coyote question

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a weird question... i was walking my dog last night and thought I should ask this.

Unfortunately there are coyotes in my county. My dog actually looks like one and the cats come up to her now - not afraid at all.

I know cats are NOT dumb - but, if God forbid a coyote came around - they would sense that danger right (and at a far enough distance)? Not go by sight alone thinking it were my dog? Or get too close and then realize the danger?...

If there were ANY slight chance that could happen - I would keep my dog out of their area from now on.

thanks...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My opinion is that they recognize your dog by smell, not site. When I had a larger feral colony at my last home, those cats definitely knew which of the dogs in the neighborhood were mine and which were not, and we also had coyotes in that area.

But I still use caution, as all of my cats are dog friendly and the only 2 that I let outside (even though I'm in the country) are those that are dog savvy, and have shown me that they know when to escape from a strange dog.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 100% agree with Amy. I have brought home to foster an identical twin to one of my dogs in terms of looks. My cats FLIPPED & ripped into that dog the same as any new dog. They could smell the difference.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coyotes are excellent at catching cats for food. Your cats' reluctance to come up to them won't be much assistance to them.

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they go by smell and their sences would tell them that this is not the dog they know, so I wouldnt worry

Originally Posted by m935

This is a weird question... i was walking my dog last night and thought I should ask this.

Unfortunately there are coyotes in my county. My dog actually looks like one and the cats come up to her now - not afraid at all.

I know cats are NOT dumb - but, if God forbid a coyote came around - they would sense that danger right (and at a far enough distance)? Not go by sight alone thinking it were my dog? Or get too close and then realize the danger?...

If there were ANY slight chance that could happen - I would keep my dog out of their area from now on.

thanks...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Coyotes are excellent at catching cats for food. Your cats' reluctance to come up to them won't be much assistance to them.
Yep - have lived in California for many years I can testify to that... If you live in the hills and your cats get out.... bye bye.... they are no match for coyotes.... Not cats not small dogs.... No way.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Yep - have lived in California for many years I can testify to that... If you live in the hills and your cats get out.... bye bye.... they are no match for coyotes.... Not cats not small dogs.... No way.
Here's a shocker for you. You have coyotes wandering the streets and alleys (especially alleys) where you live. Delivering to stores at night, I see them all the time.

Experts say there is no city in the lower 48 that doesn't have a significant coyote population.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's a shocker for you. You have coyotes wandering the streets and alleys (especially alleys) where you live. Delivering to stores at night, I see them all the time.

Experts say there is no city in the lower 48 that doesn't have a significant coyote population.
Seriously??? I know in SoCal it was a HUGE problem - all my friends lost cats to coyotes.... if you lived in the hills, in the valley, Bel Air, Westwood (hills)... Lots of coyotes around... But I have never seen them in Dallas... But maybe because I live in the city? not city city... do you think they wonder around highland park?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, they do. And they regularly get cats and small dogs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, they do. And they regularly get cats and small dogs.
OMG - That's awful! Thanks for letting me know, I will keep an eye out on the neighborhood cats now... especially on my neighbors!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a coyote is after your cat, the only evidence the coyote will leave behind is a small pile of fur. That's it, they are quick and the only way I have ever had a cat escape a coyote was by climbing up a tree. How she got up there as injured as she was is anyone's guess. She was dead the next day.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine hate any dog...if they see a dog they make a beeline for anything they can climb up (fortunatly there are lots of things to climp at the farm) or run into the barn. The barn I keep as closed up as possible; the cats know how to climb through the windows, all the small cat sized openings, or how to make a mad dash climbing the straw/hay mow doors.

However they are quite paranoid and will run if they see a dog even if it is almost 1/2 mile away sometimes. They have fast reaction time and I am glad.

There are lots of coyotes around here (rural area) and there is a small pack of wild/feral dogs (3 of them total) that wander around here. The humane soceity still will not go set traps or anything for them - and these dogs have tried to attack 3 people including myself. Also they are not scared at all to go into barns or be outside wandering during the day which makes them a pretty big threat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

there is a small pack of wild/feral dogs (3 of them total) that wander around here. The humane soceity still will not go set traps or anything for them - and these dogs have tried to attack 3 people including myself. Also they are not scared at all to go into barns or be outside wandering during the day which makes them a pretty big threat.
If you can't get them to do something either take it up directly with the city or take it to a local news outlet.

A couple of years ago there was an elderly woman who was attacked and killed in Ada Oklahoma as she went out to get her mail. Two others were attacked when they tried to go to the woman's aid. The dogs, which were running in a fairly good sized pack, had been an issue for a while that was not dealt with.
Were the pack near you to increase in size or decide they found something vulnerable enough (child, elderly, young livestock, etc) they'd have no problem trying to bring it down. Please be careful when you're out if they're around.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only time I go outside at the farm anymore is those few seconds it takes going to and from my car. I'm just really jumpy (especially cause I am only there in the dark)...I hear a dog bark near the barn and I about have a heart attack - yes I am pretty pathetic right now but better jumpy than not at all.

I finally got a reply back from the humane society. I've emailed them a lot before but this "wasn't important enough". I think they'd consider it important if the dogs killed someone or seriously hurt them: I think that if I had not been by my car I would have at least gotten bitten.

Anyway, I am still trying to get them to set some traps. The dogs can be gone for a week at a time so trapping them may be hard. Plus these dogs are basically invinsible...at least half a dozen people have tried shooting them but they get away to fast. If the humane society doesn't do anything for another week or so I may just try poisening them. I want them gone and I want them gone now before they hurt anything (or attack me).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Please don't put out poison. It's a terrible and indiscriminate killer. You could accidentally poison any number of animals - and I'm sure if you found a cat or harmless animal dead you'd probably feel terrible.

Don't just email. Call and show up in person - get as many people in the area as possible to do the same.

Be careful.