Disturbing experience

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't read this if you are very easily upset!

Last night, on my way to Baton Rouge, I saw something in the road. As I got closer, I realized it was an animal. Specifically, a possum.

Keep in mind, I was going 68 mph (truck's governed speed).

It appeared to me that the possum had been hit and was trying to make it to the edge of the road. I may be wrong; it might have been carrying little ones. But I don't think so.

I had a brief argument with myself on whether to dodge it or hit it. I dodged it, but I've been worried that that might have actually been cruel, since if it was injured (it appeared to be dragging its hind legs), it will probably just die by the side of the road, slowly.

I feel like I took the easy way out, but I didn't want to play God, either. For some reason, this has been disturbing me more than I would think is logical.

Maybe I just need more sleep...

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two things to consider. One it my not have been injured that badly and will recover.

Two you could have hit it and it not be a clean kill and just made things worse.

Either way there is no way I could hit an animal in the road on purpose no mater how good my intentions.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Whenever I see an animal injured like that, the images haunt me for days afterward.

For what it's worth, I'm with CheshireCat on this one. Rightly or wrongly, I wouldn't have run the possum over either. You didn't have all the facts, or even the time to make an informed decision.

I hope you feel better tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I didn't hit it. I have never purposely hit an animal; I wouldn't run off the road to miss one (Dottie had a trainer killed that way), but I'm just not capable of it, I guess.

I could never get hungry enough to be a hunter, either, I think.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

No, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I didn't hit it. I have never purposely hit an animal; I wouldn't run off the road to miss one (Dottie had a trainer killed that way), but I'm just not capable of it, I guess.

I could never get hungry enough to be a hunter, either, I think.
If I could help it, I wouldn't have hit him either..... not on purpose.

Like you, if I can avoid hitting an animal on the road, I try to do so.

If the possom was indeed already hurt, I'm sure nature will take its course.... if it wasn't hurt, well then, it's a good thing you were able to miss him

I think you made the right choice Mike, and I'm glad you could do it safely.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had something similar happen several months ago. I was driving home from work on a Friday night, so it was around 1am, and saw an injured skunk next to the curb on the street. No idea what happened to it, but it was dragging itself. Obviously there was no way I could personally help the poor skunk.
Animal control here doesn't do anything on weekends unless it's an emergency, wouldn't have answered the phone that late, and they don't deal with skunks anyways.

It wasn't near the road the next day.
I still feel sorry for the poor thing and guilty that there wasn't anything I could have done.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pests? No, they're a native species and are part of the ecology. They ARE very stupid, and not cuddly, at least once they've grown up. They are almost as bad at crossing roads as armadillos.

(Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the armadillo it could be done.)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Are possums considered pests in the US Mike?

They are here in NZ and there is constant poison laid out for them.
I can answer this for you. We put an O in our name for them, while the only North American marsupial, they're different than the ones you have there (which makes spelling them differently a good idea).

They're cat sized here, tend to have bad tempers, and are a pest (in towns) despite the fact that they don't really carry diseases. People poison, trap, shoot, and intentionally try to run them over.

Personally I think they're rather bumbling and goofy. I've been able to walk right up to a younger one sitting on my in-laws deck before. I held the flashlight out to it and the opossum even leaned over to sniff it.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Pests? No, they're a native species and are part of the ecology. They ARE very stupid, and not cuddly, at least once they've grown up. They are almost as bad at crossing roads as armadillos.

(Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the armadillo it could be done.)
They may be different then ours but Possums are the most dangerous introduced species in NZ. They are one of NZ's greatest threats to our environment (Department of Conservation).

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I can answer this for you. We put an O and an extra p on our name for them, while the only North American marsupial, they're different than the ones you have there (which makes spelling them differently a good idea).

They're cat sized here, tend to have bad tempers, and are a pest (in towns) despite the fact that they don't really carry diseases. People poison, trap, shoot, and intentionally try to run them over.

