leary. I was also told the blood work showed some signs of infection, which I could have told him. She clearly has a URI. I have been sub-qing her 2 -3 x a day for a total of 150 - 200 cc's. She's getting amoxi 2x day & Metronidazole 1x a day. In addition I have been giving her an L-Lysine suplement for the URI.

More importantly than the blood work is the fact that she is doing very well. I force fed her before I left for work yesterday, but when I got home she had clearly started eating again. She is still not eating large amounts, but is showing great improvement in appitite & attitude. She really wants out of the bathroom, but I'm not ready as it is a combination of not wanting my cats to get her URI & feeling she is not strong enough if they decide to pick on her. As I told my friend this morning. How she looks & acts right now is worth fighting for, how she looked on a Friday & Saturday was not. Keep those TCS vibes coming, I will hopefully have a chance soon to post some photos of her. Thank you all so much for all your support.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! How I love to start my day with good news! Thanks for the happy update. Well done on saving Tiger.

xo

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Glad to hear she is doing better.

Not so glad to hear about your vet.
Vets are sup[posed to be compassionate at difficult times. What he said to you was a bit over the top in my opinion.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a bunch of for Tiger to keep getting better!!! Poor baby! You're being a great mom and so strong for doing what you believed was the right decision in keeping her going.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Glad to hear she is doing better.

Not so glad to hear about your vet.
Vets are sup[posed to be compassionate at difficult times. What he said to you was a bit over the top in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Foofy Cat Lady

Thank goodness that Tiger ignored the vet and decided to get better!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to do it last night, but got caught up in some other stuff. Now I won't be home for the next 2 nights. I will have to take my camera to my Moms on Friday. I can do it from there.

EDIT: I just realized this doesn't make much sense. I was going to post photos of Tiger last night.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I just stumbled on the correct dry food, but she ate probably 1/2 a cup of dry kitten food last night. She had already eaten 1& 1/2 jars of baby food and 1/2 a can of Meow Mix wet. Don't know if it is enough, but she seems to be eating increasing amounts each day.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I don't know if I just stumbled on the correct dry food, but she ate probably 1/2 a cup of dry kitten food last night. She had already eaten 1& 1/2 jars of baby food and 1/2 a can of Meow Mix wet. Don't know if it is enough, but she seems to be eating increasing amounts each day.
This is so excellent! are you weighing her by any chance?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to weigh her tonight. When I pet her, it feels like she has put a little weight on. I'm not sure if the scale I have will work, but I hope it will.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, finally got my photos down loaded. This was her last weekend. I think she is gaining weight, but the photos aren't the best.

This was her in her bed

Her stading up eating a little bit of food.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, finally got my photos down loaded. This was her last weekend. I think she is gaining weight, but the photos aren't the best.

This was her in her bed

Her stading up eating a little bit of food.
she's perfect.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had a difficult day yesterday. She threw up a couple times. I force fed her 6 tsp of baby food before going to bed & she did eat a little dry food during the night. She did not look good when I went to bed and I was a bit concerned. When I woke up this morning, she greeted me at the door so I was a bit more comfortable. She showed some interest in wet food this morning. I'm not sure what is going on with her liver, but I hope she is gaining weight. The scale I am using is not the best & I'm having a hard time getting an accurate weight.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She had a difficult day yesterday. She threw up a couple times. I force fed her 6 tsp of baby food before going to bed & she did eat a little dry food during the night. She did not look good when I went to bed and I was a bit concerned. When I woke up this morning, she greeted me at the door so I was a bit more comfortable. She showed some interest in wet food this morning. I'm not sure what is going on with her liver, but I hope she is gaining weight. The scale I am using is not the best & I'm having a hard time getting an accurate weight.
Thanks for the update! It is really hard to judge weight unless you have a postal or baby scale.... these work down to the ounce though.

Either way, she's going to have good and bad days, it won't happen overnight, Kismet "did not look good" for over 6 weeks during her HL recovery. The fact that the enzymes were improving and that she is showing interest in food and human contact at all are both GREAT signs!! Keep it up and keep us posted