Getting used to a collar.

euphoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I've just recently gotten a collar for my kitten who is about five months old. He's worn a collar before but the new one has a bell on it. It's been about ten minutes since I've slipped it on and he's still going nuts, trying to get to the bell to either A) rip it off ot B) play with it.

How long do y'all think it will take him to get used to it? How long before I realize he'll never get used to it and I break the bell bit off? He doesn't seem annoyed just .. perplexed as to why when he moves, there's a jingle.

I have no problem taking the bell off but I kind of want it on. Sometimes he likes to get himself lost in my house and it would be nice to be able to listen for him in a way. Also, he likes to stalk and it would be nice to know an attack is coming, haha. I have friends with cats who wear bell collars and the cats pay no attention to it but Alister seems determined to get the bell ..

Thanks in advance for the help!

silverstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently put collars on both mine after them going without for years. The purpose was to get a tag on them which i knew the would not like. I had to start with the collar with nothing on it for a couple weeks. They tried to rip it off for the first few days. I them put on a small dangly tag, and after an adjustment period, they are good with that as well.

You may try doing this in steps like this. Go for a week with just the collar, then add something dangly that does not make noise, then add the bell. Being he is a ktten, he is going to be playful with it anyways, but this may give him a chance.

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would take the bell off. I think it's kind of cruel to make them listen to a bell constantly. I worked at a toy store for years and every November we had to put on these bell necklaces and wear them through Christmas. The constant noise was annoying, made me short-tempered at times and gave me headaches. I wouldn't subject a poor kitty to that!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dandi

I would take the bell off. I think it's kind of cruel to make them listen to a bell constantly. I worked at a toy store for years and every November we had to put on these bell necklaces and wear them through Christmas. The constant noise was annoying, made me short-tempered at times and gave me headaches. I wouldn't subject a poor kitty to that!
That bell has got to be a torture!