Body World

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This show is back in Toronto at the Science Centre. I missed it the first time around but want to see it this time. Hubby can get discounted tickets through work so that's a plus as well.

Has anyone here seen it when it was in other cities? I believe it was in Chicago (not sure about that).

I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure that's the one that came over here as well?. Wasn't something on t.v. about it with that Dr Gunther von Hagens?!.

I've watched his shows on t.v. where he does post mortems in front of medical students and the average joe off the street and their fascinating!!.

I would love to see that Linda, so if it ever comes back here i would go.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I refuse to attend based on principle. No one who controls the exhibit in any form will state where these bodies come from. They all claim they "don't know". Does the family know? It is assumed they are prisoners who have no rights in death and no compensation is given to the family. Too shady, no thanks. No wish to support such a practice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

I refuse to attend based on principle. No one who controls the exhibit in any form will state where these bodies come from. They all claim they "don't know". Does the family know? It is assumed they are prisoners who have no rights in death and no compensation is given to the family. Too shady, no thanks. No wish to support such a practice.
I find this post extremely interesting - simply because I heard an interview with a young French woman this morning on CBC radio and she was discussing how she has gone on-line to their website, obtained and signed the permission to have her body donated to this process when she dies. She also indicated that she has the option to withdraw her permission should she change her mind. She believes wholeheartedly in this process and the opportunity for people to learn about our amazing bodies and is very enthusiastic about donating her body. Apparently, from what she was saying, the bodies are donated (by the person themselves as in her case) or the families for science. She also said that the onus is on the donor to pay for shipping their body to the lab for processing which she was quite willing to do.

So personally, after hearing her interview, I very much doubt the bodies are obtained by nefarious means.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it when it was in Los Angeles I think last summer or something. It was pretty cool, but I get funny about guts and stuff sometimes.
Plus there were too many kids running around the place. I think the coolest looking thing was the exhibit of all the veins/arteries/blood vessels in the body. SO MANY!

And yeah, it is a bit creepy that at the end of it all they have a big booth type thing where you can sign up to donate your body... However, they don't just get random bodies off the streets or whatever to plasticize.. http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/body_donation.html

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

They all claim they "don't know". Does the family know? It is assumed they are prisoners who have no rights in death and no compensation is given to the family
If it's the same as the t.v. shows that Dr Gunther von Hagens does, he makes it clear from the beginning that these are people that have handed their bodies over for medical research
Oh it is him!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see it. I first heard of it during my massage therapy school, and thought it would bee cool to be able to observe the way the body actually is under the skin. I have even considered donating my body to it. Otherwise i will donate my body to scientific research.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i watched it on tv when it was on and i was truely amazed at how the body works (even though ive got qualifications in human biology haha) and would love to go see it live or even at a life centre

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My family saw it last time it was in town & LOVED IT! The concessus was 'once you got over the grossness, it was the coolest thing any of them had ever seen!' Then again my family are all big geeks...

We had to choose between Body Worlds & The R.O.M when we were in town last weekend, and we chose the R.O.M since the Ottawa Natural History Museum is under going a three-year reno
& Lucas really loves dinosaurs. I
the R.O.M. it was a GREAT trip!!

I really hope with all the money they get from these exhibitions will be put towards updating the Ontario Science Centre a little - I went 4 - 5 years ago last, and was really disappointed it hadn't changed since I was little

If we're back in town before February we'll be going
(or I will - hubby's not to into it!
)

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, we just heard the ad for Body World and would love to go! I can't seem to find out how long the exhibit will be in Toronto. I missed the last one so have to go to this one.

Rob, also, is one who would easily donate his body to science and he said he would do Body World. I'm not so sure, though.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Cool! I'm glad you mentioned this - we missed it the first time as well and I'd love to see it. It looks like they're selling tickets straight through November on the Science centre's site...so I'm presuming they'll keep it at least that ong.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I saw it when it was in Denver. I thought I might be queasy about it, but really, the human body is so fascinating that I didn't have any problem.