feline aids?

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What Would You Do if a cat had feline aids and you have 2 other healthy cats?? My mom said just wait till the vet checks sadie but it wouldnt surprise her if sadie has it. My mom told me if she has it then she'll get the other cats shots from getting aids and give sadie a yr and see how she does.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tiffany01

What Would You Do if a cat had feline aids and you have 2 other healthy cats?? My mom said just wait till the vet checks sadie but it wouldnt surprise her if sadie has it. My mom told me if she has it then she'll get the other cats shots from getting aids and give sadie a yr and see how she does.
Feline Aids (FIV) is spread through deep bite wounds. If your cats do not fight, the other cats will not catch it from the affected kitty.

The real danger lies with the FIV + kitty. He is very susceptible to germs and illness. he can live a good quality of life if special care is taken to keep him healthy. He may get sick more often than your other cats, and ALL cats should be kept inside at all times.

I do not recommend the FIV vaccine. In the first place it is not very effective. Secondly, once a cat has been injected with this vaccine, the cat will test positive for FIV, even though he doesn't have it.

Welcome to the forum!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, there is another fatal virus cats can get called Feline Leukemia (FeLV).

this virus IS spread easily through casual contact, and the vaccine IS worth giving to the other cats. Until Sadie has been tested it is best to keep her separate from the other cats, including dishes, water bowls and litter boxes.

The other advice still applies. (keep them all inside etc)

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Feline Aids (FIV) is spread through deep bite wounds. If your cats do not fight, the other cats will not catch it from the affected kitty.

The real danger lies with the FIV + kitty. He is very susceptible to germs and illness. he can live a good quality of life if special care is taken to keep him healthy. He may get sick more often than your other cats, and ALL cats should be kept inside at all times.

I do not recommend the FIV vaccine. In the first place it is not very effective. Secondly, once a cat has been injected with this vaccine, the cat will test positive for FIV, even though he doesn't have it.

Welcome to the forum!
WELCOME to TCS

I agree with Otto on all points. If the cat does have FIV and doesn't fight with the other two cats I'd do nothing, just make sure the affected cat lives a healthy lifestyle with good food and I wouldn't introduce adittional cats to the houeshold.

regards,

Christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadie doesnt have feline L. we already had her tested.

Thanks for the welcome

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
how do you put a siggy up?

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise