Trying To Get In Cupboards

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zebra has been trying to get in the cupboards in the bathroom ever since we moved in here in July. Last week she finally got in and was sitting inside. My husband put those plastic things on the doors for babies so they wont open all the way (but still open a little bit). Zebra has been trying even harder to get into the cupboards since he put those in on Monday. If the bathroom door is closed, she sits outside of it and scratches the door and meows.

When we first moved in, both Zebra and Milo used to go in the kitchen cupboards but stopped once we put the locks on them, but Zebra is not giving up with the bathroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways I can get her to stop trying to get in the cupboards?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zebra is one persistent little kitty.

I wish I could offer some useful advice about your cupboards...
possibly hooks and eyes?

silverstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that they open just a little probably encourages him. You could try installed cabinet magnets that hold the doors shut. I imagine you could pick these up at a large home store

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silverstone

You could try installed cabinet magnets that hold the doors shut.
I didn't even think about the magnets. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a good idea! My Mowgli has this "awful" talent! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d wake up at 3:00 in the morning to bang, bang, bang! It wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t help to yell stop it! (Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m grumpy at that time in the morning) He would just pause until he thought I went back to sleep (at least thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what I think) and start right back up again! He does eventually get in and just likes to sit in there for a bit, maybe take a nap and then heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s out and on his way. Well anyway, I ended up just cleaning out a smaller bathroom cabinet and leaving it open for him. It stopped being fun for him so now Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m able to use it again. So far so good! He hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t tried it anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BABZ

I didn't even think about the magnets. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a good idea! My Mowgli has this "awful" talent! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d wake up at 3:00 in the morning to bang, bang, bang! It wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t help to yell stop it! (Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m grumpy at that time in the morning) He would just pause until he thought I went back to sleep (at least thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what I think) and start right back up again! He does eventually get in and just likes to sit in there for a bit, maybe take a nap and then heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s out and on his way. Well anyway, I ended up just cleaning out a smaller bathroom cabinet and leaving it open for him. It stopped being fun for him so now Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m able to use it again. So far so good! He hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t tried it anymore.
I wish I could leave a cabinet empty but I only have the one in the bathroom. I will try the magnets if I can find them somewhere around here.

Zebra also tries to get in the closets but she can't get in the hall closet because the doors slide and the bedroom closet has a regular door on it because its a walk in closet.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Zebra also tries to get in the closets but she can't get in the hall closet because the doors slide and the bedroom closet has a regular door on it because its a walk in closet.
One day, I came home and found my sweeties fast asleep in my linen closet.
Sheets, towels, pillow cases were scatted on the floor...
my little angels were fast asleep on top of what was our clean linens.

So....
for our sliding closet doors, I had round wood dowels cut to size at our local home supply store, put rubber tips on the ends so they don't scratch the paint and just like a security rod for sliding patio door, use them to keep my relentless kitties from getting into our closets and causing havoc.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

One day, I came home and found my sweeties fast asleep in my linen closet.
Sheets, towels, pillow cases were scatted on the floor...
my little angels were fast asleep on top of what was our clean linens.

So....
for our sliding closet doors, I had round wood dowels cut to size at our local home supply store, put rubber tips on the ends so they don't scratch the paint and just like a security rod for sliding patio door, use them to keep my relentless kitties from getting into our closets and causing havoc.
I routinely wake up to Fatman stuffed into our tiny towel cupboards. They are right outside the bedroom door and above the washer and dryer and somehow he squeezes his big ole butt in there and passes out..On top of the clean towels..BF constantly complains that the towels smell like cat and he gets more fur on him just from drying off!! LOL..

For the OP would it be possible you have mice??? When we first moved into our house last year Fatman and Herc went NUTS!! for the bathroom cupboards and our closets because it turned out we had a mouse in the house. Needless to say when we woke up the next morning we had one proud little killer sitting at the foot of our bed to say "Hey mom and dad look what I did last night....I saved your life"...LOL..Hercules is my little killer

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do seem to absolutely love crawling into things, cubbyholes, boxes, cabinets, closets.........Some have this odd attraction to bathrooms as well
. Maia is definitely a closet case and a bathroom hog! I have one closet that doesn't have a door, she loves to run in there and hide when she is all wound up! My wardrobe she has a slight obsession with
. If I open a door, she tries to sneak up behind me and jump in if I give her the chance, and if the drawers on the bottom are left open for a second, she does the same! She is very good though, I just have to say "no" and she stops......I do bring in boxes for her to play in and she has a carpeted window perch with a ramp all her own! I think the trick is to keep them busy, change things up for them, and definitely secure areas that may be dangerous for them.....