Fabric question (wool fabric)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can anyone find a source online that has a chart (or explains) each weight of wool fabric by the yard, and how thick it is for each weight? For example, wool coating fabric sometimes is 13 ounces per yard in weight. I've been going nuts trying to find this out online--you'd think a fabric website would tell you about each weight they sell. Nope. I want to make an 18th C. cloak for reenacting (I did make one, but it was a twill-woven, thin wool, and I want something that can be un-lined, as most ladies' cloaks were then. I had to self-line it to make it heavy enough--and it's a bit too heavy).

Anyway, I'm buying wool on eBay, as it's a lot cheaper there (I buy most of my fabrics there). The sellers don't always know about the fabric, apart from the fiber content, width, etc.

Thanks so much!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I would suggest going to a fabric store and checking the different wools out in person.
I tried that, but ours only has the lightweight wools (and not very helpful staff!). They also don't list anything regarding the ounces thingy. Thanks, though! :-)