Wow...really?

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Soo last tuesday for my night class I had a test. The first test I got a D on becuase I didnt know what to study. This time around I read all three chapters 2x each, underlining important things and making notes and flash cards. I spent HOURS studying for this ONE test. I took it, felt awesome because I knew almost everything. Found out today....I got a 76 percent....not very happy. I was aiming for at least a B if not an A, as I am trying for straight A's this semester as I want to get into Cornell's grad school. This class is a GE class in geopgraphy, people and places. Im just very frustrated because when you really study and do poorly...it just doesnt make sense. And I have 5 tests this next week and two papers, and I have no time to study....im going to die!! I dont understand how people get all A's. With work, especially the night shifts, horses and 6 classes...im barely making it! Sorry I sound like an over achiever, its just I want this so badly and im discouraged now.
. :
: I just dont know what to do??

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been said, very wisely, that a C student studies part of the book, a B student studies all of the book, and the A student studies the teacher.

Take a look at where the questions came from, when you were given the answers he wanted, etc. Keep that in mind when you study for the next test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I studied the chapters covered in the test, and on her slide show stuff. I have a hard time understanding her as she has a turkish/ bulgarian accent. I wish she would give us the test questions back, but she doesnt. I dunno, its all very frustrating.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you cram for tests, or spread your studying out over several days or weeks? I really think I managed to be an "A" student because of my study habits - 10 or 15 minutes a day over the course of a week spent going over the material, rather than a couple of hours the night before. "Studying" often just consisted of revising/typing up the notes I took in class.

I often recommend that method to my own students, and a great number of them manage to really improve their grades by following it.

Have you asked the teacher if you could come to her office and have a look at the corrected test? Some won't give back tests because they use the same questions over and over again every semester (bad idea), but allow you to see what was right or wrong during office hours.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

I studied the chapters covered in the test, and on her slide show stuff. I have a hard time understanding her as she has a turkish/ bulgarian accent. I wish she would give us the test questions back, but she doesnt. I dunno, its all very frustrating.
I would show up for office hours, and ask if you may go over the questions you missed. Rather than read the chapters several times, I'd study my (or the professor's) lecture notes. If the professor took the time to write something down, then it's probably important. Go to office hours for sure.

6 classes sounds like a lot- are they all 4 credit courses???

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With work, especially the night shifts, horses and 6 classes...im barely making it!
You are overwhelmed and rightly so. You are studying, but you aren't retaining because you are under so much stress with too much on your plate.

How many hours a week do you work? Can you reduce the number of hours?

What about the horses? Is there no on else that can take on the burden of caring for them while you are in school, leaving you free to concentrate on other things?

And 6 classes on top of it all? That's a very heavy load. Many people who have no responsibilities at all other than to go to school have a hard time with that course load. Can you drop a few classes to make the course load more manageable for you? Yes, it will take you a bit longer to get through school, but you will do it with hopefully better grades and a whole lot less stress.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was finally able to do better in math classes because I took a study course at my college. I would highly recommend seeing if your school has any sort of program like that available. I didn't think learning a different way to study would actually help, but it did. It's worth looking into!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im going to talk to her this tuesday in class about the test and see what she suggests. I actually spent several nights studying. Her lecture notes are just a powerpoint where she gets info from the book. I only work like 20 hours a week but this weekend I only did 12 so I could study. I actually talked to one of the bosses about it and he blew me off saying i can either work or not work. Which is also frustrating because I have been there for a good amount of time and all I asked was for them to be considerate of my school time.

I used to re-type my notes, but I always got behind on it since I have so many notes. I am now writting down important things on note cards.
Its only 3 units each class, with one 4 unit so its 19 units which isnt a lot, I have taken 20 units almost every semester. Its just all of my tests are coming up at once and I am having a hard time fitting study time for all. Horses, well I may just stop riding one horse, that I am not paying for and just try and cut back some time, because there is no one to take care of the horses since a lot of girls have left the barn for college. I just didnt expect taking these classes to be so overwhelming, and its too late to drop any without doing damage. My parents dont understand my stress, and get upset when I cant do certain things around the house anymore, and I dont have time for certain things. After this week when all my mid-terms are done, im going to do some serious thinking and planning ahead. I usually have everything organized so I know what is coming up like tests and what not but this time 3 of my 6 classes sprung tests on us with a week or so notice. Did I ever mention I have a hard time saying no to things?
That is probably why I am in this predicament!!!!