Kitten food advice/questions

tabbygurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well i wanna feed my kittens a porper diet. i'm willing to spend money on food but i dont wana be droke either. now i adopted them last week in a diff state and when i came home I packed a small zip top back of the food that the adoption center was feeding then and then was planning on buying more so i would have enough to slowly transition to a new food. My delema is I cant seem to find the Kitten formula of that food anywhere. Iv gone to all the stores near me and they all don't have kitten formula. So i think im forced into having to switch with a lil transitions in a day or 2 instead of the week or more i had planned the problem is what food should i feed?? I was thinking of Avo derm, but i have read that avocados are poison to cats, So what are your thoughts on blue buffalo, royal canin or maybe siggest another one that is good.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
EVO, Wellness CORE, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature, Natural Balance are all good brands of wet food. Try to feed just wet (or even better go raw). Dry food should be avoided as much as possible IMO if you can.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tabbygurl

Well i wanna feed my kittens a porper diet. i'm willing to spend money on food but i dont wana be droke either. now i adopted them last week in a diff state and when i came home I packed a small zip top back of the food that the adoption center was feeding then and then was planning on buying more so i would have enough to slowly transition to a new food. My delema is I cant seem to find the Kitten formula of that food anywhere. Iv gone to all the stores near me and they all don't have kitten formula. So i think im forced into having to switch with a lil transitions in a day or 2 instead of the week or more i had planned the problem is what food should i feed?? I was thinking of Avo derm, but i have read that avocados are poison to cats, So what are your thoughts on blue buffalo, royal canin or maybe siggest another one that is good.
Yes mixing old and new is better ...

Blue is IMHO solid choice

Royal canin is decent to good , IMHO too grainy

Avoderm is solid but IMHO to many potential allergens

Are you shopping at petsmart?

Dry should be offered to a kitten in a available all the time format....

Wet FOOD I agree is better for a adult cat and YES should be offered regularly to a kitten ....

Raw should only be done after LOTS of research and CONSULTING with a VET or other animal nutrition PROFESSIONAL...

Bottom line is the best diet VARIES cat to cat ... by what they can and will eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbygurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you For the help so I think im going to go with Blue Buffalo. Well i was naming off the foods that i knew. I know theres more out there. but petsmart is basically next door. Im not saying i wont go somewhere else if they dont have it its just convenient i found a place that has EVO thats not to far from me so im gonna go there and see if i can afford it and if so then i will prob go with that.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you go for using Blue Buffalo use the Wilderness Formula.

The best canned food from petsmart is By Nature 95%.

I vote for never feeding any dry but if you have to try still feed at least 50% wet food...when I started raw I just jumped in after I figured out how much of what.

tiberius709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

thank you For the help so I think im going to go with Blue Buffalo. Well i was naming off the foods that i knew. I know theres more out there. but petsmart is basically next door. Im not saying i wont go somewhere else if they dont have it its just convenient i found a place that has EVO thats not to far from me so im gonna go there and see if i can afford it and if so then i will prob go with that.
We feed our two kittens BlueBuff and they absolutely love it. We feed wet two times a day and leave dry out for them. I know there are other foods that are great but I love BB.

Petsmart has had the cans and dry food on sale for a little while in my area so I was able to stock up.

I like how the tuna smells like tuna, chicken like chicken, etc.

tabbygurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i accually decided to go with Enova evo for dry it was like 30 for 15 pounds or something. so i stocked up it should last a lil wile. And then i was going to get the wet from petsmart and feed that 3 times a day until they get to adult hood mixed in with the dry and of course a lil dry out in case they get hungry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

well i accually decided to go with Enova evo for dry it was like 30 for 15 pounds or something. so i stocked up it should last a lil wile. And then i was going to get the wet from petsmart and feed that 3 times a day until they get to adult hood mixed in with the dry and of course a lil dry out in case they get hungry.
that is a awesome price for evo.. I will FYI to you that EVO is a rich food and often causes stool issues

DO NOT mix wet and dry ... bacterial issues can occur ... separate bowls ... IMHO wet morning and afternoon then dry for overnight or meal time the wet and leave dry out all the time for nibbles

tabbygurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok thank you, So what kinds of wet do you feed?? I noticed that Evo only have 1 that is made for kittens. So is it ok if i go and get other brands of wet?? Right now i have Avo derm and EVO as far as wet food goes but since i read that parts of the avocado is poison for cats i don't want to feed to much of it to them. they seem to really like the wet in fact I haven't really seen them eat to much of the dry.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a great price for EVO...that stuff is $30 for 6 lbs here.

For wet food I really don't think there is a huge differance between kitten and adult wet food. You don't have to feed the same brand wet as dry either. EVO has a 95% line that is really good. Petsmart has By Nature 95% which I think is better than EVO wet (EVO dry however is better than By Nature dry).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

ok thank you, So what kinds of wet do you feed?? I noticed that Evo only have 1 that is made for kittens. So is it ok if i go and get other brands of wet?? Right now i have Avo derm and EVO as far as wet food goes but since i read that parts of the avocado is poison for cats i don't want to feed to much of it to them. they seem to really like the wet in fact I haven't really seen them eat to much of the dry.
wet foods kitten is generally higher in protein and fat which = higher calories by roughly ten percent over most adult .. this is a good thing
but like evo has about the same or a bit higher than most kitten... I when I had kittens looked at all stage foods ( basically adult that also fit the AFFCO profile for kitten).... Mix it up with brands , like currently I use five different ones of "varying" quality's ..

for 95%-100% meats check the labels many are SUPPLEMENT only .. this means they are not okay for full time feeding ... IMHO I would be fine with adults eating them with dry but not kittens ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

I believe that the EVO and By Nature 95%'s are completly balanced.
evo regular is for sure the 95% is below...

by nature is the one I wonder about ...

Note I check ALL labels as I have had foods go from complete to supplemental and vice versa ...

it is :By Nature 95% Beef and Liver cat food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO cat food nutrient profiles for growth & maintenance.
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...7DXHLKBWGHFVFE

Evo 95% for adult maintenance:EVO 95% Canned Cat Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for adult maintenance.
http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1664
Meaning NOT that a kitten can eat it but it does NOT meet the criteria for growth

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kittens, Tabbygurl!

It's tough to believe, I know, but dry food isn't actually good for cats, of any age. Here are a few links that help explain why:

Cat Info

The Serious Dangers of Dry Food

Your Diabetic Cat

Veterinarians, as we all know, don't get much nutritional training outside what the Pet Food Industry offers, however, they are in a perfect position to see the results of heavily-processed dry food diets and are beginning to recognize the links between these foods and feline poor health.

Personally, I recommend raw food for cats, but if that's currently not an option, definitely go to an all-wet, grain-free, fish-free canned diet.