shotgun home purchase!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend lives in the northeast part of Detroit. Not far from Grosse Pointe.

His home has been broken into a few times over the years and there was a couple of attempted home invasions in the neighborhood fairly recently.

So, everyone exchanged cell phone numbers, etc on his block and they keep an eye on each other's homes.

He is trying to sell his home, but b/c of problems like this there is no sign out front or a lock box on the door that might attract criminals.

The other night he got a message from one of the neighbors that they had scared off someone that seemed to be snooping around the property. He also got a message from the realtor that someone was interested in the house.

When Doug got the whole story it turns out one of the neighbors approached the guy (and his girlfriend) with his shotgun!!!
When they questioned him, he said was interested in buying the house.
Argh!!! Prospective home buyer!!!

The armed neighbor said, you know it's not a good idea to come around checking out a house like this around here this time of evening and explained things. Weeeellllll.... I don't think the guy is gonna be back.

We don't know whether to laugh or cry!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess they won't go snooping around at night anymore

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is rude to snoop around at night, and in Detroit believe me that looks suspicious!

I can only hope that my house is as well guarded by my neighbors when I finally get to move out.

As for me, I would laugh it off and thank my neighbor for being so vigillant. It's not every day that somebody comes to your defense with a shotgun. Not many people are that brave in Detroit.

I would want your boyfriend to move a.s.a.p. It sounds like he lives in a pretty bad part of Detroit.

Edit - Is there any way that this person's "I was just looking to buy the house" was just a reaction? Perhaps he found out that the house was for sale and decided to come see if he could get any goodies?

It's always better to be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

It is rude to snoop around at night, and in Detroit believe me that looks suspicious!

I can only hope that my house is as well guarded by my neighbors when I finally get to move out.

As for me, I would laugh it off and thank my neighbor for being so vigillant. It's not every day that somebody comes to your defense with a shotgun. Not many people are that brave in Detroit.

I would want your boyfriend to move a.s.a.p. It sounds like he lives in a pretty bad part of Detroit.

Edit - Is there any way that this person's "I was just looking to buy the house" was just a reaction? Perhaps he found out that the house was for sale and decided to come see if he could get any goodies?

It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Oh, we love his neighbors! And yes, we are glad they are watching out for him. The guy with the shotgun also cuts Doug's lawn (for a price!) and the neighbor on the other side will use his snowblower in the winter if D is not there and it snows! D will sometimes shovel the neighbors; walks.

His neighborhood isn't bad, it is one of the better ones in the D. But crime is up eveywhere.