Pull top food cans

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls get the wet food with the pull top opener. They come running when they hear it. Trouble is when I am making my chili, which is every Saturday for Sunday's lunch, the can the beans come in is pull top too! I open the can and they still come running. After I empty the beans, I let them smell the can and they give me a dirty look saying "Mommy it is not nice to fool us!"

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!!!

My cats have worked out which cans are the cat food ones and which are the fruit/chilli beans. I don't know how? However Elmo still hasn't worked out when the fridge opens, who is getting the tasty morsels.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh brother, I feel guilty of going to the kitchen for anything more than a glass of water
! Yep, Miss Hope comes running no matter where she is....... Tea? She'll be there! Coffee? Too! A late night snack? sure! The girl is insatiable
!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even be anywhere near the kitchen w/o the boys running in to see if Mom has something yummy for them!!! Several have to "inspect" whatever it is that I am eating or drinking... often I get crinkled noses and I tell them - yes, this is not kitty food.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, just going into the kitchen is akin to yelling out "here kitties!" as they both come running to see what they're going to get.

They know the sound of the pull top cans and the the can opener, so it doesn't really matter what we're opening. It's all about them.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carly associates ziptop bags with her treats. She will come running whenever she hears it and is very disappointed when it is dried apples and not her treats.

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cans opening? That's cat food.
Paper plates? Maybe food will happen on it.
Someone in front of the stove? Something's bound to fall.
Sitting down for dinner? Let's see what you've got!

Eating is just not safe here.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can tell who the easy one is around here. I go into the kitchen and maybe Mojo or Ginger will follow. They're usually looking for scritches and know when I'm waiting for whatever I'm making it's the perfect time to get some extra lovin's. But when Earl goes in the kitchen someone yells in kitty-silent-talk, "DAD'S IN THE KITCHEN!!!!" and everyone comes running.
It's been like that since Trent and Ophelia were kittens. He really doesn't give them much when he's in there, but the odds are apparently much better when he's in there rather than when I'm in it.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL!
Rosalie hasn't discovered the sound of the pop top can yet but every time you want into the kitchen, period, she starts asking for food.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine seem to know the difference and know when it is their food or not. However, Riley will come begging anytime someone even looks like they might be walking anywhere near the general direction of the kitchen

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my house, going for the silverware drawer starts the stampede. If Clyde doesn't notice I just catch his eye and wave the spoon and he's off!

jules22871

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. Precious, (totally named that cat wrong,lol) we've had since she was 6 weeks old is a tabby and Prissy whom we've had for 3 years is a long haired cat. The dogs are a Yorkie and a Corgi. Picture this, I have to use crutches to walk. I get up to go to the kitchen, don't even have to open anything, just turn the light on and it's a stampede in there. I have learned to be really acrobatic on those crutches,lol Ought to set up a camera sometime,lol

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah Genever is in the kitchen when I open the cabinet for a can, or if there's an open cab in the fridge she won't come until she hears me get her plate out. Only her plate, not other plates.

Oddly enough, she knows the pull-top noise, but she ALSO comes running if we get the can opener out, and we have never had cat food cans that needed a can opener, so I don't know where she knows that from.

mickeycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Spencer would come running whenever he heard the sound of the refridgerator drawer being opened. That's where we kept the lunchmeat, and Spencey LOVES lunchmeat! He would "help" me make my husband's lunch the night before. I had to watch Spencer very closely....I have caught him more than once stealing a slice of meat....or licking the mayo and mustard off the bread!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mickeycat

My Spencer would come running whenever he heard the sound of the refridgerator drawer being opened. That's where we kept the lunchmeat, and Spencey LOVES lunchmeat! He would "help" me make my husband's lunch the night before. I had to watch Spencer very closely....I have caught him more than once stealing a slice of meat....or licking the mayo and mustard off the bread!
Haha, that's so funny - Elsa has some sort of 6th sense about deli meat. She always seems to know when I'm making a sandwich!

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... That's so cute! My cat Sho doesn't do any of that. He ignores the sound of the pull top cans and dry food containers opening and closing. He'll only come strolling out when I call his name for his meal. He does steal my food occasionally though. >>;