1/2 lb. 15 week old kitten - portal shunt?

morgan0702

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased 2 male Maine Coon kittens. Last week at their vet visit, one weighed 4 lbs., the other 1/2 lb. The vet suspects portal shunt which means a blood vessel is bypassing the liver. They are only guessing because he is too small for a blood test or ultrasound. His heart is fine, no worms, no other things such as aids, leukemia, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have been taking him to work with me because he needs frequent small meals. He is also on 2 prescription vitamins.

He is a wonderful kitten and this has been stressful and I just can't find anything on kittens not growing.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Morgan0702

They are only guessing because he is too small for a blood test or ultrasound. His heart is fine, no worms, no other things such as aids, leukemia, etc.
I'm curious as to how you know he is negative for feline leukemia since it requires a blood test to be certain?

Is he gaining weight at all?

I would be in contact with the breeder of the kittens you bought from, and seeing if there is something genetic going on....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, he is 4 months, and 1/2 pound? I just want to make sure this is not a typo... Does he seem "healthy" otherwise?
Whatelse is going on with him? Have you taken him for a second opinion?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morgan0702

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The amount of blood you need to test for aids, leukemia, etc. is very small. You need to take alot of blood for a liver test (according to the vet) and Finnegan is too small. He eats fine, but I never see him drinking water. He has very loose bowel movements, when he has them. He is cold all the time (sugar?) He plays with the other cats.

The breeder has been less than cooperative. I have considered getting a second opinion but was hoping he would put on more weight so they might be able to have more to go by. I've contacted Maine Coon associations and CFF with no response.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Morgan0702

The amount of blood you need to test for aids, leukemia, etc. is very small. You need to take alot of blood for a liver test (according to the vet) and Finnegan is too small. He eats fine, but I never see him drinking water. He has very loose bowel movements, when he has them. He is cold all the time (sugar?) He plays with the other cats.

The breeder has been less than cooperative. I have considered getting a second opinion but was hoping he would put on more weight so they might be able to have more to go by. I've contacted Maine Coon associations and CFF with no response.
If I were you, I would be running off to a second opinion - this cat is 1/8 of the weight of the first cat, I am surprise it is still alive... I urge you to not wait - please take him to another vet right away...
Good luck!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! 1/2 lb? Is he breathing? I think he should have a second opinion like yesterday! This is very very strange.