OMG! They're safe and BACK!!!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You may remember my post from a few weeks ago regarding the mother + 4 kittens I planned to trap and foster. They totally disappeared for 2 weeks. Well, I got a phone call this morning from the lady who was feeding them--Mama Cat and (only) 3 kittens are back! The fox didn't get them, at least 4 out of 5 of them.

DH is a sweetie--I'm just getting over being very sick all of last week, and can't do much due to exhaustion. He was sick earlier, and still feels worn out, but went and got the first baby. Then, she called again, and I'm now waiting for Mama to arrive.

I had to scurry to clean and sanitize the quarantine room (we have 3 FeLV+ cats, who go in there). I have Baby in the carrier, sitting on the vanity in my bathroom.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful news! Pity of the fourth kitten.

Lets hope somebody spontan adopted him. Such things happen, especielly if one of the kittens in the litter isnt afraid of people. Such is partly individual. I had read somebody telled about this semiferal cat family living in the bushes nearby. One day one of the kittens went into the house, and almost immediately behaved like he was living there.... And of course was allowed to stay.
And the mom and rest of the family?? Perhaps better not to know.

Do I understand you right, you do have now one kitten and the mom, and two kittens are still out?? You can use one of them or both, as bait to try to catch the remaining. Have the carrier with say the mom behind the human trap. Covered from the sides save the opening which is behind the trap: so if they want to come to mom, must go into the human trap.

Tx alot MargeCat and your Husband!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just lost my reply due to PC problem: here's short-hand version, as I'm too tired to blah blah,...etc.:

Mama cat v. young & skinny. Part of tail missing. Hiding. Baby well-cared for. hiding under dresser. Have to trap 2 other kittens later.
not eaten, drunk, littered yet. suppose will later. must be stress.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Mama cat v. young & skinny. Part of tail missing. Hiding. Baby well-cared for. hiding under dresser. Have to trap 2 other kittens later.
not eaten, drunk, littered yet. suppose will later. must be stress.
Yes, it is quite common they dont do their food nor bathroom even two days... - This can happen even with some new bought home cats; not only catched shy semiferales...

When they begin, is usually at the night, when everything is quite and they are alone.

Good luck!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They ate well last night, and used the litter box. I played a little game with "Junior" (the kitten) last night, before bedtime. He's getting used to me. Mama, of course, is still wary, but she'll come around.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent news!

What about the remaining two kittens? How old are they?
Now without their mom they are in greater danger than before. So good if you can catch them as soon it is practically possible.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We trapped the last 2 kittens yesterday--gosh, they are CUTE! I'd say they're about 6-8 weeks old. All look healthy, clean, etc. Did I mention they're CUTE?

All are eating and using the litterbox. I heard they playing with the ball toys that rattle, earlier this morning. They love to hide under the bed (I have them in the guest/sewing room). This was a concern, as my FeLV+ cats, until Sunday, when I locked them out, always went under the bed. I don't want the new cats to pick up the germs (there was some cat fur under there, too). They kept getting in the boxspring. We finally stapled cardboard over the bottom of that, and I went around the bedframe with disinfecting wipes.

There was quite a bit of vomit on the floor this morning. I think it may be the change of wet food/and/or they gobbled it too fast. They've kept down the rest of the food from later in the day.