Personally I think they're rather bumbling and goofy.
Yeah I thought you guys had opossums.

I just did some wiki research and both our possums and your opossums are the size of cats - but your opossums can be smaller too.

We've had cats fight with the possums and they are nasty creatures.

ETA: Possums carry bovine turberculosis here

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could have called the local police dept. We send officers out to put injured animals down several times a day. Usually people just call on deer, but we will send guys out on other seriously injured wildlife as well. Injured domestic animals also tend to count as an emergency situation, so we'll call the on-call animal control officer if it's after hours.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Locally, our Animal Control officers pick up all injured and road-killed animals.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, the poor thing. Pest or not, I couldn't run it over on purpose either. I also agree that I am pretty sure I couldn't hunt and kill and animal either. I can't even watch those hunting shows on tv..I feel sad for the animals.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AWW poor opossum! I wouldn't have intentinally hit it.. I couldn't do that to any animal, not even a skunk. I don't drive, but when I do get my license, I would probably be one of those people who would probably kill myself to avoid hitting an animal, especially if said animal was a cat. I would never be able to live with myself.

I think opossums are really cute! Especially the baby ones. Last week there were 2 baby opossums on my boss' back deck looking for food. I thought they were really cute.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mike, I think you did the right thing. As someone else said, you don't know how badly it was injured (if at all), and if it was still walking it could very well recover. I would be more disturbed to feel the "thump, thump" of running over something. I felt that once, when I was in grade school, when my dad ran over a cat. This was on a busy 2 lane street and the evil people in the truck next to us threw the cat out the window right under our tires so there was nothing he could do. This was over 30 years ago and it still bothers me.

I think Oppossums are cute, especially the babies. But they are VERY bold, at least the ones here are. And, they love cat food. I have had to literally stand guard with a flash light to keep the oppossums and raccoons away so the barn cats could eat their dinner.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have done the same thing. I couldn't run over an animal deadly injured or not. Running over an animal is different than euthanasia where they just go to sleep. It might cause them even more pain for all you know. So IMO it was right to dodge it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mike you're a decent person and of course you wouldn't want to run over an animal on purpose.
There is no justification for deliberately running over animals IMO, even if they are pests. And I know how much damage introduced species do, but still, you should be humane in getting rid of them. Running something over is cruel because of the pain you're causing, and the uncertain results. I've always found it disgusting when people take amusement out of squashing animals on the road - whether it's cane toads or cats, it's still a horrible thing to do.
A couple of days ago I rounded a tight corner and there was a dead animal on the road. I couldn't serve in time to avoid it and ran over it. I knew it was dead already, but I still felt queasy and upset.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt have been able to hit it either. I cant even stand the idea of running over an already dead animal not only because I dont want it getting stuck under my car but to me its just rude to do...I dont even like going to graveyards because I dont want to end up walking over someones grave because I think its rude to do!!!
I think you did the right thing by not hitting that poor animal

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figure a picture speaks a thousand words
I'm a licensed wildlife rehabber specializing in awesome opossums! Possies are the most amazing, loving, trusting animals you'll ever know (ok, except maybe cats
) These piccies are of my baby Bitty who is non-releasable, and she's more snuggly than Sierra or Serenity, believe it or not! Opossums are actually quite intelligent, with an intelligence level above that of pigs. They are extremely nearsighted, their vision designed perfectly for their nocturnal lifestyle. Let's blindfold some people, throw them out in the middle of the road all disoriented and see how well they can dodge the cars! I stop and move every single opossum out of the road that I may come across, bless them, and during baby season, always check pouches to try to save any babies that may have survived. They also move slowly, giving some people the false impression that they aren't very smart and are opportunistic feeders, so yes, if there's cat food around, they consider it a feast!
Opossums are so misunderstood, but once you've loved one, you're never the same. Can you guys tell I'm a little passionate about this?