Help! Crust-like layer on kitten's ear not healing.

freyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted this stray kitten about a month and half ago. When he came to my home, he already had this crust-like layer on his ear and bald spots all over his back, but the spots healed and fur grew back on. Only that this crust-like thing wasn't healing. We thought he's sunburned so I kept him in the house but he was still scratching it. It must be annoyingly itchy. I checked the inside of his ears and there were no dark substances that made a case of ear mites probable.

I hadn't brought him to a vet yet because of the remote area I lived in.

I included a picture so if anyone could identify what's wrong, if one could provide home remedies for my poor kitten, you have our heartfelt gratitude.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG! Welcome to the forum!
You will find some wonderful people here and great information and tips! With that being said....PLEASE take him to the vet as soon as possible. I understand that you stated you live in a remote area, but this looks really bad to me. I'm not a vet of course, but I just really think he needs a vet if it's been going on this long.
Someone here might be able to give you a "remedy" of some sort, but I would think something like this would just come back right away, over and over. Again, I'm not a vet, but there are some really experienced people here so hopefully someone will be able to help with a solution right away!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also second a vet visit - remote area or not. Are there any other spots of hairloss/crustiness anywhere else on this kitten?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I also second a vet visit - remote area or not. Are there any other spots of hairloss/crustiness anywhere else on this kitten?
... Many of us travel a distance to the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

... Many of us travel a distance to the vet
only on his ears.

It would be really complicated as I'd have no way to get a pass for him to cross borders.

And, the only vet I knew of (some hundreds of miles away) had a reputation of being incompetent.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Border? Would you mind giving us a general area? I only ask this because someone here might know of a good vet somewhere close to you. You would be surprised at all the different places our members are from that post here.